Last reply 3 years ago
Muscle Spasticity

I’m suffering with chronic muscle spasticity and wondered if it’s considered as a relapse.

It started in November 2014 as a diagnosis of tendinitis but lately I have tried muscle relaxants and the pain eased off dramatically but not completely.

I have been on Diazepam lately which came up with the muscle spasticity theory as my pain virtually disappeared. I can’t obviously take them all the time so I have been given Baclofen as a lighter muscle relaxant instead.

Baclofen helps for a while with Paracetamol & Tramadol but not enough that I can return happerly to work as it doesn’t take long to wear off.

So would a course of steroids help me and should I push my MS nurse of some because she is adamant it’s not a relapse but I’m otherwise convinced it would help.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@mrvelocity , you need to push your MS Nurse because the present solutions are not resolving the problem.

However, I’m not sure that steroids would be the answer either. They would specifically address any areas on inflammation on you Central nervous System (CNS), which would be relapse activity.

So, if it’s not a relapse, the steroids wouldn’t really help.

Have a read through this :- http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/types-of-ms/relapsing-remitting-rrms and see if you fit within this definition of a relapse.

The acid test would be an MRI scan with contrast……..

patricia
3 years ago

Also worth a try, diet under the inspiration of this doctor who overcame many symptoms of MS,& lots of info here if you wish to look at, also on youtube ,just type her name in http://terrywahls.com/about/

mrvelocity
3 years ago

I will ask about the MRI but I haven’t had one since 2011 when I was diagnosed.

It is a whole new occasion and different from anything else previous but it’s gone on for 3 months now and I’m getting annoyed with the conditions I have to live in with it. I want to work but can’t because I can’t walk far and my job is mainly walking. I could go on the checkouts but then my back will start off if I do that so it’s hard to decide what to do.

Housing conditions:
I’m in a good sized 2 bedroom flat but there are 6 people and the daily tasks are made harder because it’s so cramped. This doesn’t help my problems and I can’t do anything about it as my local council hasn’t got anywhere suitable for us unless they have removed us for turning down a previous offer which was in a poor location for me to maintain working as I would have to walk up a steep hill to get there.

stumbler
3 years ago

@mrvelocity , you’re going to have to push your MS Nurse regarding whether it’s a relapse or not. And to review the medications to something which might assist the problem. Use your GP as an arbitrator and see if you can get them onside to help you.

As to your housing situation, try talking to the Council. If you’re not happy, you can escalate the situation to your local Councillor (the one that you voted in at the local elections). And, if that fails, you can take the issue to your MP.

Just be polite in all your dealings. The rantings of Mr. Angry never accomplish anything. 😉

graham100
3 years ago

Though I do agree that you should get onto the MSnurse even if I cant. Just worry that if we keep telling them nothings working they will get fed up and simply say. You are now SP. Go away and stop bothering me. No more drugs for you. Would be hard to argue??

stumbler
3 years ago

@graham100, if you are SPMS, like me, you’re just not considered for DMDs.

But, we still need to manage pain and fatigue. I’m always bending their ears about Fampridine, Sativex or anything which may improve my quality f life.

Don’t be forced into quiet resignation!

graham100
3 years ago

Hi @stumbler. Thanks I was totally mislead, probably by myself. lol. Ok no DMD. Now I understand.

mrvelocity
3 years ago

I have been told I have to ask my neurologist next time I see him to get an MRI but that’s not until November as it’s once a year.

I’m toying with asking my GP but that could be a while before I get one.

stumbler
3 years ago

@mrvelocity . well, that’s as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Your problems are here and now!

Have you been offered anything to help you now?

mrvelocity
3 years ago

Baclofen & Diazepam if I really need it. I’m starting to get depressed again even on anti depressants.

I’ve been off work almost 4 weeks now. I want to go back but after last time, the pain it causes isn’t worth the risk.

I’m waiting to get a call back from nurophysio and I’m going to call again tomorrow as its been a couple of days since I called them and left a message.

mrvelocity
3 years ago

I’m still suffering bad with my hip and all I keep getting told is I have to wait for the treatment centre to call me for an appointment to get some insoles for my shoes.

When I asked about a MRI I was told my Neurologist has to give me an appointment. Now the last MRI I had was being admitted to hospital in 2011. Before that my GP was able to get me one as I was suffering with back pain.

I’m starting to become really depressed and argument between my and my partner are becoming more frequent again because of my attitude with the depression. I’m on 100mg of Sertraline already and I still feel down as I’ve been stuck in for 6 weeks since it kicked off again.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.