robl 06/04/18
Last reply 3 months ago
Question on relapses

Hi everybody,

Has anybody ever had a relapse where new symptoms just kept on coming and everytime you thought you had it covered something new turned up? This relapse started with dizziness and anxiety. Dizziness has now gone anxiety, alas, has not. Then ON came along and is still in residence. Then the leg sensations ( cold/ post cramp bruised sensation. Then pectoral muscle pain. Now pain in groin. Starting think im becoming a bit of a hypochondriac!!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@robl , the definition of a relapse is as follows :-

“A relapse is defined by “the appearance of new symptoms, or the return of old symptoms, for a period of 24 hours or more – in the absence of a change in core body temperature or infection”. Symptoms you have experienced before, or perhaps grown used to dealing with, might appear in a different part of the body.”

If you’re sure it is relapse activity, you need to sit back, rest and relax and wait for the storm to pass.

Also, get in contact with your MS Nurse to update them on what’s occurring.

robl
3 months ago

Thank you stumbler. That description helped! Just so confusing at times isnt it! Thanks for the support!

vixen
3 months ago

Hello @robl, how long has the relapse been going on? I think the trouble with definitions is that in reality, it’s not so easy to box up symptoms and timings to fit into an easily identifiable package. Another major problem is that no two people ever experience the same thing so it’s often difficult to draw parallels. If you do get to the bottom of the mystery, please do share! Other than that, continue to rest and relax, and go out of your way to minimise any stress. Wishing you improving health x

robl
3 months ago

Hi @vixen,

Relapse has been goimg on for around 8 weeks now. With all of these symptoms at one point or another. My original understanding of relapse has changed during this time as i originally believed that you would have a certain set of symptoms that would stay until the relapse was over. I was unaware of this evolution between symptoms during the same relapse. Thanks for you wishes and support! 😊

beefree
3 months ago

Hi @robl

Yes, I did, throughout October. It was very confusing.

The symptoms I presented with in August, when diagnosed with CIS, were optic neuritis and altered sensation in my left hand and arm. In October, back at work in a new role that I accepted before the summer, I experienced nearly every symptom associated with MS.

Sensation in my left lower leg was patchy, on a number of occasions my short term memory failed spectacularly, I had internal tremor and ongoing spasms… I was so used to fluctuating symptoms that when my face tingled and went numb in a meeting, I simply carried on.

New to MS, I was very scared by what was happening and what it meant. My MS nurse was friendly but dismissive. The symptoms were new but none quite lasted 24 hours, which meant this prolonged period of MS activity wasn’t at the time classified as a relapse.

She told me to avoid conflating symptoms of stress with symptoms of MS, and to focus on stress management to avoid aggravating my symptoms. Dizziness is a symptom of an anxiety attack, I think: https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/anxiety-information/

That said, in February, my neurologist diagnosed MS on the basis that what I experienced in October was a relapse. The symptoms had been new and had all the hallmarks of MS, which he felt was enough when taken with my a positive lumbar puncture.

He explained that MRIs are reliable but brain matter is complex. Tiny lesions, capable of significant effects, won’t always be visible depending on where they are. He did say that the judgement call is subjective, with different neurologists likely to have different views.

My neurologist is brilliant, really it’s my confidence in him that stops me from going crazy trying to understand MS’s surprises and unknowns. He’s forward thinking and progressive, and listens to what I’m experiencing as a complement to the test results.

When there is uncertainty, feeling that you are in good hands is important, for me anyway.

robl
3 months ago

Hi @beefree

Thanks for you response! Im so lucky to have found shift! I live alone so sometimes can get in my own head a bit in regards to all the ticks and twitches and new sensations. My MS nurse and family are very supportive but obviously getting advice and support from other MSers is very reassuring. I hope that your symptoms have settled a little now.
Wishing you well for the future.

beefree
3 months ago

I feel lucky to have found shift too!

Just spotted your first post on managing anxiety. Since the summer I’ve been doing 10 minutes meditation every day. I swear by it! It has a cumulative effect, so the more I practice, the better it calms my mind, and the more easily I can conjure the mental tools when I need them. Mindspace is a great starting point: https: //www.headspace.com

Good luck with it.

robl
3 months ago

I too have started meditation after my MS nurse recommended the “Calm” app. Im finding it really helpful and i as you said “conjured” thw breathing technique earlier when i felt a little anxious. I will check mind space out. Thank you! 😊

robl
3 months ago

Sorry head space. I dont know my head from my mind sometimes 😂

beefree
3 months ago

haha, I do the same thing, I think because technically mind would be more accurate. Headspace, Headspace, Headspace….

robl
3 months ago

Haha theres definitely a space in my head! 😂

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.