Anonymous 05/02/17
Last reply 1 year ago
Privacy & Confidentiality on Shift.MS

Hello all,

I’d like to raise a point about this platform that I am really concerned about:

My PC and phone keep logging me out of this website whenever I leave it, which made me notice that I still can read ALL the information on Shift.MS even though I’m not logged in. The only thing a non-member or somebody without a login doesn’t seem to be able to do is commenting.

Many of us are posting incredibly personal information on this page and many of us are likely to be identifiable (i.e. from profile pictures, user names, disclosure of location, etc.), at least for somebody who knows what they are looking for. I think this urgently needs addressing.

Also, I do wonder whether it is worth having some kind of a moderation mechanism for people who join. For example, we had some students joining about postgraduate courses as they misunderstood the nature of the platform. These instances were just little hassles and the students seem to have deleted their accounts when they noticed their mistake.

However, I would really like to see a mechanism where we can ensure that potential employers, insurers, ex-partners, etc. cannot nilly-willy join this page as this could have very serious ramifications for members of the MS community here, who candidly discuss very personal health information.

What are your takes?

TT xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Anonymous
1 year ago

This crossed my mind too, which is why I only use nicknames on the web & why I’ve change my headshot photo back to a more generic image.
It’s a fine line between honest open information for genuine MSers to see & being left wide open for abuse, I think that line maybe crossed.

stumbler
1 year ago

@thoughtfultraveller , this is an open public forum, so anonymity is down to each individual member. It is their choice whether to provide their own picture or an unidentifiable picture. The same applies to information regarding names and locations.

All new registrants are vetted, as much as their initial information allows.

All forum activity is monitored to identify “non-desirables” and any infringement of the Forum House Rules.

I hope this answers your concerns. 😉

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Just out of interest have I done any infeingey fings yet or do I get away with if with me sh1t eating grin and handsome good looks I’v put on me disguise after reading this I was gonna draw on a beard and glassss but if already got both and tbh I can’t be arsed te he he.

How’s it going everyone is ta reet today?

stumbler
1 year ago

Guilty conscience, @doubleo7hud ? 😉

We support and advise on this forum, so if you haven’t been given any advice, then you’re doing fine. 😉

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

@stumbler is guilty conscience another symptom of ms old boy iv not yet encountered this and hope I don’t 😉

stumbler
1 year ago

@doubleo7hud , we’re male. A guilty conscience goes with the territory! lol 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

men don’t naturally have guilt – it’s women that give it to us 🙂

red-suzuki
1 year ago

Tee hee….. @doubleo7hud & @stumbler, good to see you @stumbler……[email protected],,,,,Though did like your old photo with the grown up…….erm, sorry baby. Well @thoughtfultraveller, we want as much Contact, feel good, rant & help etc….. & this site does all that & more, its just that minority of nah-do-wells that screw everything for the genuine folk here 🙂

lucyh
1 year ago

Dear @thoughtfultraveller, I’m with you on this one. I would not have the slightest idea how to trace someone from this site, but I bet if someone was IT-savvy and determined….

My location has now been altered….I think you are right, it is too easy for ‘outsiders’ to access the information, but as stumbler points out, it is a public and open forum and we need to protect ourselves. Still, I’d love to see how the new map works…although I will show in as living in Belgium now!!!

Take care and thanks for the heads-up, lucyh (not my real name 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

all the places in the world & you picked Belgium????? :0

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.