Last reply 3 days ago
Pregabalin

Just wondered what anyone’s experience was of Pregabalin?

I have ms but am actually taking it for shingles pain. I’ve just had one tablet so far but am sooooo sleepy. Will it get better?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Egg xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 week ago

@eleanor , yes, this is an initial side-effect, so bear with it.

It should resolve within a week or so.

eleanor
1 week ago

@stumbler thank you so so much for replying so fast ☺️
It’s actually a lovely relaxing feeling but alas work will not be easy if I’m still this relaxed!!

That’s a huge relief it should only be a week.

Also, I’ve read MANY times online that you probably won’t see any improvement for days if not weeks. I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I genuinely think my pain has improved already and I’ve only had 1 tablet!!!! Is that even possible? (Or could it just be the paracetamol & ibuprofen are helping more than I thought?!)

Thank you again,

Egg xx

vivien
1 week ago

Hi @eleanor,

It depends on the dosage and how your body reacts to the pregabalin.

My dosage was tweaked frequently over a 2 month period until I got the balance between the pain relief and the drowsiness, but this was the first time I had experienced nerve pain, pre MS dxd. Turned out I had 2 brain lesions and a large one on my spinal cord at c2.

Drowsiness does get better, and I found taking the morning dose and going back to bed for an hour made all the difference to the rest of the day! It seemed to work better for me like that, until my body adjusted to it and then I suffered hardly any drowsiness at all. I was on it for 14 months and have now been off of it for 9 months.

Be aware of what you eat whilst you’re on it, as 1 side effect is weight gain, try to keep a healthy, balanced diet.

Chin up!

Vivien xxxx 🤗

I,am all new to this ms as I,’ve only been told I have primary progressive ms on the 27 February. But I,’ve but on pregabalin for about 2 months now 150mg morning and night.its ok when sitting down.but as soon as I start house work the pain kicks in and I need to sit down to let the pain and then start again not easy.but I hope thing get better for you.

eleanor
4 days ago

@vivien and @samantha_slocombe
Thank you both so very much for your replies. I’m only on 85mg twice a day, which I understand is a low dose. I spoke to my GP earlier as I feel drunk (woozy, dizzy & my head is spinning) after 8 days. She suggested trying either a different nerve painkiller (such as Amitriptyline) but the side effects are similar or to try Codeine first. I’ve decided to try that first, then if the pain gets too bad maybe Amitriptyline.

Right now it’s not too bad, maybe a 4/10 but my GOD MY SKIN feels like it’s crawling with ants & like my skin is sore & sunburnt so I can’t scratch it. I think this is part of the Postherpectic Neuralgia so suspect Codeine won’t help, but praying it does. I work full time so can’t go back to bed but have taken this week off while I sort out the painkillers.

Does anyone know if a rash is common with Pregabalin? In addition to the ants running around where my shingles are I now have rashes on both arms & am scratching the skin off in bits. One minor benefit is that it’s a distraction from the ants!

Samantha- thanks for the weight gain warning. I’d read about that in the leaflet with the drugs so will be careful . I eat healthily but I’m greedy even when not on Pregabalin so could definitely be in trouble there!!!! Eeeek!

Xx

eleanor
4 days ago

Also @samantha_slocombe, sorry to hear of your primary progressive diagnosis, that must be utterly devastating news. I’m so so sorry. Sending you a virtual hug, cup of tea & a big cake (told you I was greedy!!) xxx

vivien
4 days ago

@eleanor I hope you’re not still taking ibuprofen? It is to be avoided at all costs with shingles and chicken pox, as it makes it worse!

If it’s nerve pain and issues, codeine won’t touch it and may make you itchier!

Has your GP not suggested increasing the dose of pregabalin? I was on double at night, and half in the morning.

I had creepy crawlies too!

Chi up, hope you feel better soon,

Vivien xxxx 🤗

stumbler
4 days ago

@eleanor , it does take a couple of weeks for the body to get used to drugs like Pregabalin.

I’m on 225mg, twice a day……….

eleanor
3 days ago

@vivien I was slightly concerned about codeine not helping but thought it can’t harm things.
I stopped taking Ibuprofen as a pharmacist said I shouldn’t take it with Citalopram I’m on due to risk of bleeding. I don’t blame my GP but I have been taking it for years for arthritis pain in my feet & it was the first time I had ever heard that. So nope not anymore.

I am terrified about the thought of increasing the Pregabalin I’m itching myself crazy & my heads spinning as it is!!! But no, the GP probably thought it wasn’t an option as I’m trying to get back to work.

I honestly do not know what to do now!!

Are the creepy crawlies definitely the PHP & not Pregabalin?

Thank you both for replying

Xxx

mlgilber1
3 days ago

I would think the creepy crawlies are something other than the Pregabalin. I have them 24/7 on my scalp and face and scratch like crazy and the Pregabalin is the only thing that helps and also with the burning type feeling. I had shingles a few months ago. I was on gabapentin for over a year for nerve pain, but it never helped so was finally given the other, but my insurance will cover it one month and then deny it and it’s super expensive in the US. Right now I don’t have any because of insurance and it’s driving me nuts! I’m on oxycodone for pain and it actually did help with the shingles pain a bit so maybe the other will help you. When I had the shingles on my back it didn’t just give me nerve pain in the area. It also gave me a deep pain that was awful right in the spot where they were so my pain medication did help. I hope you feel better!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.