Last reply 1 week ago
Planning Christmas dinner

Apologies to those amongst you that prefer to only acknowledge the arrival of Christmas on Christmas Eve 😊

Ok so not strictly an ms subject but it is related…

As some of you may remember since the major relapse that brought about my diagnosis I have struggled with my hands. They are quite frustratingly the most significant hangover from that relapse.

Not just because of this but also for a variety other reasons we have eaten Christmas dinner at various relatives homes for the past several years. Now at first this was great, all the fun of the big day without all the stress of feeding everyone, but frankly this year I’d really just like to be able to spend the day at home, relaxed & to my own time table πŸ˜‰ (possibly in pyjamas, it’s too soon to say for sure)

There has been some improvement in my hand control over the last couple of years & I do have a trusty volunteer to help. So basically I’d love to hear everyone’s suggestions or ideas, big or small, that make any part of cooking a large dinner easier! I think my role will still have to be mainly supervisory πŸ€” πŸ˜‰

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

mamawals
1 week ago

I’m American and we are admittedly a lazy people. For big holiday meals I use a cookbook by Diana Phillips (β€œthe make-ahead diva”) that’s all about making big dinners ahead of time and just warming them up on the big day. You can make one dish a week, freeze it, and heat them all up at once.

edmontonalberta
1 week ago

@lilbird

You want to spend the day at home in your PJ’s – sounds good to me. Why are you then considering cooking a large dinner?

grandma
1 week ago

Christmas Dinner is a tradition, but the menu doesn’t have to be traditional. Eat whatever YOU like best, so if you want a lobster, have one! Actually joking apart they are much easier to cook, short while in a pan of boiling water. But if you want fillet steak if that’s a treat for you, go for it. The days of mum spending hours roasting a Turkey or a Goose are past really so have what you want and enjoy it. (By the way the PJ’sare a great idea)πŸ˜‹πŸ‘πŸ₯‚

chezy17
1 week ago

No not the Christmas word, I don’t think about Christmas until I’ve celebrated my bday, that comes first lol!

If you want to still have Christmas dinner than why not just get everything pre-prepared? They do everything like that now, it will save all the mashing and chopping and stuff 😊.

lilbird
1 week ago

Hi @mamawals that’s great thanks for that I’ll investigate 😊 I’ve long been a fan of Jamie Oliver’s get ahead gravy so anything else in the same vein is worth a look. Are you cooking this Christmas?

lilbird
1 week ago

@edmontonalberta I suppose because I like a big dinner a Christmas & I like things done my way πŸ˜‰ I know what you mean though. O you do anything special for Christmas?

mamawals
1 week ago

No, this year we are going to visit my husband’s family for Christmas. Usually I order a honey baked ham and do mashed potatoes and corn, which is pretty simple. Maybe some cranberry sauce. Thanksgiving is a much bigger thing for us and I have hosted 30 person Thanksgivings in the past (this year my sister wants to do the honors since she just bought a house). I’ve mostly used the Diana Phillips recipes for Thanksgiving.

lilbird
1 week ago

That’s a very good point @grandma I’d not really thought about it like that. My big down fall here is how much I enjoy a roast turkey dinner 😍 but you’re right I should definitely consider my options. Hmmmm…. think I might be set on the pjs though πŸ˜„

dominics
1 week ago

It is Christmas, if that isn’t a reason to treat yourself I don’t know what is.

All the main supermarkets do a range of pretty decent pre-cooked food. Heat and go. All you’ll need to supervise is the oven temperature, timings and plating up.

I further suggest that all of that can be done from a seated position, whilst drinking Black Velvet though a straw, and damn the hands πŸ™‚

Joyeaux Noel.

lilbird
1 week ago

Haha sorry @ chezy17 are a November or December baby? Couple of my family are early December so that’s always been the same, Christmas decorations only went up after birthdays. Yeah I’m considering the pre prepared route as a possible option. I’ll have to do some homework & figure what i can get & where from, any suggestions welcome 😊

lilbird
1 week ago

Whoops @chezy17 😊

lilbird
1 week ago

Ok @mamawals I’ll be Googling Diana Phillips for inspiration later 😊 I don’t think I’ve cooked for anywhere close to 30 people sounds exhausting! Sounds like you’ll have a nice relaxing time while everyone else does the cooking this year πŸ˜‰

lilbird
1 week ago

@dominics you really make a compelling case, it sounds so wonderful 😊 I could picture it as I read it. I have to confess I did have to Google black velvet, that’s a new one on me.
Sounds like I’ll have to figure out what’s available to buy pre prepared & what I can pre prepare myself & fingers crossed, fabulous Christmas dinner πŸ˜‰ Does anyone have any experience with pre cooked supermarket offerings? Curious if anything particularly easy or tasty or any that are not so good & worth avoiding I suppose. I’m feeling quite festive πŸŽ„

dominics
1 week ago

@lilbird – you are in Canada, is that correct? Have you thought of writing to a few supermarkets explaining the difficulties and asking them what they suggest?

They will often fall over themselves to be seen to be helping.

You can always drink heavily laced eggnog if BV isn’t your thing!

potter
1 week ago

Have you thought about having dinner on Christmas eve? Our son and his wife just got back from being overseas for three years so we haven’t had much of a Christmas for a while. We found that dining out on Christmas eve was quite enjoyable. Lots of families in the restaurant everyone was laughing and talking and in a good mood. It was like being a a large family dinner. Going out Christmas day was quite the opposite, very depressing.

mamawals
1 week ago

Well Turkey is simple! We use Alton Brown’s recipe. Brine the turkey in a stand up cooler or a large pot for 24 hrs then cover with oil, stuff with some aromatics, and cook on very high. It’s done in just a few hours. Have someone else do all the heavy lifting and carving πŸ˜€. Then eat leftovers for days – turkey sandwiches, casseroles, etc.

bernadette
1 week ago

stay at hone in your PJs if thats what you want. enjoy!

grandma
1 week ago

A couple of years ago the other half was having to look after me big time so we bought 2 Marks &Spencers Christmas Dinners. More than acceptable for the price. Use whatever the equivalent retailer has in your country😍

lilbird
1 week ago

Hi @dominics I think I’ll do some local research on what’s available at supermarkets & use that as a starting point. Now you do raise an interesting point when you ask if I’m in Canada… because, well I’m not! @stumbler any idea how I’ve suddenly moved to another continent without realising? I’m in the UK by the way. Can’t remember the last time I looked at my own details so no idea how long it’s said that either πŸ€”

lilbird
1 week ago

Dinner out on Christmas eve does sound like a lovely idea, we have in the past tended to eat take away on Christmas eve as it leaves no washing up & frees up time for delivering presents, preparing veg, phone calls & people dropping by. Christmas eve here is pretty manic 😊
@mamawals can’t say I’ve ever brined a turkey. They are pretty simple to cook as long as i have my minions do the lifting & you’re right the leftovers are great too. I think that’s why it’s such a favourite 😁
@bernadette I think I will πŸ˜‰

lilbird
1 week ago

Good idea @grandma I’ll have a look what m&s have. Long way from home to nearest one but they deliver most stuff as far as I’m aware. Think I’ll be researching all the supermarket offerings to what available 😊 Will you be having lobster this year?

stumbler
1 week ago

@lilbird , I have no idea how you managed to emigrate across the pond. Country (of residence) does have a “dropdown” box of options, of which Canada is the first option……
Β 
Anyway, I’v repatriated you back to the country that we loosely call the United Kingdom.
Β 
You might want to check your profile to see whether the other information is correct and complete. Just click the little person (top right) and select “profile”. If changes are needed, then select the “Edit” option. πŸ˜‰

chezy17
1 week ago

@ lilbird I’m a early December baby, good ole Sagitarius πŸ’ͺ! It’s a toss up to whether I go drinking in the cold or the snow, one year we all went out dancing in wellies, walked home and fell on our butts! Me and my friend just lay in the snow laughing our heads off cos we couldn’t stand up πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

Anyways, back to crimbo dinner…Asda, Tesco or even Aldi do everything pre-prepared so you just have to put in the oven or even mircowave it.

Do whats easier for you, I’m fine with cooking but even I will go for the easier life when cooking xmas dinner 😊. X

lilbird
1 week ago

Thanks @stumbler it’s good to be back & thanks for your assistance with moving πŸ˜‰ everything else seems fine. No idea what happened there, I suppose it’s possible that I’ve accidentally changed it at some point while scrolling but I don’t remember using that page & surely I’d have had to have saved changes? Strange….maybe I’ve been sleep editing πŸ˜‚

mhworden
1 week ago

Potluck! Host makes the main dish, guests each bring a side dish, appetizer or dessert. No reason why attire couldn’t be PJs all around.πŸ˜‰

dominics
1 week ago

It said/says Canada! Waitrose/M+S then if in the UK!

lilbird
1 week ago

Hi @chezy17 dancing in wellies sounds pretty good actually much easier than in heels πŸ˜‰ Are you planning a repeat performance this year? Yep I’ve been all over the internet today & I have tabs open for all kinds of festive food from all kinds of supermarkets! Good thing there’s still a few weeks until Christmas it’s going to take me a while to whittle it down 😊

I’m hoping to be able to keep it small & simple this year @mhworden but if we do end up with guests that is definitely the perfect solution & I’ll leave them to decide pjs or no 😜

You’re right @dominics it did say Canada, I checked after you asked because I wondered why you had thought that. No idea how or why it said Canada but it’s fixed now. Confusion over 😊 I shall be carefully scoping out M&S, no idea how far nearest Waitrose is though πŸ€”

Anyone else doing anything fancy/interesting this Christmas?

chezy17
1 week ago

@ lilbird It was probably the most comfortable bar going out in pumps that I’ve been πŸ˜‚! Going out dancing, most definately but in wellies, only if there’s snow😜! Haha I think I’ll only stretch as far as Tesco finest, I couldn’t do m&s 🀣🀣…I don’t do my food shoping till the day before Xmas eve, I’m not that organised, I forget what I’m doing tomorrow let alone next month 🀣🀣!

lilbird
1 week ago

Haha @chezy17 if there was ever a good reason to hope for snow, welly dancing has gotta be right up there πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Tesco finest is good stuff, can’t say I ever really shop in m&s but they’re bound have fancy festive food that’s worth a look πŸ˜‰ I’ll let you know if I find anything good 😁 I like to have as much of my shopping finished by the week before Christmas as possible, mainly because I don’t have the energy or the patience to try & shop when it’s that crazy busy! There are always last minute things you need though doesn’t seem to matter how much you try to be organised. I usually delegate the last minute shop to someone else. It’s always an amusingly odd but shopping list though πŸ˜‚

chezy17
1 week ago

@ lilbird When you realise you’ve spelt shopping with one p πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ!
Haha…I’ll set a new trend up, think there could be a market for sparkly dancing wellies πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚!
I can be that organised that I’ll hide the presents I bought earlier in the year and not find them till the next year 🀣🀣🀣…haha I have no-one to delegate too but it makes for good entertainment when I’m racking my brain and running around to the shopping 🀣🀣

dominics
1 week ago

We’re off to Norway for Christmas/Honeymoon/Aurora Borealis. Looking forward to the cool air and someone else doing all the work.

chezy17
1 week ago

Awww how lovely, have a fantastic honeymoon and Christmas 😊.

buitenmus
1 week ago

Maybe you can invite everyone to your clean cosy house and ask your guests to provide the food? We used to do that at my grandma’s place. Or at my mum’s house we do a christmas brunch, not to fancy, ’cause both my mum and sister in law are ill too (temporary, luckily) so no one has the energy to cook large diners.

jade770
1 week ago

A slow cooker is definitely one of my favourite things in the kitchen. , I can make what I want when I have the energy to and just let it cook all day , or let it cook overnight if it’s safe to. There’s some really good recipes on Pinterest too. Also pre prepared veg is always a good shout especially for big cooking . After my last relapse I’m not so good with knives anymore so I know your pain xx

vivien
1 week ago

@lilbird have you considered the Lidl deluxe range? Goose fat roasters, parsnips, sprouts, turkey crown, 3 bird roasts, 2 game roasts, whole lobsters, the list goes on and it’s all in the freezers already, meats are in foil roasting packs so no washing up!

My mum now swears by Lidl frozen turkey as she thinks they’re the best as she’s not had a dry one after cooking it too long yet! πŸ˜‚

That way, you can clean out your freezer and get organised for Xmas Dinner this month before the rush starts and just sit back and enjoy the festivities? Only fresh spuds and sprouts needed Xmas week. You could prepare and freeze your soup veg in advance too, so that you only have to chuck it into the pot with some stock and cook it. There are lots of fancy puds available too which you literally defrost and serve.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.