5 years ago
New to this site

Hello everyone,

I have a very long roller coaster with this illness which I’m sure a lot of you have. I found out about this site via my facebook page through the MS society. I really and coming here for support due to the fact that my family and friends are not understanding what I’m going through. This is how my journey began….In July 2010 my boyfriend was killed and this is when I first noticed my symptoms. I brushed it off for awhile thinking I was just stressed out from losing my better half. My balance was off, vision blurry, numbness on my left side, and experiencing what I now was Vertigo. All these symptoms and I kept say I was just really stressed out due to what I was going through. Then one day I feel from losing my balance and was rushed to the hospital. I was given a CAT scan and was told there was something there but I would need a MRI. I put off getting a MRI because I didn’t have any medical insurance. The doctor who saw in the ER that day insisted that I have the MRI and told me let him see what he could do. Months later I had a MRI and was told I had MS. I was very ignorant of MS first I didn’t know any African Americans who had it and I thought only elderly people got it. Crazy I know but unfortunately that was my ignorance at the time. I’m African American and I’m only 29 years old. That’s my story I hope I have not put anyone to sleep with this. I look forward to making new friends on this site!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Hey, Glad you found the site.. I think we are all on a roller coaster to some extent, and as someone newly diagnosed I am definately feeling the “ups and downs”.
This is a great site.. come on every day in the last week or so since I found it.. its just great to know there are people that can understand how you feel.. you can ask any question at any time.. and above all for me.. its the positivity .. the knowledge that it is taking contorl and adapting your life.. and never giving in..
There are people that care and are there for you..
Keep positive 🙂 x

My mum was diagnosed with MS and I knew some of the symptoms like pins and needles in her feet and needing the toilet quickly. I did not realise what the symptoms where like until I got diagnosed!!!

So it is very hard for family and friends to understand. Even other people with MS will have slightly different symptoms. Talking to family and friends and describing what it feels like will help them understand.

Thank you both for responding I appreciate it! I’m looking forward to the knowledge from this site. I will continue to talk to family and friends. Thanks again!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.