Last reply 2 weeks ago
PIP Assessment Appeals/Difficulties

I don’t yet need PIP, but in researching the Bus Pass concession and Blue Badge entitlement criteria I came across a very negative (good for an appeal) remark in government documents about the ability of PIP assessors.

From the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee of Aug 2018 ( https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dptac-position-on-extending-the-blue-badge-eligibility/dptac-position-on-extending-the-blue-badge-eligibility )

Paragraph 7 says the following!

>>
There is a perception that PIP assessors generally understand physical health conditions much better than non-physical conditions such as mental health, autism, dementia or cognitive difficulties. We don’t think either type of condition is necessarily more difficult than the other to assess. However, many health care professionals lack the necessary understanding of mental health conditions, autism, dementia and cognitive difficulties.
<<

The whole piece is worth a read if you are up to it. It doesn’t carry the weight of a legal opinion but it does undermine the general ability of PIP assessors to remark on hidden issues.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

PIP Assessors not up to the job, there’s a thing! Or is it a case of their motivations send them in a specific direction…….

dominics
2 weeks ago

@stumbler – oh you cynic 😉

highlander
2 weeks ago

@dominics
Don’t get done get Dom! …rather catchy😃
If you manage any headway with that lot, you will be immortalised!
All hail Dom!

dominics
2 weeks ago

@highlander – I am not fighting that battle, I just came across the remark and thought it is grist to the mill for those of you battling the PIP system.

Presently it is about bus passes. I have just told the person at the council that I am being made to feel like I am personally defrauding her. MP and local councillor now involved.

My argument is simple. The word Disabled is a defined term for MS under the equality act and therefore, offering something to disabled people means offering it to pwMS, regardless of the apparent level of suffering/disablement.

nobodyin
2 weeks ago

I had a PIPs assessment last summer, before my diagnosis of PPMS which was obviously the cause of my problems, was refused anything. Now (at Xmas, 1.5 years later) have to appeal the decision they made then but, I have a progressive condition!?!? Finding it all rather depressing

dominics
2 weeks ago

@nobodyin – don’t let the bastards grind you down. They get away with crap behaviour because people don’t make enough of a fuss.

Most MPs are so fed up with Brexit they are so keen to get stuck in to something else.

Make noise, hold their feet to the fire, don’t take no for an answer.

Am feeling progressively pissed off with the crapness of ‘the system’.

nobodyin
2 weeks ago

Actually having joined the Labour Party when this awful affliction brought me back up north I will contact Alex Sobel my local MP, Labour to give me some help, Leeds City Council welfare benefits are helping to draft my appeal. If I am awarded PIPs based on my difficulties then what do I do about them now?
I did as Alastiar Campbell in the Euro elections, if the help for disabled folk is this bad now, heaven help us under an unfettered right wing government, which may soon arrive.

dominics
2 weeks ago

I agree on your political remarks. I am a right wing Liberal or a left-wing tory but there is no way I’d support this insulting shambles of a goverent or that muppet BoJo. I voted Green at the Euro elections to put the boot in as hard as poss. The current Labour Party is just as bad. If Jo Swindon wins the LD leadership as she is likely to then they stand a really good chance for once.

In the meantime, I wish you all the best with the local elected officials.

nobodyin
2 weeks ago

The USA had tricky dicky back when, Juxtaposing Jezza & the Maybot for us now.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.