Last reply 2 months ago
My symptoms could be my back

Hello, I’m brand new to this. Anyway I’m a 31 year old male. I was diagnosed with ms about 7 months ago. Relapsing remitting. Anyway my symptoms are dizziness, balance, shaky legs, and I can’t stand on my feet for long periods of time or walk longer than about 5-6 city blocks. Now, on top of ms I also have 3 bulged discs in my spine at the L3,4 and 5 area with the L3 disc pressing on my sciatic nerve root. Does anyone have any or all of these symptoms? I’m trying to decipher what’s ms and or what is my back. Thanks in advance

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

ron_s_perrin
2 months ago

Also I’m on a 2 month waiting list and I’m too anxious to get any advice. My gp and my mother both think I need a spinal fusion.

grandma
2 months ago

@ron_s _perrin Hi and welcome. Not a medical expert but your back problems are unlikely to be connected to your ms. After all ms is like a ‘furred up’ kettle that is your brain. The myelin sheaths are damaged and that’s why you’ve got the symptoms you have. Are you on any treatment? It must be a pain in the butt dealing with both at the same time. Have you got an ms nurse? There are drugs that can help alleviate a lot of your symptoms, I.e. Dizziness, balance, shaky legs, all very common with ms but all can be helped to some extent so see your ms nurse if your gp isn’t really helping. That’s also quite common so you are not alone. If you can walk that far you are a lucky man, it could be that a walker/stick might be of use if you know you going further than the corner shop for a pint of milk. I don’t really walk any more but can still manage around the supermarket by holding and leaning on the wheeled trolley. Let’s deal with one thing at a time, small steps mate🥊😜

edmontonalberta
2 months ago

@ron_s_perrin

So close yet so far; if I could afford the gas I would drive over for a beer… 😉

I had spine surgery just under 3 years ago then was diagnosed with MS six months later. I suspect everything above my waist is spine surgery related; everything below is MS. Since I am getting absolutely no help from the medical field, I am on my own…

Foot drop, walking like a drunk, lack of balance, bladder (etc) are all MS related. Numbness & tingling in my arms & hands are spine surgery. Dizziness is probably due to the beer… LOL

Hope this helps!

edmontonalberta
2 months ago

I should have added. The spine surgery was “spine fusion”. They took a tiny chunk off my hip, went through my neck – stuck that bone between two vertebra then bolted everything together.

stumbler
2 months ago

Hi @ron_s_perrin and welcome.

The following is a long article on herniated, or bulged, discs :-

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/lumbar-herniated-disc

It does appear that this and MS can share certain symptoms, so identifying what’s caused what could be problematic. Eliminating one cause would clear the picture a bit, but is this possible, or even recommended?

I’m not medical in any way, shape or form, but I hope the information is useful.

ron_s_perrin
2 months ago

Thank you everyone! The advice and links are helpful!
@edmontonalberta I’d say that’s an awful long way to drive just to find out I don’t drink! 😂 I’m a recovering addict, I am over 2.5 years clean, and I can’t afford any relapsing with either my recovery or my ms! Take care

rmdaniels
2 months ago

@ ron_s_perrin
I had similar symptoms starting about 6 months ago b4 I was diagnosed with MS. Severe pain in my back & hip, numbness in my left leg which got progressively worse & they did a lumbar MRI. Said I had two herniated discs, L4 – 5. However, the orthopaedic doctor said the MRI showed no compression of the nerve root so they needed to look for “other neurological causes” of the symptoms. Two MRIs and a nerve conduction study later, the brain lesion was identified. The neurologist said the “age” of the lesion corresponded to the timing of the onset of symptoms. Since then I’ve also had a few days where my vision is very blurry, bladder problems & I’ve fallen going up & coming down steps. Had 4 days of Solu-Medrol infusions mid February & I’m finally seeing some improvement.

edmontonalberta
2 months ago

@ron_s_perrin

50 / 50 odds my wife & I are driving to Manitoba in May. Our trips are usually direct through Saskatoon but if you like, we can take the scenic route for a dinner.

I can’t change who I am; yet I never impose my lifestyle on anyone else. So if you are comfortable with me having a beer, we can get together & chat…

Gord

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.