Last reply 5 years ago
New site

So we have a new site- hopefully with far more social capabilities… No doubt there are things that can improve… If you have any ideas please share them here.
Thanks
Freddie

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

freddiems
6 years ago

@loulou left two replies to this post, which due to us being in Beta – and things changing all the time, seem to have disappeared. I received them by email, because she responded to my post (one of the many new features that we are excited about) but due to on going refinements of the site they seem to have dropped off the edge of the interweb! So I thought I would re- post them here as there are some really valuable thoughts – so the below is from @loulou:

“Hi, trying to work this site out!!! the yellow post its will be hard to read for those with sight problems, also alot of the text is very small, Cannot work the map out and the “who’s online” is a bit invasive, it seems you cannot even be on the web these days without everybody knowing! I am on the map in totally the wrong place, I will persevere for a bit I guess, just read this back and this text is soooo small, will check back in a week or so to see if any improvements”

“helo again, you did ask for comments!!! my eyes are starting to strain now,
as Gav commented, on speakeasy you cannot view comments oh and the log in would not accept my usual password Any chance you can put all these things right?”

My eyes are straining too – thanks loulou, welcome to the design team – anyone else with input please do share.

Thanks

F

julesak
6 years ago

Can move pages at the ‘post it’s’ but once I have gone onto a topic i can’t get to the next page. Very frustrating! Wondered if it was cos accessing via iPad?

freddiems
6 years ago

@julesak yes this is something that we are aware of and are set to get sorted! Unfortunately as such a small team things take time, but it will definitely be sorted… thanks so much for letting us know, if there are any other things – especially related to accessing the site through a tablet we would love to hear.

Lillylilly
6 years ago

Hiya Freddie,

I don’t know if it’s my laptop or not, but when a list of comments go into a second page, I cannot access them. I click on the “2” and the arrow beside it but nothing happens.

freddiems
6 years ago

Thanks @Lillylilly thats one we are aware of and working on, please do all keep them coming.

munchies
6 years ago

Hiya Freddie

I’m still trying to work my way round the site but getting more impressed the more I’m working out.

I managed to change my location back to UK but I’m obviously missing something as I can’t find the map that you can use previously. (Also just a small thing but even though my D.O.B is correct it’s showing me as a year older!!! The cheek. Ha ha)

I also find it a little frustrating that if you are on someone else’s profile where it says last comments etc, you can’t finish reading it without having to come out of their profile to try and look for the post.

I might fathom it all out in a few months eventually.

Just want to say thanks though as this has really been my main support and information, apart from family and friends.

Well done.x

freddiems
6 years ago

@munchies thanks for the kind words, we are so pleased that the Shift.ms community has provided the support we hoped it would! We will be working on all things profile based soon, but as I think I have said before, we are a very small team with limited resources, so changes will happen they might just take time! The Map is also on it’s way back soon – we just want to get it right before we bring it back.

munchies
6 years ago

Hi Freddie

It was in no way a criticism as I know you’re a small team doing a fantastic job.

I just thought it was obviously me being stupid not being able to find the map etc. I struggled to find this message again – I had to go through my activity and click on the message that you had replied above as I can’t find the ‘Feedback’ forum!!!

I will find out what I’m doing eventually.

Thank you
Kathleen

mrss2008
6 years ago

Site works great with my iPad. Only thing I can’t do is select an image for uploading a profile photo. No biggie, I just need to remember to do it when I turn my computer on! Love the site & the friendliness of it, keep up the good work.

ophelia
6 years ago

I was a bit confused as to how to get to the “sex, drugs and rock and roll” section as I would have expected the title to be hyperlinked and take me to the forum/post it’s (which ps I think is great!!!) eventually found out how to navigate via the speakeasy tab but it took me a while!! Also I tried to send a message to someone who I wasn’t ‘friends’ with and it wouldn’t let me so don’t know if that’s something that’s a work in progress.
But overall I love the site!! Keep up the good work!!
Ophelia.xx

freddiems
6 years ago

@ophelia thanks for your great feedback. We are looking at the links for headers, some think it is confusing having multiple links to the same place, but I think I’m with you and the headers on the homepage or elsewhere should link to the relevant pages they refer to.

The messaging is perhaps worth some real thinking about, I guess with it the way it is it can help keeping the site self regulating, as people have to be friends before they can send messages to each other…ie in a way that is like an acceptance that they want to receive your message. Whilst Private messaging(PM) can be a useful way to make friends…we were thinking of changing friends to something like ‘add to address book’ at some point, which might make more sense if it also allows you to PM?

it would be great to get more peoples thoughts on this…

ophelia
6 years ago

Maybe having an option to opt in/out of being able to receive PM’s then it’s down to personal choice? As all of us are coming to this through the weird world of the Internet as opposed to “real life” im finding the concept of adding ‘friends’ a bit…strange? I don’t know if that’s the right word!! I’ll talk to anyone and everyone!!

f3ng5hu1
6 years ago

I really like the site so far, no probs with the text size even with the optical neuritis (perhaps those people with probs have their screen resolutions too high?).

It’s great how you guys have made it possible for us to connect with people like ourselves who have ms rather than just sites that offer advice in the medical sense, that for me is the best part of what you do here and thank you so much for that!

The post it style note system you have is quite unique, quite different from other forum boards i’ve been used too. Maybe some editing options for the posts so not so many typo and grammar mistakes creep in.
Was thinking perhaps have a live chat area as well for typing and receiving typed messages within the community.

The site works well ‘as is’ though so the above is just idea’s.
I really appreciate that you’ve made it possible for us to have a ‘community’ like this, really am grateful, ty 🙂

gpeps
6 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts @f3ng5hu1. Really good to hear you find the text size okay. It’s difficult to know how big to go, but I think you’re right that people can make changes on their own computers if necessary.

Live chat is a great idea. It’s something we’ll add to the ‘to do list’ and once we have the time/money, we’ll make it happen.

We’ll also look into editing options for the forum. We’re you thinking of having a spellcheck?

It takes us a bit of time to get things done but hopefully you’ll be seeing little improvements happening from time to time, with new sections coming soon…

Thanks so much for your ideas.

George

f3ng5hu1
6 years ago

I didn’t notice the ‘edit’ option before when posting, I see it now=)

I’m ok with or without a spellchecker really but useful for some people no doubt.

re the chatbox, if that gets implemented that would be a really nice addition to the site.

If at any point you need help with moderating the site, ie keeping an eye on posts and making sure no abusive elements or spammer factors creep in I would be willing to help with that too as i’m mostly at home and on my PC a lot anyways.
I’ve been a site mod before so I have some experience of that.

f3ng5hu1
6 years ago

I think why i didn’t see the ‘edit post’ option before is because it disappears after a short while which isn’t so bad, at least it gives people the option to correct mistakes while they are making a post initially.

smallfry
5 years ago

i like the site .. it needs a like button or something! kinda like facebook! but other wise i like it . took a min to figure out though!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.