marymoo 08/05/17
Last reply 8 months ago
Reducing work hours

I have recently formally requested to reduce my hours from a 40 hour week to a 35 hour week due to feeling like I’m running on empty a majority of the time. I’ve also just started on Tecfidera which is taking its toll. I’m worried about this meeting as I’m not good at talking, I get jumbled up a lot and in the end come across as clumsy and pretty feeble. I’m worried I’m going to be questioned and not understood. I’m not sure how I explain to someone how my MS effects me without them rolling their eyes.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

marymoo
1 year ago

Thank you, I have them x

potter
1 year ago

If your having some problems with Tec just ask for help. I have been on it for 4 years so I can answer most questions. Potter

marymoo
1 year ago

Thank you Potter, my symptoms are in line with expected side effects. Hopefully they will calm down. I’m more concerned about work and them not understanding, has anyone else had any experience with reducing hours and how they presented themselves when spoken to about it?

hels99
1 year ago

I asked for flexible working (as in some home working – I work in an office so this was possible) when I started my current job. I didn’t say much about it other than I have fatigue and would need some flexibility. No one rolled their eyes! Your employer has a legal duty to make reasonable adjustments and it is about supporting you to be more effective at work ie there is a benefit to the employer. Perhaps you could take someone you trust to the meeting with you ? Or you could try writing down what you want to say beforehand and handing them that if you get tongue tied. If you are a union member they should be able to advise and, if your employer has an occupational health department, do ask for a referral to them – they will make a recommendation to your employer on your behalf.
Good luck!

marymoo
1 year ago

Thank you so much for responding, I will let you know how it goes. I put it all in an initial letter to the MD, I don’t want to feel as though I have to explain myself anymore than that. Hopefully I won’t need to. I’m very uncomfortable with it all, and to be honest still trying to get my head around even having MS. Unfortunately I don’t feel I have anyone who could come in with me, I’m not sure what their role would be. It might just make me look more silly. Thank you again for getting in touch, I really appreciate it x

marymoo
8 months ago

They did not understand or help so I have left the company. Fingers crossed my new employer has more of a heart x

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.