bbaughman 10/05/18
Last reply 1 week ago
Optic Neuritis in right eye

So I recently was diagnosed with optic neuritis in my right eye, my doctor wants to put me on 3 day iv steroids. Does this help, how long will this fuzzy/blurriness be in my eye? What is your experience with optic neuritis?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

Hi @bbaughman and welcome.

A course of high dosage steroids should address the inflammation on your optic nerve causing the problem.

Once the inflammation is resolved, your body/brain can get on with recovering the damage that has been done. The steroids will be helping this process over the following 6-8 weeks. But, you must rest up to allow this recovery to take place.

You’ll need to be patient though. Visual problems can take some time to fully recover…..

novemberrain
2 weeks ago

I had retrobulbar (optic) neuritis 20 years ago. I was diagnosed in ophthalmology department and was told it would resolve by itself. No pain involved although I did go colour blind in the affected eye. I could still see, just a patch of fuzziness in central vision of rt eye, peripheral vision was OK. Took a few weeks to sort itself out and no more episodes since. No experience of steroids, perhaps this is a recent recommendation? Hope it resolves quickly, with or without steroids.

kermujin
2 weeks ago

Hi there,

I had optic neuritis in my left eye about four years ago, and declined the steroids. Then I got it again last summer, but in my right eye. That time I took the steroids and I have to tell you the amount of time it took to recover was *drastically* shorter than without the steroids – like, by weeks of recovery! It’s the only time I’ve been able to gauge this reasonably accurately, as it’s the only time I’ve had the ‘same’ attack happen a second time.

Both times I have had a full recovery (i.e., no lasting vision damage), but if you can handle the steroids, I’d definitely recommend doing it.

ndrbzz
2 weeks ago

My advice: do not wear an eye patch. Trust me. I did it. It seems cool. But it’s not. Unless you already look like johnny depp.

Jokes aside, when it happened to me steroids helped me get back to normal quickly. It took 2-3 weeks for the blurrines to disappear completely but I guess every person is different.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

Steroids make no difference to the outcome of a relapse, but they do expedite the recovery, so make the outcome happen sooner! 😉

vivien
2 weeks ago

I had left optic neuritis in November last year and took the steroids. 2 weeks and I was back to driving and easing back to work. During recovery, don’t strain you eyes 👀, I was told not to use my mobile 📱 or tablet unless I could read it at arm’s length and for max 20 minutes at a time. Recovery of peripheral sight was almost instant and I was taking steroids orally. Gradually increase your time spent reading or using screens. I was back to 20/20 vision within 4 weeks.

arknat
2 weeks ago

I had ON followed by double vision immediately in a couple of months. Both conditions cleared on its own ( in about 6 weeks) without any steroids. I’m fortunate to recover almost completely (90% +).

peterfrancis
2 weeks ago

I’ve had the blurriness issue and inability to focus my eyes directly on whatever it is I’m watching/reading. Also my left eye has been leaking a lot over the last few weeks.

Is this Optic Neuritis?…. Well, no idea, never been diagnosed with or tested for it, as far as I’m aware. I do have an appointment next week to see an Ophthalmologist, for my yearly Diabetic Eyesight check. So maybe find out more then.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@peterfrancis , the opthalmologist should be able to see nerve damage, if they look deep into your eyes, with their scope thing.

novemberrain
2 weeks ago

@peterfrancis this likely isn’t optic neuritis but the “scope thing” will rule it out. Could be dry eye causing leaky eye or high blood sugar causing blurriness. Is your blurriness in one or both eyes? ON likes to affect one side or the other as a general rule.

peterfrancis
2 weeks ago

The blurred vision is in both eyes but not all the time.
The main reason for my appointment next week is not only because I’m Diabetic, have to have yearly reviews but also because I have maculopathy/retinopathy in my left eye. I have had this once befor about 5 years or so ago, laser treatment got rid of it but it has returned.

californiadreamin
2 weeks ago

It’s commonly stated by doctors that steroids don’t effect the eventual outcome but this hasn’t actually been studied. It is very possible steroids could help not just the outcome but possibly because it reduces damage to brain reserve. Not suggesting using steroids more then needed but if you are on the fence if to use them or not, that might help your decision. There are other problems with frequent use of steroids but those are well established.

arknat
1 week ago

The thing with steroids is that it works for some folks sometimes but not all at all times. Personally I couldn’t have had a better outcome for both my eye issues without steroids. That said, if you’re willing to go the steroid route, it may be worth a shot. It might help do not think it’ll not make matters worse other than actually spending your time on it.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.