Last reply 3 weeks ago
Relapse misery

So had what I consider my first proper Relapse, course of steroids I still feel dizzy and have this dazed feeling. just not myself.
Actually feels pretty scary like it’s hit home this could be the rest of my like unbalanced etc.
Work is doing the best they can but when you’re job is caring for other people at the moment I don’t feel comfortable doing that.
It’s so shit.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
3 weeks ago

Yes it is shit but you will get over it! I’m an old codger, have had the beast for 25 years, couple of relapses a year, on Tecfidera now after 23 years on Avonex but things will get better. I was on my feet for 24 years, was told the rrms would become spms in 10-15 years,it took 23 so I’m not complaining. Only now need some help with walking and there was no choice of DMT then like there is now so don’t despair. It’s no longer the life sentence it used to be so take this ‘down time’ to take stock, plan your future, marriage, kids, job change, whatever you want. You can do anything you want. Saw an athlete on the box this morning at the Invictus games, she is an mser. There is life after diagnosis. Keep your chin up.😍

sylvia_sparkle
3 weeks ago

@grandma
Thank you think it’s just feel bad that’s made it hit home

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@sylvia_sparkle , you’ll regain your sense of perspective. Just be patient with yourself.

Steroids aren’t a quick fix. Primarily, they will address the inflammation on your Central Nervous System (CNS) that has caused the relapse. This will then allow your recovery to take place. The Steroids will be helping this recovery over the following 6 to 8 weeks.

But, you must try and rest up to allow this recovery to take place.

I should hope that this course of events will start a discussion with your Neurologist regarding taking on a Disease Modifying Therapy (DMT). The following brochure is an introduction to these treatments :-

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/store-pdfs/Disease-modifying-drugs-WEB.pdf

vixen
3 weeks ago

Hello @sylvia_sparkle, on your profile you didn’t know the type of MS, do you know now? Regarding work, the law of the land is very much there to protect you, so you will be fine and this is going to be a hopefully short-lived blip. Both the relapse and the steroid will have an effect on your body, so you just need to ride it out until it all levels off again (which it will). It is rubbish though, no denying that! Stay strong, be sweet and kind to yourself and allow yourself lots of treats. You didn’t ask for this, but you need to find a way to punch through and get your life back again x

sylvia_sparkle
3 weeks ago

@stumbler Thanks for the information.
Cant help feeling embarrassed and guilty for not being at work I was already on my final warning for sickness I’ve been using holiday to cover sickness and that’s fast running out. So I havent gone off sick sick via GP, but it’s not turning around fast as I thought it would because I’ve never been this bad all new exhausting experience for me. Neurology next month hopefully you are right and he does suggest a DMT

sylvia_sparkle
3 weeks ago

@vixen I’m assuming RRMS as that’s what’s been thrown about since they said I might have MS which was you do have MS. Trying not to give myself a hard time I just thought I’d be back to my normal self by now

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@sylvia_sparkle , employers have been clamping down on employee’s casual absence for years. When I say casual absence, I mean the Friday or Monday absence, to make the weekend longer or allow a hangover to go.

Your absence is not casual. You have been diagnosed with an incurable, degenerative and progressive condition and your employers may need to be advised of this, if not already advised.

As @vixen suggested, you shouldn’t be made to feel guilty or fearful of misconduct. You do have some legal protection under the Equality Act 2010 . You may want to have a brief read :-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/equality-act-2010-guidance

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.