Last reply 7 months ago
Pain Management

I agree not a very joyful subject but nevertheless I need to this in place. I am in sheer agony unless I am drunk, any advice on meds for my condition would be so welcome. It makes me feels so sad when I see the beautiful faces of the young. So sad.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

merfield
1 year ago

Hi @tessb…..I’m really sorry to read your post. I see on shiftms that MSers mention canabis oil. Is that something you’d try?? If I was in pain – I certainly would. As to being so sad, looking at the faces of the young – don’t dwell on it; they have their lives (futures unknown ) – we have ours ( futures unknown ) live in the moment, enjoy what you HAVE got ( don’t waste effort on what you haven’t got ), and try to lay of the drink – it can be a depressive!
It’s tough!!! Xx

stumbler
1 year ago

@tessb , in this day and age, no-one should be in pain.

Contact your MS Nurse and discuss pain management with them.

simone2
1 year ago

I take cannabis at night for pain it works within seconds.

sarah_irwin
1 year ago

Hi @tessb,
I have bad pain too and for me its been one of my worse symptoms. At one point i would have gladly had my legs removed. I also have pain in my arms.
I take gabapentin for the pain and baclofen for my leg spasms. Ive had to adjust my dose over the past few months as it was making me really sleepy. I still have some pain but its not as bad.
I agree with the others…contact your local MS nurse for support.
Take care x

tessb
1 year ago

Hi, the emails and support on here are really comforting, haven’t been diagnosed just yet, seeing my neurologist this Wednesday. My mother had MS and never once cried out in pain. My pain is so severe that I wish I could die sometimes. My medication is confusing and I am confused, I have to fight for absolutely everything which is draining and making want to sleep all day and all night. This is a living hell.

tessb
1 year ago

I want to add something else please if I may, why is it I have to fight every medical professional for help, as I very sick person why should I have to be verbally abused by a member of a pharmacy team. I really think that the World has lost touch with compassion and humanity. We need gentle care, loving care and help.

I live by myself and have to fight for anything, I am not allowed to drive at all really and forget where I am going yet I am expected to remember everything, chase, re-chase and sometimes it is all too much.

Society needs to be made aware of our suffering and the hurdles we are expected to “jump” over everyday of our lives, I am sick of it. There is no help for a person of my age and this simply is not good enough. I asked to go in to residential care and I am too young, so where are the facilities for us?

stumbler
1 year ago

@tessb , nobody should be suffering pain in this day and age.

Hopefully, your Neuro will be able to give you some ideas to manage the situation going forward. It would be nice to think that you would get a diagnosis and be assigned an MS Nurse, who may be able to deal with some of the problems that you are experiencing.

Medical professionals can be frustrating. But, we do have to put our foot down and demand answers or access to other services. However, these people may be having a bad day too. So, be assertive but always be polite. Also, a smile can help get your way.

Let us know how you get on at your appointment on Wednesday.

tessb
1 year ago

Hi, sorry but there is no excuse for rudeness and bullying and that is all I get from my surgery, I have two other serious medical issues as well as this and would like some help. I was shouted at then she put the phone down on me when I started to cry. These people are not suitable for some of these jobs. Really, the is the reality of so called care here in the UK.

stumbler
1 year ago

@tessb, there is no excuse for rudeness. I know these people are under pressure, but aren’t we all!

Practice receptionists seem to be a breed apart, but they are the Doctor’s first line of defence.

Have a word with the Practice Manager. Suggest that you’d like to find a better way that you can all work together.

Just a suggestion………..

digger
8 months ago

I can recommend Pregabalin for pain i.e. it worked for me. It also is good for anxiety which may help in dealing with some of the anger and frustration. I have no idea how you go about it but when I read your obvious annoyance the word advocacy came to mind. What you want is the best care for yourself but in my experience, it doesn’t help to yell at staff however justified. I think it helps to express feelings of anger but it doesn’t achieve the outcome you want in the hospital setting. Early on in my M.S, I use to drive along A roads with the volume fully up and scream at the top of my voice. I found this hugely cathartic. I am not suggesting you do this but anger is a part of this condition in my opinion and needs to find a home somewhere, an appropriate one that doesn’t harm anything of course.

I think the previous comment around assertiveness is good. However, I appreciate that it is not always easy to know how to go about it e.g ask the right questions, know what your position is e.t.c

Re-reading your messages, I am not surprised you’re angry, the pain seems to figure largely. I feel for you and hope you can ameliorate some of that soon. I wish you the very best.

wheelrunconflux
7 months ago

I take co-codamol 30/500 and it seems to work well enough for me.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.