Last reply 1 year ago
New Member from Portugal :)

Hi everyone! My name is Ines, I’m 25 and I live in Portugal. I’m a new member and I was really happy to find this site 🙂
I found that I have MS in November 2011, so this is something that is recent for me, and I still fell anxious every monday when I have to take the Avonex 😛 lol.
In Augost 2008 I noticed that my left hip and part of my leg was feeling numb, I went to the doctor and she say that was nothing…maybe a back problem and told me to go swim. After 2 months of feeling that numbness it sudendly stop. But after 6 months after I did a walk to my work my left leg stated to feel tingling, but I thought that was just my “back problem”. One month later I woke up and felt really dizzy, and this didnt stop for 2 weeks…went to doctor, did a ear exam… “Maybe you’re tired, don’t worry it will stop”. Yes, it stoped… but my left leg until today, everytime I walk for 5 minutes, the moment that I stop the tingling starts again…
October last year I went to a Neurologist and after 10 minutes explaining my story, he suspected right away (but didnt tell me) i did exames…that I never heard of. When I was waiting for the results I had a relapse again (nausea and dizzyness) and 2 days after, my doctor called me to go to hospital in that day, and I asked him if he already knew wht it was the problem, and he said he wasnt sure and I needed to go to stay on the hospital for a few days and do a LP. My hart jumped…”LP? but…do you think I have MS??” he replied like he didnt want to tell me ” It may be…”. When I hang up the phone, looked at my husband and started to cry so much…
My idea of MS wasn’t the same as today, and like me in that time, there’s a lot of people that dont know what is MS. When I tell people they think that probably in a few days I’m going to be on a wheelchair or die -_-‘

xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

thechunkeymonk
6 years ago

Hi Ines, welcome on board!

Even though there are a lot of people who have MS, it is still something that a lot of people don’t understand. You often only hear about the extreme cases in the newspapers, which doesn’t really represent the majority of people with MS.

It is also very common that it isn’t diagnosed when symptoms first occur, as they can be so varied that they often get mistaken for something else. This means that it can be a shock when you do find out – it was for me to – but you seem to be in a positive frame of mind at the moment, which is a really good thing.

If there is anything that is worrying you then this a a really great place to get some friendly support and advice, so don’t hesitate to get in touch.

🙂

catarina
6 years ago

Olá Inês=) I’m Catarina, I’m 26 and I’m also portuguese (and clearly, I also have MS=P) I found this space a few days ago and I am delighted with it – so many stories, answers and people with so many different views and experiences… I found out I had MS in october 2010 and have experienced all kinds of reactions: I was optimistic, then angry, then sad, then optimistic again, it’s been almost 2 years now and I’m still “hangovered”. But I’m still playing football when I can, partying, traveling and keeping optimistic. We have MS and, therefore, 2 choices: living with MS and a bad temper because of it…. or living with MS with as much joy and humour as we can. Its easiest to say then do, I know, but I really believe that’s what we should think, even in those days we just want to “mandar todo o mundo ao raio que o parta”. SPEM (sociedade portuguesa de esclerose multipla) asked me a few weeks ago to start a blog about how to live with MS and all other things, and I am receiving all kinds of stories and testimonies from very strong people, who just happens to have MS (as we do). Its in the beginning, and it obviously its much more modest than this space – but its aboutt portuguese people with ms, it’s one more place to go and, well… more close voices are starting (just starting) to be heard=)its eoutrascoisastambem.blogspot.pt
Beijinhos, feel free to write me if you want*

inesmartins
6 years ago

Olá Catarina! You made my day 🙂 I know your blog since you started, it’s in my favorites list. I saw your post talking about this site (shift.ms) and that is why I am here. So, thank you for writing! I think you are an amazing writer, and a very strong girl! I see myself in alot of the things you say, and I think you’r right, the best thing is to be positive. It was the first time that I wrote about my experience in the internet and it felt good 😛 I was hidding and tried just not get involved, but I realised that It’s good to write about what’s on your mind.
I would like to talk to you again, was really nice to “meet you” 😀

Beijinhos e fica bem

inesmartins
6 years ago

Hello @thechunkeymonk! thank you for your message. Sorry I answerd Catarina first, Iwas quite excited to think that there were other portuguese people on this forum 😛

Yes, I’m getting more positive and this forum is helping me 🙂

Take care and keep well

catarina
6 years ago

oh….. and I was thinking “what a coincidence, a portuguese girl finds this place in the exact same week as I do” – yes, that makes sense, I’ve pointed out this place on the blog;) (I thought no one would take it seriously=P) Well, I’m glad you did!! Thank you for the nice things you said…. I’m blushed now=P. Yes, it is amazing being able to write about all these things we feel and question(the blog is a good thing even for me – its easiest to keep positive when you write it down and can ask questions that will be understand =)!
Que bom que alguém me deu bola sobre este site, já valeu a pena=)!!! Muitos beijinhos, bom domingo*

pecpinto
6 years ago

Hi,
I´m from Portugal, and, yes, I heard about this site in “eoutrascoisastambém”. Whe are not alone, many of us have no contact in Portugal and meet in site´s like this. MS is with us and we must learn how to enjoy life with it…

Be well with “it”

djdsouza
6 years ago

I have a Portuguese surname but am not Portuguese! The only words I know how to say in Portuguese are ‘obrigado’ and ‘oi’! 🙂
(my family’s background is from Goa, a former Portuguese colony in India)

t
6 years ago

I’m fluent in Spanish (but not Spanish)… does that count too? 😀
Welcome Ines!x

djdsouza
6 years ago

You could have said bienvenido! 😉

t
6 years ago

Hehe! 🙂

inesmartins
6 years ago

Hello @pecpinto! Great to have one more Portuguese in here! Thanks to Catarina 😉

@DJDsoouza: that’s really cool 🙂 Have you ever been in Portugal? and by the way it’s “Bem-Vindo!” in Portuguese 🙂

Hi @t 🙂 I can understand Spanish, I think…lol If it’s writen, because Spanish people speak so fast… I can only understand some words.

djdsouza
6 years ago

Heheh..@inesmartins am learning Spanish again, so vocabulary is more Espanole than Porrtugues! (ignore the lack of comments on the letters, am on a UK keyboard!)

Have been to the Algarve twice, Lisbon once or twice (have my dad’s cousins there) and Porto (very nice) once

inesmartins
6 years ago

@djdsouza That’s nice, I live in the Algarve, always sunny in here 😀
It’s good that you are learning Spanish, I think people should always try to learn a second or maybe third language 😉

djdsouza
6 years ago

@inesmartins, the worst thing is I studied French at school for 7 years, read Camus and Voltaire, and still can’t hold a proper conversation in French! I don’t think my head’s designed to be bilingual, just to learn Thank You in every language, and how to swear! 😉

inesmartins
6 years ago

@djdsouza dont worry, I studied French at school for 7 years as well and it’s like I never did… And I was very lucky with English, because I was terrible at learning it at school, the good thing was that when I finished my last exam, I’ve met my husband (British) and I had to learn it… but the diference is that this time I had a good reason to learn the language eheh.

djdsouza
6 years ago

Haha.. i need to move to another country. Hopefully Paris, France and meet a nice French girl to help educate me!

inesmartins
6 years ago

eheh 🙂

cheshirecat
1 year ago

Olá @inesmartins. I’m portuguese too, and an MSer, diagnosed in 2014. I agree with @catarina when she says and I quote her – “We have MS and, therefore, 2 choices: living with MS and a bad temper because of it…. or living with MS with as much joy and humour as we can.”
That’s it. I also swim and travel and party with friends. I try to cope with the issues – I have a slight MS, I’m luky, but I don’t know if it will always be this way, cause this is an unpredictable and cruel condition.
It is true that we see MS in a different way when we have it. We realize life goes on and there are these so many things we do just like we used to. Of course there’s that “cloud” over our heads and we don’t know if it’s just a possible shower or…. a storm coming. But I stay in a positive mood. 🙂
Fica bem, espero que não tenhas uma EM pesada e cheia de sintomas.
Também espero que leias isto, pois o teu post é de 2012!
xx

inesmartins
1 year ago

Olá @cheshirecat !
Thank you for your message. It is been a while since I wrote that topic and been here in this website/forum.
I was very scared and MS was part of my life (thoughts,decisions, etc). I had some dizziness and horrible insomnia, almost started on medication for depression, but fortunately I got away from that.
You are right, we do realize after awhile that life goes on. You just need some time to discover yourself and of course the way you look at things and what you decide to change is going to make all the difference in your life. It made in mine.
It is very good that you decided to stay in a positive mood, because I am sure thats one of the secrets to be free from the symptoms. Stress is bad.
My symptoms are very light as well, just the occasional pins and needles.
Fiquei contente com esta mensagem de um portuguesa, ainda por cima bem positiva. Obrigada.
Fica bem.
xx

nickydc
1 year ago

Ola todos!
I am so happy to see some other portuguese MSers on here! 🙂
Where abouts in Portugal are you all from?

stumbler
1 year ago

@nickydc , there is a group for Portuguese MSers, to allow you to chat together.

You’ll find the Group here:-

Groups

nickydc
1 year ago

Thank you @stumbler 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.