Last reply 3 years ago
Noisy pressure redistribution mattress

Hi all

Just tried my first night with a pressure redistribution mattress to prevent pressure sores. Wow…its noisy….is this part of the deal…is peace and quiet a thing of the past? I feel like i have spent the night being intimate with a vending machine. I used to enjoy my sleep but now that seems to be a distant memory. Does it have to be this way? Florence Nightingale would surely have something to say on the matter.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

I sympathise with you, I had one of these mattresses when I had a hospital stay for just over a week.

Would a memory foam mattress be another option for you?

finchy
3 years ago

Yes, I think that is probably more appropriate…nothing like peace and quiet!

cameron
3 years ago

If you do go for a memory foam mattress, be aware that there’s more than one sort. You can get all memory foam or an ordinary mattress with a separate upper layer of memory foam. The two layers are joined by an outer casing, although to look at, you’d think they were quite separate. I’ve had both types and I think the ‘double layer’ sort is better. (The all memory foam mattresses ‘bounce’ too much for my liking). The lower layer can be either coil or sprung. Sprung is much the better of the two, as it distributes weight more evenly, but is dearer. The depth of the memory foam layer varies from being a thin strip (a few cms wide) to a deeper layer. The thinner this top layer is, the cheaper the mattress. When you lie on one of these ‘double layer’ types, it seems very soft for a few seconds, but then you realise the firmness of the sprung bit underneath. Perfect, in fact!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.