senang78 26/05/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Relapse?

Morning all,

A quick question. I was diagnosed just over a mobth ago following numbness down most of the right hand side of my body. I haven’t yet had a follow up appointment with my neuro, he kind of sent me on my way and said let it sink in, talk in more detail later.

For a couple of days now I’ve had pins and needles down my left arm and my left foot. Is this a relapse? Should I be doing something? I’m on holiday 🙂 and just want to get on, but also worried.

Thank you,

Nicole

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@senang78 , have a read of this website for a definition of a relapse :-

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/types-of-ms/relapsing-remitting-rrms

If you are still concerned by this, then have a chat with your MS Nurse. They’re a lot more accessible than your Neuro.

It could be that you’ve just pushed yourself too hard and your body is saying, “Whoa!”. We do have to listen to our bodies and react accordingly.

Try not to worry unduly. Otherwise this may become a self-fulfilling prophecy! 😉

webbexpress
3 years ago

I used to regularly get pins and needles, not necessarily as a relapse, that would fade after a while. The nature of MS (certainly in my case) is there can be lots of little sensations that come and go so to some extent is best to not worry too much as Mr Stumbler said. Also definitely useful to have MS nurse’s number, I’ve used it in a similar position when out the country for reassurance!

Enjoy your holiday!! 🙂

cameron
3 years ago

It can be difficult to know a) if something is a relapse in itself, b) if it’s the original one gradually tailing off or c) if it’s one of the ‘come and go’ symptoms. I get the impression even the neuros aren’t too sure at times. I’ve been told ‘it could be…. or then again…..’ (etc.) I think it’s important to keep a (brief but accurate) symptom diary so that you can have the conversation with the MS nurse as soon as you get back from holiday. I do know that although steroids are often prescribed, doctors are cautious and won’t (or shouldn’t!) offer them unless the relapse is severe – the potential side effects can outweigh the benefit. From what you say, your symptoms are annoying rather than acute (?) i.e. you are functioning OK generally, so (IMO) they may well not rush to prescribe anything. @stumbler is so right – stress can produce symptoms and make existing ones worse. Start your symptom diary, speak to your MS nurse as soon as possible when you get back and in the meantime see how much better you feel when you start to relax. Have a lovely, lovely holiday. xx

cameron
3 years ago

It can be difficult to know a) if something is a relapse in itself, b) if it’s the original one gradually tailing off or c) if it’s one of the ‘come and go’ symptoms. I get the impression even the neuros aren’t too sure at times. I’ve been told ‘it could be…. or then again…..’ (etc.) I think it’s important to keep a (brief but accurate) symptom diary so that you can have the conversation with the MS nurse as soon as you get back from holiday. I do know that although steroids are often prescribed, doctors are cautious and won’t (or shouldn’t!) offer them unless the relapse is severe – the potential side effects can outweigh the benefit. From what you say, your symptoms are annoying rather than acute (?) i.e. you are functioning OK generally, so (IMO) they may well not rush to prescribe anything. @stumbler is so right – stress can produce symptoms and make existing ones worse. Start your symptom diary, speak to your MS nurse as soon as possible when you get back and in the meantime see how much better you feel when you start to relax. Have a lovely, lovely holiday. xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.