Last reply 1 year ago
Recovering from antibiotics

Hi all,

Anyone know of any probiotics that are particularly good to help getting things back on track after a lot of antibiotics? I was just wondering if there were some better suited to the task or if it’s just a case of finding some with high quantity of active whatsits (that’s the scientific term incase you didn’t know) ?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@lilbird , why not pop in and see your local pharmacist and ask their advice……..?

potter
1 year ago

I take probiotics all of the time, I started taking them daily when I started taking Tecfidera to help with digestive issues. They really helped, I just take the best one on sale that I can afford. I am almost 65 so I have to take probiotics with more Lactobacillus in them than other live cultures. Younger people need less of that particular culture. I am just getting over a round of antibiotics and have read that you need to rebuild your prebiotics also in your gut system. All I could find was some expensive pills you could buy, but my research found a few foods: raw asparagus, chicory, and flaxseeds. I ordered some coffee with chicory mixed in it, I bought a couple of bundles of asparagus and I’ll add some flaxseeds to my morning cereal. I have started munching on the asparagus as a snack, I haven’t tried the coffee yet, I guess you either love it or hate it coffee. Potter

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hemsley+hemsley – it’s a cook book – have a lovely chicory coffee recipe. They also discuss good gut bacteria and swear by bone broth (as do I). Get their books they’re great for healthy eating. No gluten/refined sugar/processed food, good organic meat and fish and good quality dairy are included. I’m gluten, dairy, refined sugar, processed food and legume free and I adapt the recipes I need to. Also look up Deliciously Ella – Deliciously Stella is also very funny.
Probiotics – I’ve tried symrove (v expensive), I’m about to get some kefir and I should be eating more fermented food, like saukraat (fermented cabbage). I don’t touch antibiotics unless I really have to. Good luck ?

cameron
1 year ago

I was told that antibiotics kill off all your vitamin B, so a simple vitB complex tablet should really help.

potter
1 year ago

I have tried kefir ended up pouring it down the drain, but I think I will have some saurkraut with my lunch today. I’ll pick us some Vit B complex this week thank you everyone for the info. Potter

lilbird
1 year ago

Thanks for all the helpful replies ?

@stumbler you always make such sensible suggestions that for some reason I am unable to think of by myself! ? I would have thanked you sooner but haven’t been able to get shift to load on either of my devices until today?? Have there been issues or is it me?

I’ll have to look further into the food angle @potter, can’t bear asparagus or chicory but I do have some flaxseed that I may have to get creative with…

Hi @vickivictoria, to be honest since my biggest relapse (that ultimately led to diagnosis) nearly 2 years ago I have gradually slipped from what was a pretty sensible well thought out diet into some pretty bad habits born partly from practical problems being unable to cook for myself but probably equally from boredom & laziness. I definitely know this is an area of life I need to address & it looks like now is the time! Sadly the antibiotics were essential so I’ll have to look up your suggestions & see what I can find.

I’d never heard that @cameron so thank you I shall search for vit B as well ?

stumbler
1 year ago

@lilbird , I’m not aware of any system problems over the last fortnight, although there may have been some problems beforehand.

I’m too much of a gentleman to suggest it may have been you…… 😳

lilbird
1 year ago

It was strange @stumbler, I had been reading various posts & when I attempted to open one to comment it wouldn’t open. Some others would but gradually the things that would respond when I clicked got less until all I could do was scroll the page. I left it for a while to do other things but it was the same when I came back so I shut it down & attempted to start over thinking that would sort it but then it wouldn’t even load. As I said before neither device had any success. I tried repeatedly over the next couple of days & finally today, success ? Seems fine so far today so hopefully whatever weird anti shift aura I was emitting has passed ?

stumbler
1 year ago

As long as it’s all working now, @lilbird.

I was locked out for a week at the beginning of February, so don’t think it’s picking on you! :mrgreen:

potter
1 year ago

Lilibird there is more to the list of prebiotic foods, some of them I have never seen in our area. Jerusalem artichoke, raw wheat bran, banana, raw onions, raw garlic and raw leeks. Most of these people already include these in their diets. I’m not much of a banana person but I guess it wouldn’t kill me to have one as a snack. Potter

lilbird
1 year ago

Just noticed some info suggesting that chicory is not recommended during pregnancy, not heard that before. I haven’t looked into it any further but thought I should mention it here just incase it was relevant to anyone reading this at some point.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.