Last reply 1 year ago
Rituximab in the UK?

Hi All,

Does anyone here have experience of receiving Rituximab in the UK? (Scotland)

JCV seroconverted recently while on Tysabri and looking at switching options. Fingolimod being suggested but data from Sweden (Alping P, Frisell T, Novakova L, et al. Rituximab versus fingolimod after natalizumab in multiple sclerosis patients. Ann Neurol. 2016;79:950–958.) suggests that Rituximab might be the preferable option. Unfortunately Ocrelizumab at least another year away so is it possible to obtain Rituximab in the UK, either off-label or privately?

Many thanks in advance

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

Hi @galatea and welcome.

Rituximab may be a bit of a problem as, you’re right, you would need it off-label.

However, Daclizumab was approved by Nice in March. Is this an option for you?

galatea
1 year ago

Hi @stumbler,

Yeah, just wondering if it’s at all possible and if anyone has been through that process.

I’ve been informed that Daclizumab isn’t available right at this moment but could be very soon, so might be another option. However can’t find a lot of info on switching from NTZ to Daclizumab, where as there’s a fair bit with Rituximab.

Cheers

stumbler
1 year ago

@galatea , I’d give the MS Society a call (MS Helpline 0808 800 8000) and see if they have any details for you…..

stumbler
1 year ago

@galatea , there’s a bit here about using a bridging agent, when switching from natalizumab to alemtuzumab:-

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2016/04/

galatea
1 year ago

@stumbler, thanks for that – hadn’t realised they’d published/updated, good to know. Pity it’s stated that they can’t use ritixumab off-label in England and Wales, wonder if same in Scotland? I’ll give the MS Society a try.

Interesting comment by LC on that page, ritixumab being a permanent option rather than a bridging agent to alemtuzumab as it’s similar high efficacy.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.