Last reply 3 years ago
Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis

Has anyone looked at the Overcoming Mulitple Sclerosis website? It’s an Australian professor who claims he has overcome his ms by following this diet. He’s not saying it’s a cure and is still in favour of dmd’s for some patients. I’ve found some of the evidence quite compelling and am just wondering if anyone has adopted his OMS approach?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

ziva
3 years ago

Hi there, I have used the book Overcoming MS but friends I have discussed it with stated that the info in there is quite data. I have looked into his website an he has various activities of interest mainly in Australia. Which sound wonderful but pricey!
I have largely been living my life using the dietary regime which has had an overall benefit. But my MS is getting worse now after many years and for many reasons. But I still think that diet is crucial to living with this insidous disease.

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Agree totally with @ziva that diet is crucial living with this… I don’t follow the OMS diet but I follow a low fat diet with no gluten, dairy, eggs, yeast, sugars, legumes and feel so much better for it 😀

I recommend a food diary to everyone and learn what makes you feel worse and cut those foods out, everyone is different so it’s a good idea to learn what works for you… I do believe that diet plays a huge part in symptoms…

Good luck xxx

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Also meditation is a must with MS … OMS lifestyle realises this too which is super 😀

xxx

aussiekylie
3 years ago

Yes Cazzzy the OMS approach recommends daily meditation, exercise, stress reduction etc. I’ve cut almost everything out except a small amount of Mayo on my salad and a couple of wheatmeal biscuits each day. I am looking for alternatives for these. However I have not noticed any difference in how I feel but then again I am pretty fit & healthy anyway.
Any healthy options for recipes welcome!

aussiekylie
3 years ago

Yes @ziva I was a little critical of this professors motives considering the cost of retreats etc but then I thought well he’s offerring so much other advice for free? It’s very confusing and there’s so much conflicting advice out there and my doctor didn’t seem to advocate his diet , she just said to maintain a healthy balanced diet.
Anyway I’m trying my best at the moment after all, it can only make me healthier

shtanto
3 years ago

Nicola did a talk about this for the Dublin MSers not too long ago. I called in to help with the IT.

Diet works. Terry Wahls is proof of that. I have a copy of the book, so I’m trying to get all the catering staff in the MS respite centres here to read it and cook appropriately.

col81
3 years ago

Hi, I’m a firm believer in diet and how much it benefits people like us! I was diagnoed back in 2003 and I turned down the offer of drugs from my doctor and decided to look in to the healthiest diet for me. I’m happy to say that I have never had another relapse since 2003. It’s not a quick fix where you see instant results but the benefits out number any short term fixes. Changing your diet can’t do any harm only the possibility to make you feel better 🙂 x

kimcarlson
3 years ago

a lot of people discuss this. diet does make us healthy. i think it is good to follow a healthy diet. my mom’s friend is 80 and never took medication (back in the day) and she has MS and she is still OK.

col81
3 years ago

That’s wonderful to hear! I think when people hear that it’s not just one outcome after diagnosis it gives them encouragement to keep positive. I don’t care if I have to keep taking wheatgrass and flaxseed forever if it keeps me healthy 🙂

ziva
3 years ago

Healthy eating is so crucial to all aspects of wellbeing . But having ms brings it into sharp focus- because feel its made it has and is made a difference to the progress of this disease for me.

aussiekylie
3 years ago

@col81 that’s great that you’ve remained healthy and without dmds. Have you been rigidly following the OMS diet or just following a balanced diet?

col81
3 years ago

Since 2003 after diagnosis I decided to change my diet completlty as I was determined to stay as healthy as possible so ms couldn’t rear its ugly head again!
I didn’t know about the OMS at the time but after trolling through the internet i decided that the best diet for me was high fibre, loads of fruit and veg and plenty of fish. I had the ditch all processed foods like crisps, sweets, chocolates, ice cream and cut out all other dairy foods to.
Over the years the healthy lifestyle has taken hold of me! I’m forever ready different articles, books, programmes on the effect food has on our bodies. At present I am studying to become a nutrionist and hopefully carry on with the studying to become a dietician in the future.
I do think diet is just part of the puzzle to fighting ms, excercise, stress and the whole outlook on life has a lot to do with it to but I’m ready for the challenge! Keep happy and healthy Aussiekylie 🙂 xx

aussiekylie
3 years ago

@col81 that’s great to hear! My diet consists of fruit, vegetables and lots of salads (with raw veges added) and I’ve changed to soy milk in my coffee. My hardest thing to change is my dressing on salads- I only like mayonnaise type dressings and I haven’t found a dairy & egg free one that tastes nice. So I’m currently using just a small amount of ordinary Mayo but I know I need to cut this out.ive only been on this diet/way of life for a couple of weeks so part of me is saying “give yourself a break you’ve cut everything else out” and the other part of me is saying “get your act together before it impacts your health”. If you have any dietary tips I’d love to hear them. Thanks so much

col81
3 years ago

It’s hard in the beginning to give up all your favourite foods but I kept telling myself it’s worth it and my family need me to stay strong!
Over the years I started to enjoy the foods and I love experimenting with different recepies tweaking them to suit my needs but still taste great! I start off with hot water and squeezed lemon in, then I follow that with green tea. After that I will have a fruit bowl – normally pineapple, blueberries, pomegranate and grapes. Later on I will have a bowl of museli (no sugar or milk) with almond milk or soya milk. Through the morning I will have water, green tea or nettle tea. Lunch time is sweet potato, butternut squash, onion, red pepper, garlic and lentil soup. Through the afternoon if I’m hungry I will have fruit or veg snacks and plenty of water or green tea. Tea time I will normally have salmon, watercress, broccoli, spinach, tomato with some wholegrain rice. Before bed I might have some grapes or apple and I make sure to have hot water with squeezed lemon.
The supplements I take are vitamin D, flaxseed and wheat grass.
This diet sounds rigid and boring but its my way of life now and I wouldn’t change it for anything because I know its helping me stay strong.
I hope that has given you a few ideas and please don’t hesitate to contact me again if you need any recepies ideas xxx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.