Last reply 2 months ago
New to having the possiblity of m.s.

My dr says he is almost 98% sure I have ms but wants a spinal tap I’m a little scared because less then24 hours after I had my first mri with contrast I started having shaking of my left arm and stuttering and not being able to talk the way I did before I’m not sure if these are symptoms of ms or just a reaction to the contrast it is weird the shaking only lasted about 5-10 minutes and the speech seems to come and go when I hear interviews with Selma Blair it’s almost like that’s what my speech sounds like to me when it gets all out of shape but it’s not all the time only when I’m stressed or tired as of recently and I just wanted to know if anyone in this group experienced something similar and how to go about explaining to my dr what is going on ? Any advice will help because I go back to see him on Tuesday tomorrow afternoon. Also I’m just so tired all the time sometimes I forget how to breathe and swallow but I think that might have to do with having too much stress anything will help thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@dalebrooks , that contrast dye can have “Interesting” effects, almost as soon as it’s injected. It felt to me like I was literally filling up, I sneezed and everything was fine again.

It’s always wise to write down all strange symptoms. The reasons are two-fold. One, it provides a list for the Neuro at your next appointment. And, two, it allows you to unload the concern, so you can stop worrying about it.

And, yes, worry and stress will make all your symptoms feel worse and may invoke further unwanted MS activity.

rogersouthall
2 months ago

Dalebrooks, I am no expert but, speech can have its ups and downs, later at night I stutter and also repeat myself, leg and indeed limb tremors are also common. Being on this site has helped confirm a lot as it is evident that MS can affect people in so many different ways, there is not a text book answer.
A spinal tap gives a definite answer and really is not all that bad, try not to worry too much. I am beginning to sound like I am repeating my self but I write a monthly blog where I try to list all that is happening, good and bad, but what I have learnt is that after almost two years MS lives with me, not the other way round, have a read
http://www.wholesorts.com
Good luck

dalebrooks
2 months ago

@rogersouthall no your not repeating yourself and yes I do see your point I am a person who was a born worrier so with this new knowledge that I could have m.s. I’m trying to take up activities like yoga and meditation but I have three kids under 5 and I had to take a leave of absence from my work my husband is a stay at home dad and it’s mostly ok the good days are really good the bad days I have to tell myself you can make today better and mostly I do it’s just tough and I’m struggling see I was a depressed kid on and off anti depressants so I know what it’s like to deal with a disease that people can’t see when I took my leave from my work everyone was telling me but you look so normal and you can still walk I said yeah but it hurt and I have shooting pain going down my lower back through my legs and feet and they go numb sometimes and sometimes it’s hard to remember how to breath and I need to be able to relax and I can’t do that at my work it’s definitely an adjustment thanks for reading and responding

dalebrooks
2 months ago

@stumbler thank you for responding as well i think maybe by hearing my neurologist said that there was a really possiblity of having ms made me accept my shortcomings more and the stress of oh holy moly all these things that were and are happening to me is all part of a bigger disease and it made sense i was relieved and really scared but I have resources I can use like this website and I bought a whole lot of books too but thank you for reading and responding again

grandma
2 months ago

@dalebrooks what a pickle! We say that people like you are in ‘limboland’ a horrible place to be but as @stumbler says don’t worry, stress is not good if it is ms and we’re always here to ‘unload’ on. We’ve all been through it, and though we wouldn’t wish the diagnosis from hell on anyone we’ll be here, all 👂’S if it does turn out to be the beast.🥊

dalebrooks
2 months ago

@grandma thanks for responding it sometimes helps to know that even though I’m in this in between place of being diagnosed that there are still people willing to reading and understand it really means a lot to me thank you I really mean it and I only have a week and 2 days until my spinal tap so it isn’t that long

potter
2 months ago

A lot of the articles on the internet may scare you but you can’t believe everything you read. I was diagnosed with MS when I was 55 but had MS symptoms since my late 20’s. They were so sporadic I couldn’t get my doctor to take them seriously. From the age 30 to 40 I owned a wallpaper and paint store. I worked ninety hours a week, in my 40’s I went back to college to finish my degree and decorated part time. My son was is high school so this worked well I could schedule my day around his. When I was 45 my mother died of ALS at the age of 64, I was told because of my family history of MS and ALS that I had a 50 percent chance of being diagnosed with one of them. My husband and I decided that I should quit decorating and enjoy working in my pottery studio. I was fifty when I started having trouble with stairs, we had a three story house. So I designed a new smaller house with no stairs to build. We sold our old house and built the new one with the help of a contractor doing a lot of the work ourselves. I am still working in my studio and I can still walk, I may hurt everyday but that is a part of life. Right now I am making a mural for a porch window. I just wanted to let you know that life goes on after a diagnoses of MS. You just have to fight to not let it take away from you the things you love. Potter

dalebrooks
2 months ago

@potter thank you so much for sharing with me sometimes I get so discouraged about the pain I feel and how much I can do today was a good day I was able to make breakfast lunch and dinner with breaks of sitting resting and walking in between and I took my time and thought out what I was going to do instead of thinking on my feet and I don’t feel bad that I need time to figure out weather or not I can go back to work or not my Drs have told me that the m.s. lesions on my brain look like they have been their a while and they aren’t sure how it could go undiagnosed for so long but sometimes unless your looking for something wrong you won’t find it thanks for the support and sorry about the rant it’s great that life still goes on and I like that I don’t feel like I’m the only person that went through this not that I wish ms or anything like it on anyone but you know thanks anyway

potter
2 months ago

Ranting and raving is what this forum is all about. The only people who truly understand MS is people who have MS. So rant away we might just join you. This morning I woke up early and decided to get a early start on the day. Before I could get out of bed nasty MS started stabbing me in my foot and face with pins and needles. I decided my body was telling me to go back to sleep. I woke up a hour later no more pins and needles. I tend to over do it when I am having a really good day but I pay for it the next day. Most of the time it is worth it. Once you start some treatment you will feel a lot better at times almost normal. It doesn’t sound like you have to much longer before you will have to decide on one. Time to start researching, don’t let the side effects scare you. Every medicine has problems and the doctors monitor you closely and take you off of it if there is any problems. Good Luck Potter

dalebrooks
2 months ago

@potter thanks so much for your support it means a lot and I’m one of those people that over do it too my husband says that I’m like a sports car going from 0-60 in seconds and he’s a big truck but I over do it even times when I don’t think I do but I’m listening to more of what my body is saying now and if I wake up and still feel tired I to have to go back to sleep and I almost always wake up bettermore alert with less pain and less fog almost normal which gives me hope which is good thanks again it helps to know I’m not alone

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.