gemma1988 29/09/14
Last reply 3 years ago
Pregnancy and Ms

Hi, I have 2 children already before I had Ms they are 2 and 4 years old my Ms nurse asked me if me and my husband 2 be would like anymore and if so to consider It before starting dmt. I would love to complete my family by having a 3rd child as this was always our plan after the wedding (5 weeks away) but feel worried to now as I have ms and in some ways feel selfish for wanting another baby! Is there any1 that’s had a baby since diagnosis? Was it different? Cope ok? Etc.

Thank you xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

northernlass
3 years ago

Best of luck to you @Gemma1998 and your family. I didn’t have my two children after I was diagnosed (14 & 17) but it is thought I had my first relapse 20 years ago and may have been having relapses ever since..(Still unclear.. but all unknown by me) A few people have already said that now and in the future is a good time (if any) to get MS as there are so many treatments out there now and new treatments being trailed right now. So my advise is go for it complete your family and don’t look back as there may just be a cure around the corner anyway 🙂 Best wishes

gemma1988
3 years ago

Thanks for your reply 🙂 I know your right there is so many treatments now… Just get so worried about the future! Xxx

phoenix
3 years ago

Hi, I was diagnosed in December 2010 and had my son in May 2013. I had actually started Copaxone before I got pregnant and just stopped until 6 weeks after the birth. I’m one of the lucky ones so far who doesn’t have too many noticeable symptoms but I felt fine during the pregnancy – just the normal fatigue that people talk about. In saying that though, being my first pregnancy, I don’t really know if I had it worse than normal, if you know what I mean. My neuro had me do a few additional MRI’s before and after my pregnancy and whilst there was no movement when I was pregnant, the one about 2 months after the birth did show a new small lesion.

The research that I did, backed up by my neuro said that MS symptoms tend to settle down when you are pregnant but you can have a flare up in the first 3 months after. My neuro actually joked to me that I’d be perfectly ok if I could just stay pregnant for the next 20 years:)

Only you can decide to go ahead with having another – you certainly know what you’ll be in for as you’re already coping with a 2 and 4 year old. For me, it was the best decision that I have made but it did take me a while to get used to the diagnosis first. Now I’m starting to think about having a second – I just don’t know if I can go back to the sleepless nights:) Good luck.

gemma1988
3 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for replying to this…your storey sounds good! Yes I am well used to sleepless nights I’m not so worried about the baby it’s more like you say if I have a relapse and its a really big one 🙁 that’s one thing I feel I am not over the diagnosis yet so we are going to wait a little while just so I can get used to things! You’ll have to let me know how you get on if you have another 🙂 there worth most things I find it amazing and honoured to be a mum to the 2 little girls I’ve got… Just don’t want to regret saying no more just because of MS!,
Did you find your Ms symptoms came back straight away after having. Abby my symptoms are more fatigue and dizziness occasionally.

Gemma x

phoenix
3 years ago

I don’t have a lot of MS symptoms anyway – normally just tingling, burning and ‘mild’ fatigue. These always get worse when I’m tired or stressed so at the time, I put everything down to ‘new mummy syndrome’. I haven’t really had any noticeable relapses since I was diagnosed – the only way I find out whether my meds are working and my MS is stable is to have an MRI. So far anyway – I just hope it stays that way.

It does take time to ‘get over’ the diagnosis. Three years later, I’ve accepted the diagnosis but I still have days where I can’t believe that this is the hand I’ve been dealt. For me, a lot of it is fear of an unknown future. I try to remember that the future is unknown if even you don’t have MS and this normally makes me feel a bit better. Plus actually living with MS for a while and being able to pretty much do everything I want to has made it a bit easier to accept. As I said though, I’m one of the lucky ones so far.

reddivine
3 years ago

One thing to consider and only you and your partner can answer this is:
what happens if you get worse?
if your partner has to become your carer AND struggle with 3 kids too?
could he cope? could you? kids are resilient and adapt, but who knows?

Its a one to discuss with all the young moms on here, I guess

gemma1988
3 years ago

Thanks for your comment reddivine, this is something that is stopping us from saying yes some days I think why let Ms rule my life with what I can and can’t do and other days I feel like that what if I get worse am unwell etc! I suppose we need to just way it all up :(( .. Xxx

mrsmissy
3 years ago

Hi there 🙂 I was diagnosed last year and am currently 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Currently on Copaxone still due to a relapse after the first trimester. MS will not stop me from being a mum, I have a very supportive husband and that helps :). As far as having your kids before you had MS my neurologist said to me that I probably had MS for 10 years before I was officially diagnosed. Looking back he was right. So I had no chance of having all my kids before my diagnosis lol (I was diagnosed at age 27). But I guess what I’m saying is have your third baby and regret nothing <3.

gemma1988
3 years ago

Hi MrsMissy this has really made me smile thank you, Not long left for you now 🙂 your defo right we’ve alway planned on being a family of 5 before i got this disease..my Ms nurse and neuro seem to think I should go for it too as they said don’t let the disease choose your way, you carry on as normal! It all just seems a bit scary since diagnosis, we’re going to leave it a little while as we get married in 2 weeks and want to move house too! But your post has really made me happy so thank you and good luck let us knew when you little 1 arrives 🙂 xxx

mrsmissy
3 years ago

Gemma1988, I can completely understand (as most MSers can) about the stress and anxiety when it comes to all the ‘what ifs’ Especially when it’s about caring for a new baby and living with such an unpredictable disease. I really like the way your neurologist and MS nurse think and are so positive. don’t let this define what you want out of life and never compromise your happiness 🙂
Best of luck with your wedding and I hope it’s everything you dreamed it would be 🙂 then get working on baby number 3!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.