Anonymous 11/06/15
Last reply 3 years ago
OMG not the LP…

I have been trying to avoid this for as long as possible,but now they saying it needs doing.I know i am a bit of a wuss with these things and the very thought leaves me wanting to retreat to my man cave and concentrate on my power animal lol
ps i cant get the phrase ‘they hurt like a bas***d’ out of my head…not mentioning any names…you know who u are @tracyd whoops!!! lol

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

krisp
3 years ago

Hey
I had mine done last month and I kid you not, the needle to take the blood hurt more than the Lp seriously

He had me doing it sat on a bed leaning over a table, no lying down not even after, told me to sit still once he’d taken the fluid for about two minutes and sent me home

Only things I did was drink coke before and after

Anonymous
3 years ago

hi @krisp i hope it goes as easy as that for me.What was you like after/rest of day? could u drive say? or was you laid up rest of the day or back to normal???

krisp
3 years ago

Hi
I had a lift home and took it easy sort of led on the sofa watching tv
Nothing over the top but genuinely the needle for blood was worse
Felt a bit odd when he took it out but genuinely the blood one was worse, but I know some people have it terrible, my neuro does them himself and is proud of it so maybe that helped

Anonymous
3 years ago

looks like it will be pot luck then,they better get it right the first time or i’ll be outta there
never to be seen again!!

tracyd
3 years ago

@ironribs
You’ll be fine, I had 2 in quick succession and the neurologist done one was fine. Remember I’m a girl, bit rough tough guy like you could probably play a game of pool while it’s being done and not notice 🙂 xxx

Anonymous
3 years ago

i hope so @tracyd …my power animal seems to have morphed into orville the duck!!!
Why can’t i just have another mri instead? surely be more useful,from what ive seen lp is only a nudge in ms direction…”I’LL GET YOU FOR THIS MCDONALD CRITERIA” !!!

tracyd
3 years ago

The LP measures something important in your diagnosis. I don’t have my records here with me at work to be more detailed I am afraid I’m sure other can tell you what it is.

Good luck xx

stumbler
3 years ago

@ironribs , don’t sweat on this one. They’re getting quite good at it now and all the needles are engineered superfine.

I had one back in the 80’s – wow! But, I was persuaded to have another one in the late 90s. I didn’t feel a thing!

The reference to drinking Coke above is just a suggestion to ensure that you’re hydrated with caffeine drinks. This aids recovery. So, proper coke – not one of the later PC variants.

Good luck.

stumbler
3 years ago

Following on from @tracyd , they test your cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) for the presence of oligoclonal bands, which is another MS indicator. This supplements the information obtained from MRI scans and other tests.

tracyd
3 years ago

@stumbler, thanks for filling in my blank bits 🙂

@ironribs & @krisp my neurologist told me that caffeine helps replace the CSF more quickly – It’s a license to drink leaded coffee and fat coke 🙂

Anonymous
3 years ago

cheers guys,@Stumbler the word superfine in your sentence,am keeping that in my head now!
also maybe I’ll have to switch from vodka & tonic to vodka & coke on the day lol purely for medicinal reasons mind…
Now i just need to ‘man up’ superfine
superfine
superfine
superfine
superfine

ruggermad
3 years ago

I had mine about a year ago. Didn’t have to get undressed, just had to lay on my side and pull my shirt above my derrier. Was given an injection to numb my back, then after about 20 minutes of the trainee nurse finding the right spot, I was free to go. 500 ml full fat coke works a treat.

Nothing to worry about – seriously. Once the procedure was over I walked back to my car and drove home.

brokendancer
3 years ago

I had my first one about a month or two ago and I was advised to lay down after – I was terrified before it but it was fine, then I was a little horror for laying down because I felt just fine! 🙂
Sonia x

Anonymous
3 years ago

Cheers guys,keep the good story’s coming,Sonia…believe me when i say this,i will insist on laying down after! lol knowing me i will probably want a round of applause and a sticker!!

wellworn
3 years ago

lts over 30yrs ago when l had mine – No trouble at all – either during it or after.

tabbycat
3 years ago

THE procedure is fine, but you can be unlucky and suffer real pain afterwards, so when they say lie down, take it seriously and stay lying down as long as possible. It won’t kill you, but it can be surprising, so take advise seriously and good luck.

Anonymous
3 years ago

If it is traumatic to you, who are we to judge? The test by itself is not definitive. It’s on a checklist of tests deemed advisable when used collectively to eliminate imposter conditions. My doc could tell from the MRIs, evoked potentials, nerve conductivity tests, and exhaustive blood work, and did not require further evidence. Do not let others with less anxiety, belittle your concerns and intimidate you to do something you are not comfortable with. In the final analysis, it is up to you. Don’t ask. Simply tell your doc to skip the test.

Anonymous
3 years ago

hi @orlando27 i agree in that its not definitive,if it were i would maybe find it more palatable.I think the issue is that the mri and bloodwork&history point to ms–but the evoked potential an nerve conductivity test don’t.So i think its 2 all.The options seemed to be 1.have the lp and get the diagnosis if suggestive (u can already see i don’t fancy this) or 2.wait for another relapse…(am not keen on this even more!)
so am kind of thinking its the lesser of two evils.Although i was hoping for an option 3.Another mri (because this relapse started after the initial mri),so it should be more useful in 1.the diagnosis 2.the prognosis…??? but i reckon because the lp will be a lot cheaper and can get me diagnosed that this is why its been recommended.
Or maybe i am overthinking it,i don’t know…
ps initially i refused lp straight away but when i was presented with option 2…i said “when do u want me” in a shaky worried voice lol

cabbage777
3 years ago

I had one done a few months ago the anesthetic I could feel but didn’t even know they had done procedure!! And I am a wuss!! Was in and out if hosp within 1 1/2 hrs.
Good luck and try not to worry x

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.