Last reply 1 year ago
Myelin Regeneration Therapies

Hello everyone,

As we know, Myelin regeneration is something the medical community dont have the answers yet. While research is on, I was wondering if anybody has seen improvements in symptoms caused due to demyelination using other therapies including supplements. Something that caught my eye recently ..

Diet mimicking fasting promotes regeneration and reduces autoimmunity and multiple sclerosis symptoms

Was it on this site before ?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4899145/

I’d like to try it sometime. I know its a little hard but a lot of us are ready to improve our quality of lives with a little sacrifice. Was wondering if somebody around here may have tried it out.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

matic91
1 year ago

It sounds interesting and kind of promising. Nevertheless there are certain risks with every change of our eating habbits.

vasy
1 year ago

I used to take CDP-choline for some time, 5 or 6 months after reading that it could be neuroprotective and help with brain fog.
And after some time passed VEP test (https://www.mstrust.org.uk/understanding-ms/diagnosing-ms/how-ms-diagnosed/what-it-have-evoked-potentials-test)
And it showed that speed of conduction improved from the last time I took that exam year and a half ago — 103/103 ms vs 105/109 ms before. So it is 6 milliseconds improvement in latency … first time readings were abnormal, and second time borderline normal. My MS neuro got no explanation for this.
Guys from ms research blog suggest this is remyelination and pubmed suggest that it is very unlikely that VEPs improve with time, generally they do deteriorate further, and improvements in latency reliably linked to remyelination.
All this could be coincidence and/or readout or interpretation failure.

Other from that, amounts I took were huge and that gave me tremendous headaches and depression in the end — both known side effects of dietary choline, so I ceased.

vasy
1 year ago

The paper on CDP-choline can be read here https://academic.oup.com/brain/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/brain/awu358
although cdp-choline metabolism differs in rats and in humans so there is a question if this applicable, so observation is the post above can easily be someones error

stumbler
1 year ago

@arknat , is this the original post that you mentioned:-

https://shift.ms/forums/topic/the-52-diet-to-help-with-ms ?

I have been very interested in this for a while. Victor Longo is the main champion for this from UCSC. He has some ted talks that are worth watching:

There are some risks with fasting that would want to try to balance. The FMT isnt the same as 5:2 and there is a company called prolon that Dr Longo has thats trying to put one out for MS.

Worth a try, I did the fast a couple times to see how it would feel. It was a little hard and I am not even a big fan of eating, so little concerned how hard it will be on my wife.

Important things to bare in mind that if it makes you stressed, unhappy etc it could also have negative impacts on your MS in other ways.

arknat
1 year ago

@stumbler – Thanks.

I wonder why larger studies on MS patients have not been conducted though research/pubmed shows some good results. Brutal but agree its definitely worth a try even if there’s a small improvement in the outcome which is otherwise standstill or deteriorating. Not sure about side effects on MS itself though.

arknat
1 year ago

@vasy – From what I understand, choline stimulates the production of neurotransmitters but doesnt do much in nerve regeneration. That could explain your quicker responses, faster reaction time etc. Restoring functionality that is lost due to de-myelination is why we need the nerve and myelin regeneration … Nonetheless, choline is a useful supplement to use if you have brain fog, cognitive issues and slower reaction times.

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hi everyone, I thought you may be interested in this post from a forward thinking US dr.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/04/24/burning-fat-for-fuel.aspx?utm_source=wnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art5&utm_campaign=20170504Z2_UK&et_cid=DM144634&et_rid=1992095816

I also follow the ketogenic diet and it’s working brilliantly for me. I’m not sure I’d be able to fast as I like food too much, although I did follow the 16:8 eating pattern for a few months and that worked too.

vasy
1 year ago

Hi @arknat
this compound certainly showed remyelinating properties in animal models, you can read that in paper cited above.
Other studies found choline and uridine to be neuroprotective in other ways
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10561698
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18587708
etc, etc
Unfortunately this still not confirmed in human trials

As far as I understand, there is general consensus that nerve conduction speed only can change due to de/remyelination (or applying potassium channel blockers eg Fampyra which mimicking the action of myelin sheath on demyelinated fibers).

arknat
1 year ago

@vasy,

Just read the link from your previous post. I had read about its neuro-protective properties for stroke patients. But just got to see about its myelin producing OPCs and oligodendrocytes proliferation. Yet another area where human trials can be easily conducted. Never taken choline supplements myself. I wonder if the amounts needed for any action needs to be sufficiently large. What were the amounts you took ? I don’t want to end up with head aches! I’ll probably go easy on the dosage.

vasy
1 year ago

@arknat, I took 3 grams a day, which roughly equals to dosage used in cited paper.
Up to 4 grams where used in clinical trials in stroke and dementia for prolonged time, so it should be pretty safe

Yep, I agree… it won’t cost much to conduct such trial. But who will pay? This compound is readily available and can not be patented
And as far as I understand it is said in the paper that mechanism of action is not fully understood, so even if it works in humans pharma does not know how to synthesize patentable analogue

arknat
1 year ago

Thanks @vasy

potter
1 year ago

arknat have you done any research into Biotin. I had read several articles on small research studies on Biotin repairing Myelin, results seem to be hopeful. I started taking 100mg of Biotin and have worked my way up to the max dose of 1000mg of Biotin a day. I figured if it didn’t repair Myelin, maybe it would do something for my thin brittle nails and thin broken hair. Potter

merfield
1 year ago

Potter, I’ve also got (splitting) brittle nails but thick. Thin broken hair though. Has it helped? The bonus is worth a try, Myelin repair is the goal but ancillary repair is good for morale.
I’m sure working up slowly is key. I tried colostrum, full dose straight off which upset me plus I’ve had no improvement though others obviously have.

arknat
1 year ago

@potter – Actually had not. Looking into it now .. Sounds very promising. Will start including it in my myelin renewal regimen. I saw some MS’ers with a 5000mcg dose (easily available in amazon) seem to benefit with tingling and numbness. As I was saying earlier, even a small benefit to feel closer to what you were before is worthwhile. Some to summarize for others in the community.

Highlights:

-High-dose biotin is a promising novel treatment for progressive multiple sclerosis.
-300 mg biotin daily improved MS-related disability in an open-label study.
-Biotin is essential for fatty acid synthesis and energy production.
-High-dose biotin may promote axonal remyelination by enhancing myelin production.
-High-dose biotin may also reduce axonal hypoxia through enhanced energy production.

Unlike Choline, studies have been conducted on Humans and more trials are in the offing. Seems like its mainly used for progressive forms of MS but I would think it should support relapsing-remitting types as well. As mentioned, side effects only seem to be doing good 🙂

potter
1 year ago

I read an article lately that taking Biotin twice a day works better. Next time I am ordering the 5000mcg and taking one in the morning and one at night, I already do that with my CQ10. I am also ordering my Tumeric with pepper in it next time. I found out Tumeric works better with pepper taken with it. You think you have something thoroughly research and then something new pops up. Potter

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.