Last reply 1 year ago
pip assessment

Hi There

well my wife has been given a date for her assessment and in scunthorpe (anybody been here tips please)
we live in worksop so its 40 miles away Joke.
Just after some tips what to expect for her, she is stressing, i be going with her can i sit in and talk in the assessment??
she only has a mild form of ms but does struggle with things.

any advice is most welcome

thanks

Pete

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

hank
1 year ago

hi pete, i have my assesment on 5th jan and like your wife am apprehensive,and my wife is not sleeping worrying about it. From what i have found it appears they will be nice and friendly at interview but can write quite a different report , as far as i am aware a carer can go in with them and also speak on their behalf as well. When you tell them about your day tell them your worst day as they will write about your best. I have had P.P.M.S. for 6 years and cannot use my left leg or arm , walk with a walker and have balance issues and if i fall down cannot get up without help , but i am fully expecting to have to go to appeal, perhaps we should compare notes afterwards

petejknotts
1 year ago

Hi there

well it be going in with her, Her MS nurse has already done a report.
I hope you get what you want from them, targeting the wrong people comes to mind.

good luck and keep in touch

Pete

kevanf
1 year ago

Hi
I had my pip assessment back in October. 3 weeks later I had the result of granted living allowance not mobility allowance. (sorry if I have the names wrong). I feel I should have stressed my mobility problems more.
Being granted pip came with the added extra of realising I am actually ill, must have been ducking the point subconsciously, was hard to accept.
Try not to get stressed over the assessment but do remember to tell them of what you are having problems with. Its not a con job to say what way you are ill.
Kev

petejknotts
1 year ago

Hi Kev

thanks for the information, we will make sure we tell everything.
just after as many tips as possible. we are not trying to con anybody but we want what she is entitled to as its a condition that will only get worse not better.

cheers

Pete

ahelps
1 year ago

@petejknotts, I had my assessment in October.

For me they literally went through every question on the form in great detail, it was actually good because I was able to go into much greater detail for both care and mobility needs. Towards the end she did a little assessment because I said I had weak left leg so she wanted to check that.

Also, be really detailed and worst day! – it’s the little things you do that you don’t realise are part of needing help, like I have a shower in a bath and have to hold onto sink to keep balance to lift leg to be able to get in. Then I have to rest because of fatigue. I didn’t really think about these things till I did the diary. I used stick but need a chair if going to be walking for more then 20mins.

It took about 8 weeks to hear back I got low mobility and med care, they back dated it from first application so was a lovely cheque to receive. I also got a Christmas bonus of £10 ?

petejknotts
1 year ago

well tats it done. been with my wife for the F2F.
i am shocked as she never put much down. which thinking about it coming away could go against my wife.
the assessor didnt seem bothered, never actually asked many questions.
then at the end a test, count from 100 backwards in 7’s and if i gave you a £1 and spent 30p how much would you have left.
whats that all about??

well we both have said she isnt going to get anything from that report so i think an Appeal will be happening very soon.

cheers

Pete

petejknotts
1 year ago

well thats it done. been with my wife for the F2F.
i am shocked as she never put much down. which thinking about it coming away could go against my wife.
the assessor didnt seem bothered, never actually asked many questions.
then at the end a test, count from 100 backwards in 7’s and if i gave you a £1 and spent 30p how much would you have left.
whats that all about??

well we both have said she isnt going to get anything from that report so i think an Appeal will be happening very soon.

cheers

Pete

ahelps
1 year ago

That’s ridiculous! In what world do those questions have anything to do with care or mobility?

petejknotts
1 year ago

exactly.
how about this one too, she said dog, cat, brush, remember these, then she said, spell WORLD backwards and the best was now what was the three words i told you remember.
absolutely ridiculous.
we kept saying on our bad day, she kept saying no not your bad your normal day.
as i say i dont think my wife has a hope in hell of getting after that.

ahelps
1 year ago

I’ve heard them do those tests for dementia patients or older people to check for memory loss.

The guy sounds like an idiot. I wonder if there’s somewhere you can go to make a complaint. I remember as ms life last year they had pip experts in so maybe ms society could help.

You can go through reassessment process when you hear back and get them to look at your case again. If my memory serves me they said reassessment is first step then if that fails you can go through the appeals process but that is a little longer and more involved. If you go straight to appeals it’s actually worse and more drawn out.

petejknotts
1 year ago

Hi

Yeah i have been reading up about the appeal process.

thanks for you input i will keep you updated.
if for anything to help others when and if they have to go through this.

thanks

Pete

ahelps
1 year ago

The very fact the assessments aren’t standard in each centre proves what a total farce the whole thing is.

I really hope it works out for you.

Amy

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.