Last reply 4 weeks ago
Optic Neuritis and Driving

Hello

I had my first relapse in June and was diagnosed following an episode of optic neuritis. Some steroids and everything cleared up, I thought my eyesight was grand. Today I had my DVLA eyesight check as a result of informing them and I’m shocked to find out my field of vision is impaired. I can see fine but the optician doesn’t know if I’ll keep my license! I can honestly see fine and read the charts but I get white flashes when I move my eye and the test gets you to press a button when you see a white flash. I’m so scared as losing my license will have a hugely detrimental effect on my life. I live rurally with two kids. I don’t know what I want from posting this but I’m just so scared and feel so healthy and normal and I think I’ve just realised how serious this diagnosis is. Has anyone had similar?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
4 weeks ago

Hi @rachelteasdale , these events are hugely unsettling and worrisome.

But, that’s the last thing you should be doing. Stress is a major antagonist of MS, so is best avoided.

You need to just sit, down and catch your breath. Optic Neuritis can take a few months to clear up, so it’s best if you just chill out and let your body do what it’s trying to do – recover.

Good luck with the eye test.

vixen
4 weeks ago

Hello @rachelteasdale, yes, you are very recently diagnosed. When I had recovered from my first relapse 2 years ago, ie, I felt better, I know now that it took me quite a while to recover fully. So hang on in there, there’s every chance you may recover further, and that another test further down will yield better results. All the best x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.