Last reply 2 weeks ago
Ribs being crushed

I haven’t written or looked at this sight for a while now. I STILL haven’t been diagnosed and now I have been feeling as though my ribs are being crushed. It started on the left and has begun to be all the way around for a couple weeks. This is unbearable pain. I have been diagnosed with Conversation Disorder by my GP. I live in a small town and have been red flagged with this, so I get absolutely no help. I was beside myself with pain a couple days ago(still the same ) , but I was given quetiopine, which is an antipsychotic and buscopan for IBS. I feel Even my family is starting to think I am crazy. I’m waiting for an appointment with a neurophychiatic hospital but it is a year wait as there is only 1 in all of Manitoba. I am supposed to be getting an appointment in the spring. In the mean time, I feel more and more alone and desperate. I am feeling like I am losing my mind and people are annoyed by me. I don’t know how to do this anymore!!! This has been going on for 6 years and I have been off work for a year and a half now. I have had 2 MRI’s without contrast. This showed white matter lesions on my frontal lobes but my doctor won’t do anything else because I apparently have Conversation Disorder.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ā€˜xā€™.

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@unsure , are you sure the Doctor isn’t suggesting Conversion disorder. This is a mental condition in which a person has blindness, paralysis, or other nervous system (neurologic) symptoms that cannot be explained by medical evaluation.

Now that is a bit of a cop-out as it’s no diagnosis at all!

Prescribing Quetiapine is also somewhat questionable, but I’m not medical so that’s just my opinion.

All in all, your story seems too fit the bill for an MS diagnosis. The unbearable pain around your ribs is potentially the “MS Hug”, https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/ms-hug .

Try contacting the MS Society and see if they can offer any advice :-

https://mssociety.ca/division/manitoba-division

Hopefully, some of our Canadian members will offer some advice too.

unsure
3 weeks ago

Thank you for your help! I did mean to say that my doctor has diagnosed me with Conversion Disorder. I spelt it wrong. My doctor wrote that as his diagnosis and every time I try to explain something he literally tells me that I will get no more tests, because some day I might actually have something and nobody is going to believe me anymore. I literally feel like I’m insane!!

jolea
3 weeks ago

Hi.
They need to rule out all other diseases before stating you have conversion disorder. Which is now called FND.
Get a second opinion. This is very much like MS, but is not disease lead and appears medically unexplained.
LJl.šŸ‘§

unsure
2 weeks ago

I am waiting for help through something called Medical Confidence, through my disability insurance. It is very hard to believe and if I wasn’t living it myself, I wouldn’t believe it either, but the biggest problem is that I live in a very small town and once my doctor realized that I had gone to another Dr. , Who gave me an abdominal CT , my Dr. literally went and told the other Dr. that I am cut off from testing until I get into the neurophychiatic Dr. I went back to the hospital 2 days ago (on the advise of the person working with me for Medical Confidence ) and was told that I am too complicated and it must be psychogenic pain. I am literally having a hard time keeping myself together between excruciating flank pain and being told that it’s in my head. I just pray for this Medical Confidence to be able to rush this along for me. Don’t know how much more I can take!

grandma
2 weeks ago

We’re all here for you. You are in what we call ‘Limboland’ worst place on earth to be. You will understand the feeling of relief when you finally get an ms diagnosis. Under normal circumstances you wouldn’t wish it on your worst enemy, but it’s great when someone tells you that you’re not going nuts, all your wierd symptoms are finally explained. No more trying to explain to unsympothetic gp’s (or their equivalent in Canada) no more being diagnosed with mental issues cos YOURE ARE
NOT GOING NUTS! Anyone would think that someone would be pleased to be told they had a degenerative lifetime disease!šŸ˜–šŸ˜«šŸ˜¤šŸ˜”šŸ˜šŸ¤™šŸ™šŸ»šŸ¤—

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@unsure , did the local MS Society have any advice for you?

@melissa-g , would you have any suggestions from a Canadian perspective?

unsure
2 weeks ago

Thank you for your support @grandma. I am going to try to get a hold of the MS society now and see what their advice is. I truly appreciate everyone’s support and advise!! Especially to hear that I’m not going nuts. It’s hard not to question if the doctor is right, but I know in my soul there is something wrong!!

unsure
2 weeks ago

So I spoke with someone at the MS society and they are unable to do anything as far as seeing a doctor without a referal.
On a good note. I read that wrapping a scarf around my ribs might help and either it is in my head or it took the edge off. It didn’t take the pain totally away, but it’s a little more manageable.

potter
2 weeks ago

It took me ten years to get diagnosed, my GP wouldn’t give me a referral to a neuro, he thought I was a hypochondriac. I have a family history of MS and he still wouldn’t give a referral. I finally got one when I went in for a painful elbow and arm, he thought I had pinched a nerve. After I spoke to the neuro he thought I had MS and I did. Potter

melissa-g
2 weeks ago

@stumbler @unsure

My only advice is to go into and emergency room if things get quite bad and tell them about suspected MS, and hope they go through with the appropriate testing. Iā€™m sorry you are going through this!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.