Last reply 1 year ago
Potty problems….

Does anyone suffer from Parastalsys (Sp?) My stomach has put me in hospital twice this week, TOTALLY HUMILIATING, and now after a healthy, small dinner, I’m in so much pain!

They’re talking about giving me a gastric stimulator. Kind of a pacemaker for the tummy. Be I don’t have enough scars and adhesions in my gut! (Lost 19″ of small intestine in 2004… malpractice.) No, I didn’t sue, btw. But now I’m facing this new thing and need to know if it’s always on, or if it’s signaled by the speed, or lack thereof of digestion. I eat vegetarian and very healthy, but I’ve gained nearly 15lbs (3/4 of a Stone) in two weeks? REALLY??? What on EARTH is going on?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@atlorrielife , I think the term you’re after is “Peristalsis”, which relates to the movement of food through your digestive system. There’s a description and helpful links here:-

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/anatomyvideos/000097.htm

There’s a condition called Gastroparesis, where the stomach can’t empty itself in the normal way. Food passes through the stomach more slowly than usual. This is caused by a neurological problem affecting the muscles. This can be treated with gastroelectrical stimulation, a form of TENS machine for your stomach.

There’s some details of Gastroparesis here :-

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gastroparesis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Hope this helps.

atlorrielife
1 year ago

Well, it’s been quite a week. Three trips to hospital, #3 kept. An apathetic/lazy nurse let me be MRI’d for nearly two hours…with a killer MIGRAINE! (I spilled military secrets!) It was horrible. The Gastro group, despite being across the street, and me being in the throes of major problems, decided to blow me off and treat as an outpatient! (More money in their office!) Should I find a different group? My trust is shaken and their arrogance is HUGE!

stumbler
1 year ago

@atlorrielife , if you’re not happy with the way that you are being treated as a patient, it is your prerogative to go elsewhere.

I’m just not sure how easy that will be in America. I’m in the UK.

atlorrielife
1 year ago

Hey Buddy,
Trust me, I’ve seen so many Neurologists it’s not funny. It’s actually easy here in the States. They ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST see those plaques and bands before they declare MS! Teri Garr took 26 years! Why can’t they just use the totality of the symptoms. I’m sick to death of being told “You don’t have MS, but we don’t know what you have… don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out!” Right now, my warm to the touch feet are frozen solid, I have gastroparesis (sp?), chroniic fatigigue and literally 12 other symptoms. And I’m so NOT a hypochondriac! Nor an alarmist. I’m just tired of being sick all the time when I was a mega-athlete even 10 years into the disease.
I’m 53, voing on 9 and am certainly not deft! I’m a zebra, but they dismiss me. I’m really frustrated!

stumbler
1 year ago

@atlorrielife , have you tried discussing your issues with the local chapter of the MS Society? They may have some suggestions for you.

atlorrielife
1 year ago

No, but that’s a BRILLIANT idea! TYVM my friend!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.