blankreg 15/02/15
Last reply 3 years ago
PIP Assessment Advice

I’ve got my PIP assessment in a weeks time and I’m not really sure what to expect. Is it just a load of questions or is there some kind of medical exam involved? What sort of stuff should I take along? I would grateful for any advice you could share.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 years ago

@blankreg , this has been a regular discussion on this forum.

I used the forum search function (magnifying glass, top left) to search for “PIP Assessment”. The results of this search are here :-
https://shift.ms/?s=pip+assessment 😉

blankreg
3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler I knew it must must be here somewhere but missed the search icon somehow. Think I was expecting a menu item or it to been in the top right corner.

stumbler
3 years ago

No problem, @blankreg . You haven’t given yourself much time to prepare, but a general “rule-of-thumb” is to answer all of the questions as if you’re having a real bad MS day. So, always look worst case scenario! 😉

northernlass
3 years ago

Hi @blankreg my advise that I was given was to let the assessors know if you need to use any aids for any task ie: a walking stick or grab rail in the bathroom and to inform them if you feel you are unable to do a task SAFETLY and within a normal TIME or does it take you longer than an average person ie: climbing stairs. Do you need ASSISTANCE to do a task. And more importantly do you experience PAIN while doing a task.?. The main categories are for MOBILITY, PREPARING FOOD, WASHING, DRESSING and COGNATIVE. I also had EVERY piece of paper relating to my MS and had made many notes relating to the problems that I have due to my MS. If you are unsure I suggest you phone and speak to someone at MS UK or the MS Society and get some advise as to how to word some of the problems that you face and what to tell the assessor when you have your meeting. I wasn’t physically examined but the assessor is noting down what problems that he/she can see during your interview. I hope that is of help to you and you are successful. Best wishes 😀

blankreg
3 years ago

Thanks @northernlass I’ve looked at as much stuff as I can and I’m not holding out much hope, my main problems are with walking because of the drop foot and a lack of feeling in my hands and of course the fatigue. But I’m still working, thanks to a short drive in and a understanding boss. So I think I’m going to struggle to get enough points.

sunnydaylover
3 years ago

i had mine about 6 weeks ago, and most definetly as northernlass says, answer every question as it its a really bad day. I wasn’t awarded enough points, but have asked to be reconsidered after an awful day last week, and so today I am writing down everything to send back to them. Fingers crossed!

blankreg
3 years ago

Many thanks for all the advice.
Good luck @sunnydaylover with your appeal.

tracyd
3 years ago

@blankreg as the others have said, write everything down and take it with you and cross things off as you work your way through your list. It’s going to be like that bit at the end of a job interview where they ask ‘do you have any questions’ and your brain miraculously empties. Always use a worst day answer for a question.

Yes you’re working, make sure that you make a very big thing about how amazing your boss is being to accommodate all the worst day scenario’s and that you need their help to ensure you can maintain that status quo as long as possible !!!

Good luck xx

blankreg
3 years ago

Thanks @tracyd I’ll sit down with my wife tonight and make a list, she’s much better at remembering the worst days than me. I’m PPMS so my symptoms are reasonably constant with only a little variation.

northernlass
3 years ago

Just a thought then @blankreg if you have PPMS it may help you to make a note of what it means to have PPMS and what the prognosis is of that particular aspect of MS is, and also the fact that there is no cure..! because although you may well be assessed by a Health professional it is not assured that they will know anything about MS. I was lucky as my assessor didn’t know much about MS but she researched it before she came to asses me and so was much more informed but it’s not guaranteed that they know anything about MS they will just want to see how you fit into the criteria for PIP. But don’t forget to mention PAIN, TIME, ASSISTANCE, and SAFETY.. Let us know how you get on 🙂

blankreg
3 years ago

@northernlass thanks for that, I’ll start making notes tonight. Also thanks to everyone that took the time to answer. 🙂

blankreg
3 years ago

I just wanted to thank everyone that commented on this and to give you all an update. I had my assessment about 10 days ago and it seemed to go well. The women doing the assessment seemed to go out of her way to get information from me and my wife. At one point she even said that she knows what they want to hear and came very close to coaching us as to what we should be saying!

I got home to tonight to find I’ve been awarded the standard rate and I’m very grateful to everyone that helped me and thankful I had such a understanding and wonderful assessor!

northernlass
3 years ago

That is brilliant news @blankreg Well chuffed for you .. and the back payment is a nice little chunk of money too I hope.. 🙂 Smiles all around and good luck with the other things you may also be eligible for now.. Blue badge..? Car tax reduction..? worth a look. Best wishes

blankreg
3 years ago

@northernlass I got the letter saying I’d been awarded PIP yesterday and the backdated payment arrived in my account this morning! So they can be quick when they want to be 😉

I’m currently chasing up my Blue Badge application so hopefully there should be some good news there as well.

Many thanks again for everyones helpful comments.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.