Last reply 1 week ago
Numbness

Yesterday afternoon I started feeling weird sensations on my right side (same side as my optic neuritis appeared). This morning I wake up and i’m completely numb from the waist down on the right side and I can feel it creeping into my fingers now too 🙁
I know everyone’s symptoms vary hugely but I am wondering if those of you who experience numbness can tell me how long it lasted each time? I have a long haul flight on Thursday and I am terrified to think how I will feel at my destination, I already suffer with extreme pain in my muscles and not being able to get up and move about freely is going to be an issue!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

laurianne25
1 week ago

@doxielover, I know, numbness was my first sign. Started in my left thigh and gradually spread down leg to foot, across abdomen and down left leg and foot, couldn’t drive for awhile because I couldn’t feel the pedals. Finally got 5 days IV Solumedrol in March, couple weeks after that it eventually disappeared.

laurianne25
1 week ago

*I meant it travelled down my right leg and foot as well!

doxielover
1 week ago

Thanks for the reply Laurianne, I probably shouldn’t have driven today but I had to get to work.
How long did you put up with the numbness before you saw your Dr? Did you question your neurologist or just your family Dr?

laurianne25
1 week ago

@doxielover, I actually saw a whole string of people. First Urgent Care when my left foot went numb, then ER when I couldn’t feel pedals. They all said pinched nerve with sciatica, but In all this time I’ve had NO pain, just numbness. My left foot was also blue and cold, so i was referred to a Vascular Surgeon who said nothing was wrong, come back in 30 years when i had something he could treat! Then PCP. She drew blood for everything and ordered a Brain MRI and referred me to my Neurologist who did other tests and eventually diagnosed me. The numbness started mid December 2018.
E

doxielover
1 week ago

Ok I guess that’s different than me as I already have a MS diagnosis so this is just a new symptom for me on top of the other symptoms I already have. I’m so frustrated though, it’s affecting my life so much at the moment.

Last week I had a tooth infection and my muscle spasm/pain went through the roof. I think im getting a cold so that might explain why the numbness has been triggered

stumbler
1 week ago

@doxielover , you might be stressing yourself about this upcoming flight. Stress is always likely to antagonise your MS.

So, try and chill out until the flight. And, then try and keep yourself as active as you can whilst on the flight, stretching and flexing your legs. Even get up and have a walk around on the plane, if convenient. An aisle seat would be useful.

doxielover
1 week ago

@stumbler

Yes I have a lot of different stressors in my life at the moment so I know that isn’t helping. I was able to get an aisle seat on my outbound flight and I just paid extra to upgrade my seat on the return so that I have more leg room and i’m able to recline a bit further.

I have been in constant pain for weeks now and now the numbness is tipping me over the emotional ledge i’m afraid 🙁

samyj
1 week ago

@doxielover
Hi, I too have optic neuritis and my symptoms usually are worse on left side. I woke up this morning with a large numb patch on left thigh. This is new to me. I do have a couple of small patches on lower legs, which seem to be permanent. I think it may be due to sitting for a long time yesterday. As you have a lot of symptoms, sounds like it could be a relapse. So hopefully it should improve, over the next few weeks.
Be good to yourself and rest. Stress always causes my symptoms to flair up.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.