kitty369 25/11/17
Last reply 2 weeks ago
NHS Ill health retirement experiences

Wanted someone to talk to who has been through Ill Health retirement preferably with NHS Contract.

I really want some help thinking this through and working out what to do, I am really struggling at work and don’t feel capable of doing it, I feel constantly guilty and like I am letting my team down. I feel stressed and anxious about it all which is stopping me from sleeping. I am exploring Ill health retirement. I think I might need to acknowledge I can’t do this job with the health needs I have, then focus on doing something else that I CAN DO, my self esteem is crumbling ….
any NHS ex employers taken ill health retirement ? I need advise

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

@kitty369 . the best people to advise you on your options is your Union. Are you a member of Unite?

And, do try and de-stress yourself. This is a situation NOT of your making. You are one of us unfortunate ones.

cameron
5 months ago

I know nothing about your specific query but looking at your profile see that you are newly diagnosed. You sound very sure that your health needs are incompatible with your work, but this is just to say that things may change. Before you take steps, it might be worth really talking it through (by that I mean the medical side of things) with your neuro team. Is it the case that you’re worsening? If so, are you on the right drug? Who is looking after your symptom needs? Might things improve if you took official sick leave for a recovery period? My personal experience is that the two years following diagnosis saw the most ups and downs in my condition. It was a rollercoaster, no doubt exacerbated by the stress and uncertainty of it all. It started to improve when ‘reasonable adjustments’ were made by my employer. A shift in responsibilities (they became more paper-based) and an office move made enough of a difference to allow me to carry on. In that time, I attended a lot of clinics for various MS symptoms and those helped stabilise me. I don’t know your situation, but I think you should be accessing help and support, not going it alone. xx

kitty369
5 months ago

Thank you for your comments. I have been struggling for many years physically and with my cognitive functioning. It was a sense of relief to get a diagnosis as I thought I was going crazy with all the investigations and no reasons for my pain. I have a stressful demanding job, with high expectations and a lot of demands. I thought my health was due to the fact I was working silly hours and pushing myslef to far. I now realise that my job significantly impacts on my health. I have had 3 bouts of optic neuritis which all came at times when work was taking over my life. Work have put in place reasonable adjustments, but the demands of the job are such that I just don’t think I can do it and stay well. My symptoms have got worse since starting medication and I know I need to ‘see that through’ and ‘stick it out’ but I also know I can’t do this job and the pressure (even if from myself) to do it is having an adverse effect on my symptoms and my mental health.

kitty369
5 months ago

I don’t have a union, I am going to talk to my MS nurse about things. I admit I haven’t got my head around it all, I don’t know if it’s the right course of action. I just know what things are changing …

cameron
5 months ago

That’s a good idea. It does sound as though you have a lot going on medically. If some of those issues could be resolved…..

marci
5 months ago

I am also in a very high stress demanding job, and am looking into early retirement. I work at 911 Center- dispatch police and fire. Also take 911 emergency calls.

I’m slipping on the quickness of my reaction times. Have actually been written up by the boss more that EVER. My short term memory has gotten terrible, and that is a HUGE issue at my job. Brian “fog” too. Such a hard disease to deal with….

Diagnosis 1 1/2 years ago. I am not as quick as prior years at this job. 4 more years before I can retire…. just not sure if I can make it thru. . . . which is a very bothersome feeling. Its on my mind all of the time.
Sounds like Kitty, you are in understanding of my issues? Take care all –

twinmummy
4 months ago

Hi. I also work in the NHS. I definitely understand your stress levels and am logging back on here for the first time in a year because after a rough patch at work, and ill Health within my family meaning i am burnt out, I feel like I have new symptoms but don’t know whether I am imagining it. I’m pretty sur though that in order to claim ill health retirement with our pension scheme, you have to be able to demonstrate you couldn’t work in ANY job within the NHS. I could be wrong but it would be worth you calling NHSSBS and talking to the pensions folk about what they would require in order for you to access your pension. Also, do talk to your MS nurse as they will be able to offer further advice about whethe there is anything more your work could do. Sadly, the NHS is a tough tough work place right now and I’m not sure three is the slack in any service to really make adjustments that properly support their staff (made worse by those of us who feel terrible guilt at letting down our colleagues or hate dumping on them when they are already stretched). Good luck whatever you decide x

lm12463
4 months ago

Hi
I don’t work for the nhs, but I work for the local government. Which now with the health and social care merge will be similar soon. We can check our pension online and get quotes for I’ll health retirement and just retirement based on different ages. This may be something worth looking into as not having enough money after retirement may cause more stress and pressure to find other work.

abeasley
4 months ago

I have taken retirement on ill health grounds from the NHS. I was a GP with an exemplary attendance record and I knew when I was diagnosed that I would not be able to continue and be safe.
I contacted Occupational Health and listed my symptoms and the problems I was having. They supported my application and I was awarded a Tier 2 pension.
I would advise that you contact Occupational Health and talk with them as they do this sort of thing all the time.
Best of Luck

topsyjkv
4 months ago

I was retired by NHS due to my ill health. Luckily back then 1991 the benefit system was easier to navigate. Best advice is ask CAB and MS society for an help and advice they have.

kitty369
4 months ago

Thank u all, it feels better that there are other people either in similar situations or who have have worked through. I am also concerned about my employer dismissing me on incapability on health grounds, I don’t know how you can migitgate that pathway and steer down an ill health retirement pathway. It seems to me that the evidence gathered is much the same for both courses of action, but obviously the outcome is catastrophic if dismissed due to incapability on health grounds, I really don’t think I could handle it.
What is CAB? Never heard of it, thanks all xx

stumbler
4 months ago

@kitty369 , CAB is the Citizens Advice Bureau. There should be one in your locality.

I don’t believe that you can be dismissed on incapability on health grounds. The other two options would be early retirement on health grounds or early retirement, with the former option being much preferable.

Get down to the CAB and they will explain your options and your rights. You need this advice quickly, as the worry and stress this is causing you are not good for you and your MS.

kitty369
4 months ago

Thank u, I have just tried to contact the citerzens advice but it has closed!

I have found a neighbours CA website though so going to have a good look through.

My employer is currently progressing an HR process to terminate a contract of a colleague on capability on ill health – she has MS …. ☹️

sallms
4 months ago

I’m a GP and have ups and downs although recently a down period…however occ health are extremely resistant to retirement (probably because it will mean one less GP). I know of colleagues who have taken it.

It depends a lot on occ health. I agree with other posters though, get access to Work come and assess you as they might be able to help with adjustments.

Good luck and lots of hugs xx

omega-female
2 weeks ago

Hi @kitty369 I hope you don’t mind me resurrecting you thread but I’m in a similar situation and wondered how you’re getting on. I’m in the NHS too and I also just don’t think I can do my job anymore. The fatigue is so overwhelming that even after cutting my hours I am just a zombie between 1 and 3pm everyday, and my cognitive impairments mean i often just can’t follow what’s going on/forget stuff all the time (though I try and write everything down).

It’s making me so stressed because I feel like such an idiot and that my colleagues must think I’m so lazy/stupid.

I just think I need to get out but there’s no way I can afford to just walk away…

kitty369
2 weeks ago

Hi

I am off to OH in the morning. Happy to let you know how u get on.

Totally fed up with this crappy condition, I feel useless at the moment and I can’t get on top of pain management so feeling constantly rubbish doesn’t help.

To be honest I could t care less about work at the moment because I just feel dreadful…. this is nearly 2 months post Lemtrada (maybe I was expecting miracle cure)

Sorry for the rant happy Sunday 🤗

Send me a friends request and I will keep you posted.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.