Last reply 3 years ago
Optic neurtis

Is possible to get optic neurtis is one eyes and then several months later get in the other eye?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@weybey , I’ve not suffered from this symptom personally, but the following gives a fair amount of information:-

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/signs-and-symptoms/eyes-and-sight/optic-neuritis

As far as MS is concerned, I have just learnt to expect the unexpected! 😕

meg
3 years ago

That is what happened to me in 1978 and 1979. My right eye-socket was painful for a few days then I lost the vision in the centre of my right eye for about three months. The following year my left eye was affected but not as seriously and for a much shorter time. Both eyes seem to have completely recovered apart from the fact I tend to turn the light on a bit sooner than my husband.

With hindsight I was told that these were the the first episodes of what was later diagnosed as benign relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis. I had no further eye problems until earlier this year when I had an episode of double vision lasting 5 days with the two images side by side followed a month later by double vision where the two images were on top of each other.
I hope your recovery is as complete and that no further episodes ensue

aussiekylie
3 years ago

@meg that’s decades between relapses, that’s fantastic ! Have you had any other MS symptoms in that time? I got optic neuritis in June this year (first and only symptom) and it hasn’t recovered yet. I still get eye pain and am anxious about how/if it will progress.

meg
3 years ago

I’m afraid the optical neuritis has not been the only incident, but initially the other episodes never lasted for more than a couple of days. They included spates of numbness, tripping over flat pavements, choking on my own saliva and extreme fatigue when I got hot. Things generally resolved before I saw a doctor. It was 2004 before I had a major episode that lead to the diagnosis and 2008 before it got serious enough to be eligible for Betaferon, so I’ve been lucky really. I was told I had benign relapsing remitting MS in that I’ve had it more than 30 years without becoming grossly disabled and that benign MS often starts with optic neuritis. Stress does not help so try not to worry.

aussiekylie
3 years ago

Thank you @meg, your story gives me hope. I’m very conscious of avoiding stress as @stumbler has drummed it into us about how detrimental it can be- I choose to take his advice and hopefully prevent any further damage. And when my mind wanders or my eyes hurt (which is often) I’m becoming good at being aware that I’m stressing and am then able to shut it down.
Thanks again for sharing your story.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.