Last reply 1 week ago
Norwegian MSers on Shift

Hi,

My wife and I are off to Norway for a delayed honeymoon. We are going to Oslo, Bergen and Tromso (hope to see the Northern Lights!)

Are there any members here that live in any of those cities?

If so, I’d love to pick your brains for local knowledge. Thank you very much.

Best,

Dom

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 week ago

@dominics , @caterpillar is in the Oslo area, but not been active on Shift for over a year.

@nemo is also Norwegian, just north of Bergen.

@mayvar, just north of Oslo.

@cammo may be able to help too

stumbler
1 week ago

And, there’s also Tripadvisor…………

cameron
1 week ago

When are you off? I go in Feb and have just booked a reindeer sledging excursion which I’m hoping won’t be too ambitious…x

dominics
1 week ago

@stumbler, you are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you.

Tripadvisor ought to be taken with a hefty dose of salt. Have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqPARIKHbN8 ?

@cameron – bit of a tour. Oslo, train to Bergen, fly to Tromso and see Aurora (fingers crossed) then fly home.

cammo
1 week ago

@dominics, I lived in Oslo for 5-6 years…

What would you like to know?

dominics
1 week ago

@cammo When I travel I am stomach driven. I love the good cheap places that are not the usual tourist traps.

We are going to watch a proper hockey game one night.

No opera that tickles our fancy.

We are interested in the cool things that locals know of, as well as any general hints/tips/advice sort of thing.

I appreciate your suggestions, thank you.

cammo
1 week ago

@dominics Norway is not really a gastro destination, unless you like lutefisk (Fish preserved in acid) or sheeps head. Just remember the national dish of Norway is frozen Grandiosa pizza… they love that crap.

To be fair I havent lived in Oslo for 10 years so a lot has probably changed in the dining scene.

I used to go to Bogstadveien. There was a good Thai place called Yaya’s there. A bit of a gimmick restaurant but good food.
Bislett Kebab was the best kebab in town.

There are a few Michelin starred restaurants in Oslo. “Eik” if I remember correctly. But I never went, too $$$. In general Norway is very expensive.

If you want to go out drinking/bar hopping I suggest you head to Grunerlokka. That is where the young pretty things head on Friday/Saturday nights.

If you are going in Winter I can suggest you catch the train to the local ski hill “Tryvann” (15 minutes away) or rent some cross-country skis and hit the tracks that surround town… Norwegians are very active people and love to ski (they invented it after all).

If you are going in summer you have to hit the fjord, sit on the rocks in the sun and eat Rekker (tiny little shrimp) on white bread slathered in Mayo… its a tradition.

Oh and dont be alarmed to see people covering their hotdogs (polse) in shrimp salad (rekke salat)… It is awesome, try it.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.