Last reply 3 years ago
overheating???

Hi all,
I’m female 47 been diagnosed nearly two years with RRMS. Since dx I am extremely heat intolerant, hate the heat in the sun now. I seem to overheat a lot for no reason even when the weather isn’t warm. Back of my neck, forehead and chest starts to sweat. Thought I was menopausal but Ms nurse says my thermo regulator thingy isn’t working correctly. Does anyone else have this problem. Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

Hi @redfox67 , yes, heat intolerance is a problem for me. I can sit out in the sun for 15 minutes and my legs will become devoid of energy and not work. No sweating though.

The summer heat on its own can have a similar impact.

Having said that, I have managed a holiday to the Maldives without this kind of issue. I feel it is the type of heat that we get in the UK. So, humidity seems to play a part in this too.

cameron
3 years ago

Yes, that’s exactly it! I’m the first person to overheat and the first to start shivering. The body clock is definitely affected. But I find it also ties in with general health – the fitter I am, the less I’m bothered by temperature.

redfox67
3 years ago

You know I’m actually sick of some people…I’ve family members who say “you have never liked the sun because your ginger” which is true BUT now it’s even worse for me, none of them have taken the time to read a bit about MS and they all assume cos I look ok for after my relapse they think I’m better?!? Drives me flaming mad lol, be nice for one of them to say “how are you Julia?” but it never happens. Sorry if I was ranting but I feel like I’m on my own with this disease if you know what I mean?

stumbler
3 years ago

@redfox67 , ranting is an acceptable pastime on this forum. We know exactly how you feel and I’m sure we’ve all been there.

The only people that really understand MS and its impact is another person with MS! 😉

meld38
3 years ago

Hi, I suffer with getting hot all the time, it’s really embarrassing, it can be triggered by eating a meal, sitting at my desk at work, talking to someone, anything really, and it feels so uncomfortable and I feel like why me and why does it happen? I never considered a internal temperature fault?! How do you fix that? Am really concerned as it puts me off doing anything social and I then become quite isolated. So any suggestions are very welcome..

cameron
3 years ago

Hi @meld38, knowledge is power. The better you get to know exactly what triggers the overheating, the easier it is to manage. e.g. have you tried drinking very cold water with your meal? In my case, it’s definitely worse when I’m overtired and under-exercised. The more I move around, the better. Sitting for too long, especially in the summer months, is a no-no. I can actually feel myself boiling up. It’s also worse if I don’t get enough sleep – but I can’t drop off if the room is either too cool or too warm. I am in the absurd position of needing thermal socks and usually a hot water bottle in bed while having the air con on High. (I actually got the air con for this reason, after a ceiling fan and room cooler were not effective). And like EVERYTHING MS-related, it becomes a whole lot worse if you’re stressed for any reason……!

janep
3 years ago

I’ve always been quite warm blooded and as I’m originally from North Yorkshire was quite used to being the person in the communal office in a vest top while others had heaters under their desks but this has definitely been exacerbated since my diagnosis. My thermostat is definitely broken! Generally I struggle with heat and seem to go from fine to overheating ridiculously quickly and take ages to cool myself down again. I also occasionally have the opposite problem, on the rare occasion that I get cold (usually if I’m not very well or very very tired) it takes me forever to warm up. Really frustrating!

meld38
3 years ago

Hi, thank you for your input guys, it’s reassuring that I am not the only one with heat issues. Writing down what the triggers are is a good idea, although some of the situations I cannot get out of, e.g. Work, unless I nip off to the ladies every minute or so, which doesn’t look very good to the boss who sits next to me. I do have a fan on my desk which helps a little bit but is noisy and full on so can’t use it for too long. I am considering using a sweat prohibitor cream, but am a bit anxious about that because if I put it on sweat areas will I start sweating somewhere else?! It’s a horrible thing….

redfox67
3 years ago

Hi guys, I really cannot pinpoint as to why it starts, to be honest it can just start for any reason, i.e. Standing talking, sitting watching television, but I have noticed that when the sweat starts to form on my forehead the burning sensation I constantly have appears to get worse when I “overheat” it only lasts a few minutes but starts just whenever. I have asked a few people in a support group I’m in about it and several ladies have said to try sage leaf capsules from Holland and Barrett…which I intend to do when I next go to the city (11 miles away). I will keep you updated if they work!!

tabbycat
3 years ago

dear RedFox67 we can think every thing is MS, but to me you symptoms sound like classic hot flushes . I had the same thing a few months after being diagnosed with MS at the age of 50 and thought I was having panic attacks and would never be able to sleep at night again. They came from no where and got worse and worse.Then I went to a gynecologist and she slapped on a hormone sticky patch and in three days I felt normal again. I always thought I would try to avoid HRT when the time came, but I felt like I had so many other things to deal with that being boiling bloody hot all the time was not one of them!
So, before you put it down to MS get your hormones checked and good luck – that bit can be helped!

redfox67
3 years ago

Dear TabbyCat, thanks for your reply. I have actually been to see my GP and she doesn’t think I’m menopausal as my face didn’t flush up when it happened in there, my periods are still regular, I don’t have night sweats, so she thinks not. I was kinda hoping it was that so I could get on HRT lol. I’m dreading it when I do start with it

finchy
3 years ago

Watch out for overheating when you are out and about and have to use an accessible toilet. Stress and heat in these situations have caused me to collapse in the wc necessitating manhandling by heroic restaurant staff. Take off jumpers and coats and dowse your face and neck with cold water before any wheelchair transfer would be my tip for what its worth.

rose54
3 years ago

Yes, so glad to hear I am not the only one. The overheating and sweating started about a year ago, but I didn’t know I had ms yet. About 6 months ago, it started happening and it has never left, some days are worse than others. I start sweating like for no reason. I figured maybe it was a hypothalmus issue? I started myself on curcumin extract and so far it has decreased the overheating and sweating spells, although they are still present just not as bad.

finchy
3 years ago

Overheating used to be the main symptom used to diagnose MS using the ‘bath test’.

This phenomenon is known as Uhtoff’s phenomenon and was identified back in 1890.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhthoff's_phenomenon

Uhtoff syndrome was the first symptom i had that led me to a self diagnosis of ms. When i went running my vision was affected (optic neuritis)- returning to normal when i cooled down.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.