Last reply 4 years ago
Neurophysio today.. :D

I’m really looking forward to my first visit to the neurophysiotherapist today.. I can’t wait to maybe be able to walk normal without a stick, the furniture, the walls and a constant fear of falling over. What have been your experiences of this kind of physio..? 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

lina
4 years ago

[email protected] how long have you been waiting for this appointment I’m still waiting so I’ve booked an appointment with a physio clinic to get started. Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Lina x

northernlass
4 years ago

Hi @lina I think realistically I have been waiting about 4 months but I have been on the phone checking what my position in the queue was for several months and they phoned me yesterday to suggest an appointment today.. so today was all about being assessed and finding out what I wanted from the physio sessions.. (Walk normally was at the top of my wish list..) so I will be going back next week to work on my balance issues. Keep phoning up Lina to ask politely where you are on the Neurophysio’s list.. Best of luck 🙂

judy-gy
4 years ago

I was going to post this as a thing on it’s own, then I saw your post. In December I said to my Mum, look 10 mins ago I couldn’t walk across this room, but look now I can do it strongly and purposefully. I was diagnosed in June, I was walking with a stick, at my worst I couldn’t get to my neighbour’s gate. Of course these times may come again. It may be remission, or it may be my meds, or it may be the 5 weeks of phisio I have just been discharged from, but it’s all different now.
This week I have been getting in and out of cars and walking the short path to work without my stick. When I think about writing this down it makes me want to cry. I took the phisio who had worked with me a badge of a badger and tole her it was a Badger of honour (Joke from Corrina Rothwel). I hadn’t believed what she could do with me could make the improvements it has. There have been lots of exercises to do at home, I have seen my abilities improve in those over that time. Near me there is a circular .4 of a mile route, pre diagnosis I was trying to walk round with an umbrella walking stick to “keep my strength up” and weakening towards the ned. In the last week, I have managed much on my own and the last part with stick. an arm, in 15 mins. Cerbs, now curbs are another matter, scary things curns! Jx

lina
4 years ago

[email protected] will try next week hope yours goes well

Lina x

reddivine
4 years ago

Interesting. i’ve got an appt in Novemeber with neuro-physio so will report back then.

northernlass
4 years ago

That is fantastic judy-gy well done you and OMG yes curbs are horrible.. (maybe I should have said I would like to be able to go up and down curbs without a stick.. 🙂 ) and best of luck to @lina and @reddivine with your appointments when you have/get them.. and yes keep us updated 🙂

cameron
4 years ago

Neuro physio got my hip back to normal alignment from its post-dx position of sticking out half a mile (or so it seemed). While I was on holiday I kept seeing this girl with exactly the same sticking-out hip, plus my limp. Obviously I couldn’t be sure but I’d have bet money she had MS. I was dying to go up to her and tell her how I sorted my hip. I never did, there was never an opportunity, it was not my busness and she might have bitten my head off anyway. So – good luck with your appointments. In my book neuro physio is best thing since sliced bread.

graham100
4 years ago

Well sorry but I thought it was a wast of time, 20mins. It was couple of months ago she said its a bit hot in hear today so no exersize just a bit of stretching. After 2 appointments she said just keep doing stretches, don’t think you need to come in again. And I left the room on my crutches and got to my wife waiting with the wheelchair those hospital corridors and the physio is right at the end?? Clever. Lol

cameron
4 years ago

@graham100 – sorry to hear you found neuro physio a waste of time. I guess it also depends on the individual therapist and some are better than others. She clearly didn’t really diagnose which muscle groups are affected and tell you straight. Stretches etc. are all very well but too generalised to be really helpful. My lady right away found the portions of the leg, hip and foot which were demyelinated and which were unharmed. That was encouraging because I’d thought the whole leg had ‘gone’. From there, we moved to working out which movements were improveable (if there’s such a word!). And so on. A shame for you. If you ever go down the FES route, their therapists are excellent and you get 1.5 hour appointments as standard. Good luck anyway.

graham100
4 years ago

Been sent to a couple now, but really not impressed especially when i hear the sort of help others like yourself get, first one was about 16 was reading a questions and asked me what I was expecting to get out off it. Hello. Thought you was going to help me.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.