Last reply 2 weeks ago
Running

Okay so I got diagnosed in July of 2017. I haven’t run since. 2016. I can’t run.I just can’t do it. It physically hurts and my body refuses to move. Can anyone give me tips on how to, like, make that happen for myself?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

Hi @siwongiwe and welcome.

You’ve asked a tough question because MS is an unpredictable condition. Relapses can cause all manner of weaknesses. Some are temporary, others will become permanent. You look young, so I would hope these problems are temporary.

Do you have access to a treadmill? This would seem a safe option for you to try and “re-educate” your legs.

siwongiwe
2 weeks ago

Thank you for responding @stumbler.
I do have access to a treadmill but my MS comes with many balance problems. I am not able to walk easily and properly. I always fall and bump into things. So I don’t know if the treadmill is something I could do as yet.
I’m 21. Are you saying that one day I would be able to run?

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@siwongiwe , it’s possible that you may run again.

MS interferes with the nerve pathways to the brain. These pathways may be able to be re-routed, restoring function. It is just a possibility.

I suggested the treadmill, as you’d be able to hold on. Start with walking, then see if you can progress to jogging and then maybe try running.

siwongiwe
2 weeks ago

Thank you so much @stumbler for this advice. I will try it and post about it to you to let you know how it goes if that’s okay.

vixen
2 weeks ago

[email protected], I get your frustration over this. I am the same but much older, so I guess that makes it easier to take and understand. Do you have access to a good physiotherapist? They would be able to give you the best recommendations based on what they can see of your physical abilities. It”s great that you have found and joined this group The search box above is a great source of information from other posts 😊

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@siwongiwe , yes, do come and update us on how you progress.

siwongiwe
2 weeks ago

Hello @vixen thank you so much for this response and the advice. I am also happy to have joined this group. I feel so represented and affirmed in a way that I have never felt before.

I will look into the physiotherapy stuff as well as use the search box, thank you.

grandma
2 weeks ago

@siwongiwe I hope things will slowly get better for you at your age. I’m 62, had the beast for 26 years. Used to run marathons, did my last one 27 years ago, but I feel good about it because I took a blind runner round, so I did it for her not for me, and the ms hit big time the next yr, so we never know what’s going to happen. I have been on my feet unti last yr so I’ve got nothing to moan about. Good luck and keep us posted about how things are going.😍

siwongiwe
2 weeks ago

@grandma Hahah thank you for sharing and yes, I will do.

fxms
2 weeks ago

I am having a few problems with running as well. I was diagnosed with PPMS this year. Since late 2016, however, every time I try to run I get dizzy after the first 80-100 meters.

To be honest, I am still emotionally processing the diagnosis; but my current objective is to start treatment with Ocrevus this December, together with supplementation of biotin and vitamin D. From January onwards, I would like to start physical therapy to try and control my symptoms better.

All the best!

(PS. I’m 28, male).

cp123
2 weeks ago

Running in the swimming pool is a great way to retrain your legs. I had a holiday to New York booked when I had my first relapse so had to get my act together quickly! I went swimming and did 2 lengths swimming, 2 lengths running and 2 lengths kicking with a float repeatedly for up to an hour. At first one leg was away doing its own thing!!! Then it all came together and after 6 months I managed to go on holiday and get around with a walker.

grandma
2 weeks ago

@cp123 I always advocate swimming anyway, all the weight of your body taken by the water! I can well understand the benefits of ‘running’ in the water, so glad that it worked so well for you. I’m am past that stage now, but still go swimming cos there’s things I can do in the water that I can’t do on land.😍

strictlysoca
2 weeks ago

Hi I lost my run as well however I have managed to work up to a fast paced walk. One of the issues is balance and being able to not have two feet on the ground and weight transfer according to my physio. Having a gait analysis by a physio helped me and some exercises with my feet as it was the loss of tone and strength in my feet that had also affected my run (and the foot drop)

I can do a slow jog but it is so tiring due to balance issues that I can’t keep it up and feel a bit unsafe.

I walk outside but I think treadmill would have been a good idea – I just find the gym a bit limiting when I’m a nature girl at heart. Keep trying as recovery is possible but it might be to a new normal.

Ps yoga/Pilates to get the muscles balanced

ianmsf
2 weeks ago

I used to use a stationary exercise bike, it was good for aerobic exercise, it might be something that you could look at.

katy79
2 weeks ago

@siwongiwe

Have you tried Nordic walking (speed walking with hiking poles) as a stepping stone on the way to running?

It may also be worth posting the query in one of the FB groups for runners with MS (MS Trust has a “Running Club” group and I’m admin of the parkrun group for people with MS . In both people (inc. Tim – below) talk about their experiences of re-gaining running after relapses /running through relapses and with the use of dif. FES/ ankle support devices etc). Hopefully there will be someone with some helpful tips on there (in addition to the suggestions above)?

Everyone’s MS is different – but hopefully this story gives some inspiration and hope

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/man-run-third-london-marathon-12374194

Good luck! xx

richard
2 weeks ago

oh my, this sounds so familiar to me.
diagnosed in 2008, did the GNR for Shift MS after recovering from a relapse.

anyway, I found the local gym with a cross trainer was good. Can do running with arms to keep balance on the ski poles.
after that i used the static cycles to build up strength and stamina.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.