Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 years ago

Oops, looks like your night out has started without us! lol 😆

chloeautumnx
3 years ago

Ha ha! I’m sure I posted much more than just ‘hey’. Sorry!
Well, I was posting because it was my first night out since being diagnosed. Felt a little bit weird and it was the main topic of conversation but I held it together and did well.
That was until I seemed to have suffered insomnia last night! Woke up from 2am-4:30am with numbing and tingling in my legs and toes, as well as my usual arm tingles. Does any one else suffer from this?

stumbler
3 years ago

@chloeautumnx , a good rule of thumb for managing MS is balance. By this I mean a healthy, balanced diet and a balanced lifestyle. A balanced lifestyle is one that avoids extremes.

It’s all about managing fatigue, which can be a major symptom, and avoiding “annoying” our existing symptoms.

There’s an interesting “Spoons” theory that’s concerned with managing MS. It’s worth a read :- http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

The other thing to try and avoid is stress. This is stress in any shape or form. There’s lot of anecdotal evidence which suggests that stress can lead to relapses.

Anyway, did you enjoy your night out? 😉

chloeautumnx
3 years ago

Yes, it was definitely at it’s worst last night! Did I ‘annoy’ my body then by going out?
I guess I will learn all of this in time.
Night out was good thanks! Just an Italian meal and didn’t stay out late.

stumbler
3 years ago

@chloeautumnx , it’s hard to give a definite answer. What I suggest is that you “listen” to your body. Your body will give you certain signs, like telling you that it’s tired.

It’s going to be a learning curve for you to work out what your limits are as you start to manage your MS.

MS can be seen as an uninvited lodger. This lodger is unwelcome and can cause problems, yet you can’t evict them. So, you have to find a way that you can both live in harmony, without upsetting each other.

It’s a case of finding the right way for you to continue living your life and enjoying it. 😉

chloeautumnx
3 years ago

I guess so @stumbler!

chloeautumnx
3 years ago

It’s definitely an unwanted lodger!

us-emma
3 years ago

I love the Spoon Theory- thanks @stumbler!

At first my friends all wanted to know what they could do for me. At that stage, not much. I was ok.

Most meds make you a bit more susceptible to the common illnesses. So now I tell people (or ppl around them- kids, family friends, my coworkers) to warn me if they have been sick. If I am invited to a party everyone who is going knows to avoid me if they have been sick or I reschedule,etc.

People love this job- esp kids bc it is sanctioned tattling 🙂 I get reports when friends of friends are sick. People say ‘no hug today I was sneezed on at the grocery store’ and other funny notes about their day.

This is good for you- but it is also good for them. An MS diagnosis makes other people feel helpless to ‘make thing better’ and they really can’t. Asking them to help you ‘destress’ is not specific but might get you a free spa day 🙂

A job like watching out for infections is something they can do to show you they care & are thinking about you. It is helpful to you & they can understand why this helps you in a concrete way.

Maybe this hasn’t come up, but just in case this has worked well for me 🙂

chloeautumnx
3 years ago

Thank you for the advice @us-emma. I’m going to try that!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.