Last reply 1 year ago
Osteoporosis – you're at increased risk!

I know most of this site is about MS specific treatment – but I want to raise the profile of osteoporosis in people with MS.
I’m (only!) 53 and recently had a fracture neck of femur (NOF) and subsequent total hip replacement, after a simple slip. I was surrounded by patients in their 80s and 90s in hospital (much more usual age for NOF). But theres a big link between MS and osteoporosis!
From a DEXA scan, I’ve got osteoporosis in my other hip and osteopenia in my spine. Having avoided all medication (MS for 30 years – managing myself nicely, thank you!), I am now going to have to start alendronate – as that will reduce my fracture risk (after a year or so)
I think other MSers should think about osteoporosis.
NOW – before they get a fracture!
I’m sure its not just me who avoids sun (and so Vit D).
I’m sure its not just me who deconditions quickly (I saw my hard-fought-for muscles melting away – even during the surgical admission).
Other MSers who take steroids are even more at risk than me.
The inflammation of MS is thought to independently link into an increased risk of osteoporosis.
While it cant prevent 100%, why aren’t we being advised – strongly – to have adequate (higher than normal OTC) Vit D , and calcium?
Why aren’t we advised about earlier than normal DEXA scans?
THis might mean fewer people with my sort of problem! Please think about this for yourself!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, @caromawer . The issue of Vitamin D deficiency now has a better focus, with the inadequate Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) having been superseded.

cameron
1 year ago

If you didn’t read my post re: vitD plus vitK, just to say that I was recommended by my dentist to add a vitK supplement to my vitD because it directs the vitD into the bones, thereby improving absorption and helping prevent hardening of the arteries.

Anonymous
1 year ago

Thanks caromawer. I’m early 40s and thinking about calcium deficiency as I’m dairy free. I take a high dosage vit d 4000iu and occasionally calcium with magnesium, but Ive recently found out my vit d is too high! It should be between 60-80 (mine is 90) so I’ve been advised by my homeopath to back off. I love the ☀️ And I’m have regular blood tests. Back to calcium – what’s a dexa scan?

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Just hit the ripe old age of 32 on Thursday already feel like I’m 80 ? knees are starting to creek and walk like a constipated penguin ? thought it was just a old war wound but I keep reading up on vit d etc and it’s making me wonder is it about time I started to look after myself a little bit and pump in some vitamins instead of ?. Where would one acquire multivits etc holland & Barrets? And which one should I go for there’s thousands also where can you get tested for vid d levels? Thanks

stumbler
1 year ago

@doubleo7hud , a simple blood test is required to check your vitamin D3 level. And it would be worthwhile to have your B12 checked at the same time.

Have a word with your GP about this. They’ll need to authorise the blood test. If they identify a deficiency, they may prescribe a supplement for you.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

@stumbler iv had b12 along with TSH U&es lfts full blood count hba1c coeliac screen bone profile ana and anca. All were normal just had letter this morning no idea what they all are apart from b12

stumbler
1 year ago

@doubleo7hud , give your GP’s practice a call on Monday and ask if they have your latest blood test results. If they have, then just ask for the Vitamin D3 value………..

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

@stumbler thanks again dr stumbs 😉

stumbler
1 year ago

@doubleo7hud , don’t want to disappoint (or scare) you, but I have no medical training………. 😕

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

@stumbler I know your not mate, really knowledgeable about the whole subject tho and more than helpful above and beyond I’d give you a medal ? a gold one

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.