Last reply 3 weeks ago
New to MS

Good afternoon, here is my story. I woke up on May 1st, 2019 EXTREMELY dizzy, balance problems and couldn’t stop throwing up. Ive never experienced anything like this before. I went that night to the urgent care and was told it was just vertigo so I was given Antivert for nausea meds. After a couple of days I returned to work but had lost feeling in the right side of my tongue and face. Still extremely dizzy and not eating much because my taste was off from my tongue being numb. The following week I saw an ENT that said I had an inner ear infection. Nothing was getting better and I was feeling worse by the day. I went to the ER because I knew something wasn’t right and they did and MRI and CAT scan which lead them to set me up with a Neurologist because some scarring showed possible MS. I finally saw my regular GP and he gave me a steroid shot and antibiotics to help with the inner ear infection. On May 16th, 2019 I saw my neurologist and he did blood work, and VEP test and set me up for a lumbar puncture to confirm the potential MS diagnosis. The next day he started me on IV steroids for 5 days followed by 6 days of the pills to wean myself down. I feel better but my vision is still blurry and I’m still a touch dizzy at times. I was just wondering how long others have had there vision compromised and how long it could take to resolve after this apparent flare up. I glad its better but I’m just scared and looking for others stories to try to find some comfort in.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

bing15
3 weeks ago

Ahh horrible experience for you, but all of us are different so even though I’ve had exactly what you are describing we don’t necessarily recover the same I recovered in 2 weeks, but my latest relapse was more severe so it’s taken much longer (3 months and counting) the improvement is visible, but this time I’m definitely starting medication, hope you recover very soon😘

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@beckbeck82 , Steroids may seem like a quick fix, but they are still working with your body for 6 – 8 weeks to help your recovery.

Visual problems can take a bit longer to recover, but never give up hope. Just rest up and allow your body some time and space to effect the recovery.

beckbeck82
3 weeks ago

Thank you both soo much. Im just glad my vision is better. Im definitely taking my time to rest and recover. This last month has been very scary because Ive never had more than a sinus infection my whole life so to wake up soo sick one day for no reason was the beginning of a crazy roller coaster of emotions and feelings. I am blessed to have found this support group and to know Im not alone and we are all fighting. Thank you again sooo much!! 🙂

jennifer_hopson
3 weeks ago

My first big flare was facial paralysis, too. But the left side, and much of my left arm. I thought it was a mild stroke so i went to urgent care, who sent me to the er. They thought it was a tumor so I got sent to a place with good neurological dept. That time was pretty rough, and I can’t imagine having it dragged out like that! I’m glad to hear your flare is mellowing out!

beckbeck82
3 weeks ago

My MRI did show that I have had a tiny stroke as well at some point but my doctor doesn’t think its related to all this going on. Its very scary to lose control of your own body like this and not know what’s causing it or what’s really happening. Luckily my vision is all that are still being affected right now and its getting better so hopefully I’m on a road to full recovery. I’m just taking it one day at a time.

sparkle38
3 weeks ago

Hi beckbeck82,
I empathize with ur story especially the feeling of being scared. I had excellent health myself until February this year. I was stood talking to a friend after a cup of tea and a long sit down. We were about to go our separate ways when I fell to the floor from a standing position with no warning. I was conscious while standing and concious on the floor but have no recollection of what happened in between. The following day I woke up and felt really I’ll 4 no reason at all. 1st visit of 2 in 4 weeks from paramedics. Short story long nhs wait so went private as knew something was seriously wrong with me and after an MRI scan got diagnosed with RRMS 02.04.2019. I’m a positive joyful person 95% of the time but just been watching a programme on tv (diysos) helping a guy with ms and it really hit home the reality of what i have. Waterworks followed. I know there will be good days when I sparkle but there will also be days/moments when all I want 2 do is sob. I’ll take the 5% and feel the joy in every moment of everyday whilst I still have ability to function as I choose. 😙

beckbeck82
3 weeks ago

Thank you @sparkle38…..I am a very positive upbeat person too so I am trying to research as much as I can and stay positive knowing there are so many medical advances in the world of MS. I haven’t been clearly diagnosed yet with the specific type I have although my Neuro is pretty sure it will be the mild common form (RRMS I believe). I am 36 years old so I guess it’s hitting me now with my age.

sparkle38
3 weeks ago

We r close in age beckbeck82 as i am 38yrs old. We are both still young. Dont write yourself off just yet. Im confident there’s still loads of healthy years ahead of us. Especially as u reminded me of the medical advances that occur everyday. Pleased to hear u too r a positive person. I find this outlook really helps especially on a 5% day! Remember to sparkle & enjoy all the positive experiences life shares with u 😙

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.