acacia 12/06/18
Last reply 2 days ago
New to MS & to MS Shift

Hi All!

I am newly diagnosed (diagnosis received in April) and met with my MS Nurse yesterday who recommended I join this site as it is full of friendly, helpful people also affected by MS….so, I thought I should say hello. I haven’t really spent much time on forums before, so please excuse me if I get any protocol wrong, but it felt odd to join and not introduce myself. I don’t really know anyone my age (37) with MS, so I’m looking forward to getting to know more about the site and hopefully finding a positive way to make my way through this crazy new addition to my life. ๐Ÿ™‚

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

stumbler
6 days ago

Hi @acacia and welcome.

The Forum has minimal rules and negligible protocols. My philosophy is if it feels right, then follow your instinct and do it.

We are friendly. We also understand the problems more than anyone else. So, ask questions, contribute or just have a rant to get something of your chest. It’s all OK.

๐Ÿ˜‰

acacia
6 days ago

Hi @stumbler – thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been having a browse round and it seems like a great community from what I’ve seen so far. I was relieved to hear that there was a forum like this – all of the medical staff I have been dealing with have been fantastic, but of course they are coming at it from a different perspective to people who have actually been diagnosed and then lived through it. I’m only at the very beginning of my journey but know that there is a long way to go and it’s such a comfort to know that there is a place like this where MSers can ask for and offer support.

grandma
6 days ago

Hi Acacia and welcome. We’re all quite safe here, you can a rant, a moan, a cry, a celebration, whatever. We dont judge, you aren’t saying or doing anything we haven’t said/done ourselves in the past. I’m an old codger as you can guess by the name, diagnosed 24 years ago and been through it all. There is no such thing as a silly question with ms, if we don’t always know the answer, “we know a man who does” usually Stumbler! We’ve even been known to make a joke occassionallly, can’t guarantee it will be funny but hey who said life was perfect๐Ÿ˜

vixen
5 days ago

Hello @acacia, itโ€™s good to meet you. You sound nice and on top of things! Iโ€™m really pleased that a few lately have been pointed this way by their MS nurses. Most of us here seem to have good support around, but yes, no one can quite appreciate what it feels like to be us, other than us. We all try to support one another and the search button above is really useful for researching previous topics. Hope you enjoy, stay well and focused x

lightning87
5 days ago

Welcome ๐Ÿ™‚ I am recently diagnosed (31) and donโ€™t know anyone either my age with the condition but here seems a good place to get to know others living with the condition and getting info x

peterfrancis
5 days ago

Hi and welcome to the site acacia.

And just to let you know I’m 36 and was diagnosed with secondary progressive ms last year.

It’s all new to me too, despite being diagnosed about 7 months ago, the info given to you by Docs/ Nurses/ Neuros can be overwhelming and tricky to comprehend/understand, so sites like this do come in handy when trying to make sense of things.

timthebear
5 days ago

I’ll toss in on this since you’re not far off my age (33) I was diagnosed April of this year and whee what a ride. I briefly went on buspirion for anxiety but the side effects bothered me too much, now I walk almost every day and get in the pool as well.

I’ve been trying to enjoy each day more and that’s what turned me around, making sure I’m active makes me feel so much better. Make sure and stay positive!!

acacia
5 days ago

@grandma @vixen @lightning87 @peterfrancis @timthebear @stumbler

I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your really lovely and welcoming comments. The last couple of months since I receive the diagnosis have been a bit overwhelming and it brought a (happy) tear to my eye to have you all welcome me into this community so readily.

wobbler
5 days ago

Hi @acacia you are among friends here, I’ve been diagnosed 11 years now and wish I had found this forum years ago. This a great place to share experiences and information.

acacia
5 days ago

Hi @wobbler – it’s only been 24 hours since I joined and I am already feeling so grateful that my MS Nurse recommended the site. As I am sure you know, it’s really scary finding out that, after a (very fortunate) lifetime without any real health issues, you suddenly have a life – changing condition. Knowing that this site exists and is filled with people who have also been through this, and are ready and willing to help each other out, share stories, and show that life goes on (albeit not in the exact way we expected) is such a comfort.

rambles
5 days ago

Hi @acacia and welcome. I’ve found everyone on here is friendly and helpful and like you was so glad I was recommended the site (in my case the GP found out about it for me). There is lots of useful information to be found just by using the magnifying glass at the top of the page but you should definitely feel comfortable to post a question any time you have one. There is so much experience among members (of all ages and from all different parts of the country and beyond) to be shared …! Wishing you well. X

acacia
3 days ago

Hi @rambles! Thanks so much for the tips and welcome. Will definitely be checking out the info via the magnifying glass – seems like there is tonnes of really useful information here to look through.

lightning87
2 days ago

I am still waiting for my big meltdown (sure it will come in time) but think just now Iโ€™m more relieved to be out of limbo.

No matter what our journeys bring, we all have each other. You need a special pass to get in to such a club ๐Ÿ˜‰

X

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.