jonnydrama 07/01/13
Last reply 5 years ago
Pension

So…whats the deal with pensions for ms sufferers? I want to sort one out, I’m 27 and want to start now in case I have to retire early!

Is it going to make a huge difference? Is there somewhere that specializes in pensions for us?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
5 years ago

Paying into a pension gives you two benefits :-
1. A nestegg when you retire, which can then provide income; and
2. Life insurance, in case you don’t make it to retirement.
I should imagine that a Pension Company would want to “hedge their bets” on the actual life insurance cover.
Yes, it’s a worthwhile investment as it comes from your pre-taxed income.
Do you not work for a company that offers a scheme? Although, I believe that all companies now have to offer a pension scheme.
A union may be able to give you some advice, if you are a member.
Or pose the question to The MS Trust (0800 032 38 39) or MS Society (0808 800 8000) helplines.
Hope this helps.

jonnydrama
5 years ago

My company doesn’t have to implement until 2015 (the rollout is based on company size, small/medium business). Spoken to the FD (my aunt) and I can start a pension until then and transfer over to the new work scheme when launched if I want.

So in the meantime I want to sort one out.

stumbler
5 years ago

It would be wise to consider using the same Pension Company as the one intended by your Employers. That’ll help switch it over in 2015.
Once you get a quote, with the proposed benefits, then get quotes from an Independent Financial Adviser to compare. Bear in mind that there may be a financial hit when you switch the plan to your employers.
P.S. these are just my thoughts, I’m nothing to do with the pension or Finance industry.

jonnydrama
5 years ago

Your advice is much appreciated – and don’t worry you sound impartial!

stumbler
5 years ago

@jonnydrama, I did use to work for Lloyds Bank, when they were a Bank, but on the IT side! 😆

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.