Last reply 3 months ago
Portable Air Conditioner Units

Last summer was horrendous for me and I cowered indoors for a large part of it.

Rather than moan the entire time, I want to buy a portable air-conditioner unit that I can take in the car, plug in and freeze myself, regardless of what is happening with the weather.

Does anyone here have any experience with smaller ‘personal’ air conditioning units?

I am after knowing prices, efficacy, portability, suppliers etc. Thank you.

Dominic

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@dominics , here’s a review of some from the Telegraph :-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/interiors/home/best-portable-air-conditioners/

But, you’ve probably seen this already and are after “word of mouth” recommendations….

dominics
3 months ago

@stumbler No (thank you) and yes.

.l
I try to avoid the Daily Mail and Torygraph where poss! Both have turned into very poor papers in last 20y.

Best,

Dom

cameron
3 months ago

The air conditioner I bought to cool my overheated bedroom was totally useless. It was the size of a small-ish fridge, had to be vented through a hole made in my outside wall, was very noisy and made no difference to the ambient temperature. I replaced it with a proper job – wall-mounted small unit, expensive but 100% efficient. It has to be serviced annually so the expense carries on……

dominics
3 months ago

@cameron – Can you share the brand names with me? How much is expensive?

Thanks

cameron
3 months ago

@dominics – I can’t remember the make of the first one, but it was from B and Q and cost around £80 – but that was years ago. The one I have now is a Daikin, about 2ft long, Ift high and around 10” deep. It’s wall-mounted with a remote control. Cost including installation was £1051 – that was about 2 years ago. It makes very little noise and I can sleep through it- the first one sounded like a steam engine. I have it on all night most nights on low and it hasn’t increased my electric bill noticeably. My aircon in the car is good, too. Do you have that? It’s maybe a better option than trying for something you lug around. x

dominics
3 months ago

@cameron That is brilliant. Thank you. We now have a car with dual-zone climate control and the bickering over the temperature (my wife is always cold and I am always too hot) is gone. Typically I run it at 18-19 and she is at 24!

I sold my nice cars before going to university (last 5y) and we have been running on a poverty spec Polo until now. The rear windows have winders on. A real novelty for kids and a chance to make them roll their eyes with the. ‘When I was young…’ stories.

Thanks again.

Best,

Dominic

cameron
3 months ago

I’ve had a quick look at the Daikin website and found the one I think I have – Comfora FTXP-M. When you switch it on, the panel/slot you see on the lower part of the unit tilts and opens and that’s where the air flow is. The pictures also reminded me that the motor fan is a separate unit which goes on your outside wall. It’s a large box-shaped unit (roughly 3ft square) – mine sits on a concrete slab on my flat roof but it can equally be positioned on the wall itself. You can understand why installation bumps up the cost. Good luck!x

tammi_roberts
3 months ago

I have a cooling vest that i use i got it off of amazon its heaven sent i have active teens that are in sports ect. I would be able to go to a lot of there outdoor stuff with out it. They are a bit costly but worth every penny

dominics
3 months ago

@tammi-roberts Thank you. These interest me too. Do mind sharing the name, cost and where you sourced it?

There seems to be a wide range: from powered ones that last as long as the battery but quite expensive to those that rely on the frozen gel packs.

Thank you,

Dominic

dominics
3 months ago

PS: my daughter sails so once out of the harbour there is no meaningful spectating unless I go out on a RiB!

dominics
3 months ago

PPS: see you got it on Amazon!

arbee
3 months ago

In my experience it’s only the proper wall mounted, permanently installed ones that are any good, I bought a portable one a few years ago for around 250 quid and it was the worst purchase I’ve ever made! I made a proper window bracket for the vent which made it better but it was still very noisy and not overly effective.

Dyson do a cool tower now which is meant to be quite good at keeping you cool but it’s not air conditioning, I might give one a try this summer but in my experience (and that of several others I know) portable AC is rubbish and you need to have it properly installed to be effective.

dominics
3 months ago

@arbee – thanks for that. I appreciate the effort.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.