Anonymous 13/03/17
Last reply 1 year ago
My laptop reflects my life

It’s bumped, battered & bruised, it gets there but it’s slower than it used to be, it’s no longer shiny & takes a long time to get started in the morning, you can’t type fluently without going back & double checking the last sentence said wasn’t gibberish.
The £ key doesn’t respond unless you belt it, both the M & S keys have minds of their own, sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t, the control button is melted around the edges & makes an odd noise when I use it, & the Y key just ignores me, so I have to go back & repeat myself. If it’s not plugged in, its battery drains really quickly & shuts down without warning.
There are the tops completely missing off some keys; but it’s been so long since I use them I don’t remember what they did anyway.
However with all its foibles, I’ve had it so long, it doesn’t owe me anything & it has all the programmes I need on it, it’s set up exactly as I like it & I know my way around it (& it’s quirks) quickly. I could change it & probably will do one day, but at the moment it’s all mine & I’ll get on with whatever it throws at me.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

cameron
1 year ago

Sort of metaphor for dealing (successfully!) with your MS!! xx

mrratcatcher
1 year ago

Sounds like personal reflection to me. You don’t say what flavour of OS it has but assuming it’s elderly Microsoft, replacement probably means having to adapt to Windows 10 which people seem to either love or hate. I would suggest you use someone who is familiar and competent with moving the stuff that you use across – and always back up your documents, photo’s and music to an external drive first! You can get a reasonable spec laptop for around the £400 mark. Like your body it is probably uneconomic to repair!

Anonymous
1 year ago

Always run with a massive external hard drive & back everything up, turned off Windows 10 up dates – so working quite happily with Windows 7 premium, do regular scan disk, defrag & anti virus. she’s old but clean – apart from the cup of coffee I just dropped on her – twice. 🙂

mrratcatcher
1 year ago

I took Microsoft’s free upgrade offer when it was available and haven’t had any problem with Windows 10 like some have had. I’ve used Windows for years and have found that if you scratch under the surface all the versions are pretty much the same – the difference being in the length of support Microsoft gives. Even the old programs that were written for older versions tend to work ok. Antivirus is usually a really bad resource hogger so I would recommend Webroot Antivirus if you are having that kind of problem with speed and use the built-in Windows Firewall.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Get a iPhone toggy saves farting about I’m still on Windows XP in the music studio still stick te what thee knows don’t bother hooking it up to internet too many distractions eeeeee I reet miss making sweet sweet music maybe time to get the dust off bertha when I move house probs much to the wife’s disgust he he he

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Nice metaphor type thing tho We’ve gone all techy and off piste ⛷

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.