5 years ago
Recovering strength and mobility

Hi All, any ideas/experience on regaining strength in legs? After 10 years of MS relapses etc, my mobility and balance is pretty dreadful. I need to regain muscle tone and mass as my left leg in particular is all skinny and crap. I realise that PT is the answer, but to be honest I find it hardgoing and I get disheartened when it doesn’t work immediately… (lazy huh?). Can I regain strength through PT? And how long does it take? I want to chase my kids round the garden and be able to walk them to school. Any thoughts much appreciated…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Hi Samuel, that is also something I am looking into, my legs and regaining strength in them, I dont know if this is going to be possible with PPMS but I think Ive sust the upper body with the IJoy Twist, now I need to strengthen the lower body, I am thinking about a leg press, probably lots of money!

Can you get referred to a Neuro-physiotherapist. They can recommend the right type of exercises to address your core muscles and aid your balance.
You do need some professional guidance, but it will involve discipline on your behalf

Anonymous

Aqua therapy is terrific for regaining leg strength.

Neuro physio is key. You won’t know till you get a proper assessment how much function is recoverable and what you can do to compensate for any loss. It may be more a question of learning to use different muscles by re-training the brain. As has been said, this is a long process but potentially do-able. In combination with this, have you thought about Functional Electrical Stimulation? This acts both as a stabiliser for weak muscles (and thereby reduces falls) and as an aid to re-training the brain. Thirdly, improving your core stability is really important. Having tried various things for this, I have concluded that the best and fastest way to get your core very strong is Pilates.

Anonymous

And pilates! Just like @cameron stated.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.