Last reply 2 weeks ago
PIP application…

Hello, hope youre all as well as can be.
I recently posted about DMTs and PIP but want this new post to just be regarding PIP as my DMT dilemma is over, for the time being!

So…I received the dreaded brown envelope stating my DLA lifetime award is due to end, and inviting me to apply for PIP.

I work on part time, am self employed and claim working tax credits, with disability element, so work 16hrs a week, term time only. Most of work is done from home and I couldn’t physically manage any more. It took me around 6 years to get into a position I feel I can manage alongside my health issues. The combination of DLA, WTC and a low income enable me to carry on as I am. If I lose DLA (fail to get awarded PIP) I simply wont be able to continue as I am, which is a huge worry. I spoke with my MS nurse yesterday, who advised I make the application, and if I am asked to attend a face to face assessment, that I ask for a home visit.

I guess I am asking those of you who have been through the process, for any helpful advice? So if you feel able to share any pearls of wisdom….hit me with them!

Many thanks in advance

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

@jules71 , refer to the Benefits & Work website (https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/) for in-depth details of the process.

Also, enlist some “objective” help to complete the application form, e.g. Citizens Advice (CAB).

It’s better to put in the effort with the application, rather than putting the effort into an appeal.

wrinkly
1 month ago

I was very apprehensive about making an application but in the end found the whole process very straightforward
I think it helps to just keep to the facts of your condition and say how it affects your day to day life.
And the face to face interview was, if not pleasant, not as bad as I was expecting.
So don’t worry.

wendyhills
1 month ago

Always reference when your at your worst concentrate mainly on what you can’t do not what you can. Try and add as much evidence as you can without delaying your application they won’t speak to your healthcare professionals afterit may be the only chance for you to get their point across. Try not to stress about it so may people have to appeal and go to tribunal just stick with it to the end so you get what your entitled too. Good luck

jules71
2 weeks ago

Thank you for your replies stumbler, wrinkly & wendyhills! I’ve mostly filled in my form, in pencil! So I can read through and alter if need be. What kind of evidence is best to send….I’m thinking copies of hospital clinic letters, MS nurse annual reviews, prescriptions etc BUT due to these being quite factual, not explaining how I am affected daily as such…..I will also send a covering letter that explains in further detail, my daily life and health struggles/restrictions. I have several other health conditions as well as MS and have tried to include all on the form. I just want it done and posted now! I just want to get the point across that while I work, I do so under constant stress and its a daily struggle to manage that around my health restrictions, I simply do the best that I can under difficult circumstances and couldn’t continue if I lose this bit of money? 🙁

grandma
2 weeks ago

Hi @julrs71 Be very careful of the home visit. You are more relaxed, you know where everything is I.e. the loo, the kettle, you are used to getting around it be it wall walking, stick, furniture leaning. If you do it without thinking about it they will read it as able to get around without help, so they drop you level of DLA/PIP. You have to remember, they might be visiting in a good day, but you have to remember the bad days and go by them. If you have a mobility car, make out you cannot plan a journey, can’t use the sat nav, can’t map read etc., I have learnt that they will do anything to catch you out, play them at their own game. The only question they ask if you have a car is ‘can you plan a journey’ say you can’t, they are only interested in mental ability as far as the mobility car is concerned. They do not count any physical disability when scoring you for mobility, crazy isn’t it. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck😍

bullman
2 weeks ago

Hi @jules71

If you drive then you are likely to be able to plan & follow the route (activity 11).
If not, how could you drive ? Sorry @grandma. Activity 12 looks at moving around and will count towards a motability car. I would say to look at a typical day. They do.

jules71
2 weeks ago

Hi @bullman @grandma
I have been transparent and honest on my form and I agree that if you drive you surely can plan a journey and follow it through?!! Else why would you be driving in the first place? I do not have a motability car and have a lifetime award of DLA at middle and lower rate. I work, albeit for approx. 6 hours outside of home, spread over the week. I will not pretend or lie. If they fail me, I will of course appeal…..worst case scenario is if I don’t get PIP I may be forced to give up the little work that I do as I couldn’t survive without that help. So it would be backwards as I would be in a position where I would then solely rely on benefits…..which I have put off, to maintain a small level of independence, for as long as it possible, even though every day is a struggle. Its just so disheartening that having been given a life time award for having a lifelong degenerative illness, the goalposts have been moved 🙁

yvonnemair
2 weeks ago

Hi @jules17
I’ve had a home visit for my application and also, like wrinkly, found it strightforward. I was advised to tape the visit which I did. You had to inform them that you were taping them though and take two copies, you gave them one copy and you kept the other.

jules71
2 weeks ago

@yvonnemair I considered that BUT what did you use to record it on?!!!

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@jules71 , at a parliamentary committee meeting at the start of the year, ATOS provided the present regime, which includes :-

– Giving three working days’ notice that you intend to record the assessment;
– Signing a ‘recording agreement’ which seeks to limit how you can use the recording;
– Providing your own simultaneous recording equipment which can produce two copies and which must not include laptops, tablets, smartphones or MP3 players.

What is clear, is that the method of recording has to be agreed several days before the assessment.

I have seen a variety of dated cassette technologies being used, but their availability is becoming less and less. 😕

yvonnemair
2 weeks ago

Hi @jules71
I used an old dictaphone I already had, for myself and I bought the other one, just a cassette recorder, at Argos, it had to be able to record for an hour.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.