theresabh 01/04/17
Last reply 10 months ago
Question about relapses

Hello everyone,
I’m new here and happy to join you all.

I have had relapsing-remitting MS for many years now and I’m currently having a particularly difficult relapse atm which means I can’t really walk and it’s been my longest at nearly 4 months.

I’m just wondering how long it may last?

What are other people’s experience for length of a relapse? Has anyone thought it was getting better only for it to suddenly worsen?

I guess I’m worried this might never get better…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

islandgal
10 months ago

Hello, well iv had symptoms for 10 years diagnosed april 2015 had relapse end of year.weird thing for me though i think iv had relapses and not even know.i just would feel way worse and just got on with it. It took me months to get over first relapse and it can leave you with pemanent damage with some people. As of now my ms nurse thinks iv been having relapses to where im housebound mostly now .fatigue amd weakness is wiping me out more last few months.i feel for you as walking us such a given to healthy people .its a struggle for us .but im sure youll have better days…just we never know when!

islandgal
10 months ago

Oh and length of relapse is different for all really ..days..weeks..months.just have to go with it and look after yourself best way poss

highheeledfagin
10 months ago

I find that the relapse itself only lasts a few days, but the damage that it caused can take months to recover from and still not get back to 100%. The first proper problem that I had with my leg took two years of Physio and Pilates – it got me off of the walking stick but not back to normal. After another relapse last year, the process starts again.

sonja1966
10 months ago

Welcome Theresabh. I’ve been experiencing MS symptoms for 13 years. My symptoms have worsen and seem to only stop briefly at times. I have to walk with a walker because I have pain, weakness and clumsiness. My life definitely changed at an early age. Hopefully one day it will be better for all of us.

islandgal
10 months ago

Yes i wish you all well as i really can change our lives. Going out alone looking drunk just isnt apealing anymore, stick or no stick! They tell you to keep up with moderate exercise which i try but fatigue just wont allow most of the time.has anyone found they could manage swimming if one side of body wont play ball? I mean has it been if help? I want to try but since i had to leave an aqua class as i got into trouble im kinda scared .people go swimming with ms right?

highheeledfagin
10 months ago

At the height of my issues with my leg and core, I would go swimming once a week. My problems weren’t as severe as one whole side playing up so maybe consider going with a friend. It was great to be able to do a fair bit of exercise without having to deal with balance and keeping myself upright for an hour.

Pilates DVDs are also great: you do so much work in relatively small movements, from your bed or floor.

islandgal
10 months ago

Thanks.iv been into pilates 15 yearsand helped a back problem so i kniw its still a good idea.my situ is im on my own with out friends unfor ..the few i had after a split have kinda dissapeared since diagnosis so it makes going anywhere hard worj but i do what i can .yes i may try swimming and see i rekon.it all helps doesnt it

mem2696
10 months ago

Hello TheresaBH
I relapse/attack is just like MS, unpredictable and different for everybody. Talk with Nero Doc, Discuss steroids, they can help speed up the relapse however, they can cause some to have side effects. Dealing with new issues like using walker,going to physical therapy and even changing medicine has been good way for me to feel like I am proactive. This will end and you will fight on! Good Luck

theresabh
10 months ago

Thanks for the responses and support.
I’m feeling a little more hopeful now so thank you : )

abhishiv90
10 months ago

@theresabh

Firstly, could I know if you were on any treatment to treat the relapse? And ya, I’ve had RRMS since 2004, last July, I had a relapse with the leg and I was on a few rounds of solumedrol after which, it effectively took me nearly 4 months to be on my feet without any disturbances. And about feeling like things are getting worse, I walked in to the hospital for the treatment. But when I got home after the treatment, I couldn’t even walk from the bed to the rest room without help, haha. So ya, I had the same fear. But it all worked out fine in the end. Just gotta take it easy and give it time.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.