Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 years ago

Wow! This could be an interesting subject.
Yes, MS can cause physical pain. We can adopt compensatory actions for MS weaknesses, which can introduce poor posture/gait. This can lead to physical pain.
MS can also cause neuropathic pain. This is pain which doesn’t actually exist, although the brain insists that the pain actually does exist.
So, does everyone suffer pain eventually? Well, MS is so individual, so there must be cases which don’t involve pain.
In my early days, I used to get asked how I dealt with the pain. I have to admit that back then, I found the question strange – should I have been suffering pain, because I wasn’t?
OK, quite a few more years have now passed, involving a couple of relapses, and I now have neuropathic “pain”.
But, nothing is definite with this condition. So, try not to worry too much about the future. Today needs living first! 🙂

scarletmartina7
5 years ago

Ok just don’t feel like of a future with being in pain. I know everyone is different but some people are lucky. Hope I am

Anonymous
5 years ago

I am 41 years of age and have had MS for 24 years. I do not have any pain, just numb feet and body tingles. Is this the norm?

stumbler
5 years ago

Nothing in MS is normal, it’s too individual.
And, @scarletmartina7, a lot depends on how you manage your MS. If you can lead a healthy lifestyle and avoid worry/stress, you may be able to live very happily with your MS. Have this as an objective.
😉

pottypete
5 years ago

As Stumbler said, we’re all different. I’ve suffered pain from the outset, but have periodical breaks from it. Some never suffer at all, so it’s just a case that there are winners and losers in the pain stakes.

scramblelina
5 years ago

I was diagnosed 6 years ago and have been fortunate enough to have experienced no pain symptoms. I’ve only met a couple of other people with MS, both of them did experience painful symptoms so I am very aware of how fortunate I am.

I hope you’ll be equally fortunate.

aardvark
5 years ago

Hi scarletmartina7, I hope you’re lucky too. Like Scramblelina and openminded my experience with MS has been entirely pain free. Not to say that it has been without hassle, as it hasn’t; but pain – no.

Mark 🙂

cameron
5 years ago

Pain can often be the result of something arising from the MS rather than the MS in itself (as @stumbler says). I’ve had quite a few problems with my back, caused because my gait has changed since the MS started. It became ever more painful, but that was because there was progressive damage to the vertebrae – not the MS progressing! Rather than worry about pain, concentrate on keeping your musculo-skeletal frame as healthy as possible – i.e. exercise as much as you can and get any problem sorted out immediately. I say this with feeling, as I delayed getting treatment for my back and that was (as it turned out) a bad move. Unfortunately, with MS you may be that much more likely to have trips and falls – and they are definitely painful!

scarletmartina7
5 years ago

Thanks I really Hope I’m lucky

loulou
5 years ago

Cameron, I too have the back pain due to bad gait because of foot drop that in turn leads to a bad neck as well, this is the only pain I have with MS, I have just been approved funding for two safo’s which I am really really hoping is going to help my back and neck, we rely on the strength in our backs to help us do so much, little things like leaning forward to put socks on, cutting toe nails etc!
what do you do to help your back pain may I ask?

cameron
5 years ago

I had physio, then cortisone injections and then finally a discectomy – it was minimally invasive surgery to remove the piece of one vertebra which had chipped and which was giving me sciatica. I do hydrotherapy every week, which helps keep everything supple. I also do pilates, which is excellent because it is concentrated on the spine. I have in recent months felt a big reduction in back pain since I started taking vitamin D.What are safos?

reddivine
5 years ago

Agree with Stumbler, there really is no Normal! MS affects everyone differently. Read a few stories on here and you will realise that. Don’t worry for the future, live NOW and adapt to your changing body as you go on.

JustJones
5 years ago

good advice for @stumbler, @cameron, @reddivine and everyone else…

I think the main message I can give is be adaptable… as often you don’t know what’s next.

until very recently i had been relapse free for over 2 years and other than the odd bit of fatigue… I’d really been healthier than I’d ever been.

the most recent relapse has involved “pain”. Although Neuropathic pain… and not something I’d actually describe as pain.

It’s an irritant, and bearable…. but has disturbed my sleep and normal day to day patterns and routines.

the “pain” feels like “electric water” running down the inside of my left leg….

It sounds odd… and it’s the best way i can describe it…. and you know what…? it is odd. I’ve been given neuropathic painkillers and it’s really helped.

scarletmartina7
5 years ago

Everyone is different . I just have to take each day as it comes. Fatigue has gone just have double vision now so I’m going back to work tomorrow!! I really Hope it goes well. I Hope I can lead a ‘normal ‘ life. It’s such early days just over 2 weeks Xx

alaz2906
5 years ago

im in the process of being diagnosis currently i had a stroke and relapse in november 2011 and they still cant actually put it down on paper what it is yet! but i live everyday in server pain, neurological and physical but they cant get mine under control due to waiting on the diagnosis!!!!! im on morphine patches and about 27tablets a day, can anyone suggest something, i cant sleep much as im up in pain and suffer from fatigue quiet frequently at the moment so strenuous exersice is out??? any ideas pls???

f3ng5hu1
5 years ago

This has already been pretty well covered by people here so just to reiterate…

Relapses technically (for med purposes) are re occurring symptoms that last a while then disappear till they possibly occur again.

These can last longer than a day or sometimes weeks, months.

Brief ones, (flares) can come and go within minutes.

The different levels and degree of these is really so varied that it would be impossible to pinpoint any degree of accuracy overall on any scale between one symptom and the next.

The main thing is not to worry about things that haven’t happened yet. If you can focus on the now & not the ‘what if’s’ then your in a good place.

stumbler
5 years ago

@scarletmartina7, well done for getting back to work. Just don’t over do it, build up gradually.
Good luck.

loulou
5 years ago

Hi Cameron, you have me thinking I may investigate my ongoing back pain further
Safos are silicone foot orthotics

http://www.dorset-ortho.com/orthotics/orthotic-products/safo/

last night there was a programme on called extrodinary people, a poor woman had 17 stone legs
she had a huge Safo made to help her footdrop, really interesting, perhaps watch on I player.
the gentleman on there is the guy Im dealing with to have mine made
ps I MUST remember to take my vitamin D, I am glad your back is better for you, constant back pain is just the worst thing !

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.