Last reply 4 months ago
MS & type 1 diabetes. Again…

I know there have been previous posts about having both diseases, but they seemed quite a ways back. I have had diabetes for 30 years (since the age of 6). Was diagnosed with MS just a couple months ago so I’m still taking it all in. For those of you that have both, how have the 2 interacted? I feel like my dizziness is far worse if my BG is at a good level (especially when hypo). This was not a hypo symptom I experienced previously. Has anyone less noticed this correlation? It’s gonna be total BS if keeping one well controlled is going to negatively impact the other…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
4 months ago

@booh85 , there have been quite a few previous posts on the subject of Diabetes.

Use the Forum Search function (magnifying glass, top left) and search for the term “Diabetes” to locate them.

booh85
4 months ago

I did. That’s how I knew they were all older & therefore couldn’t really continue a conversation.

stumbler
4 months ago

@booh85 , OK, let’s hope you get some other responses. 😉

peppergirl
4 months ago

hi @booh85, I’m type 1 for 26 years (now 40) and RRMS formally diagnosed in July 2017. I was misdiagnosed with 8 metastases on my brain in June 2016 (not by a neurologist) but this was quickly reversed to diagnose ADEM. Due to this trauma, my blood glucose was all over the place. I also developed anxiety where my whole right side muscles would clench every 5 minutes, even when I moved to pick up a cup of coffee. This new ‘symptom’ only added to all the confusion…cancer, anxiety, who knows. They left me in limbo for a couple of months then ADEM. Anyway, the diagnosis of ADEM (unknown, why?) and the massive stress made me focus on the diabetes! I had tried low carb a few years ago which worked, but as this is not mainstream, I figured I was doing something wrong and gave up. This time I thought, well I’ve been lied to and the doctors clearly know nothing, so I’ll try again and its now 2 years later. My HbA1c is now at non diabetic levels (31-35) and for me, it makes things easier to manage. I’m able to separate MS symptoms from hypos/hypers as I only have very mild hypos every now and again. I have a libre, which I paid for until recently when my CCG agreed for it to be added to my prescription, which helps me manage my blood sugar better. For me the key has been normalising my blood sugar. I relapsed last March (which led to the MS diagnosis) and knew it wasn’t diabetes related (double vision, numb foot, balance) so I didn’t have that confusion again. Since diagnosis my hypo symptoms are the same, but I feel more aware now because of normalising my blood sugar. I’ve not had any new symptoms since my last relapse, not sure if its the Copaxone or low carb or both.

peterfrancis
4 months ago

Hi booh85

I have had Type 1 Diabetes since the age of 11 and was diagnosed with SPMS last year.

The only real problems I have had is remembering to take my insulin and remembering correct doses.

The Neurologist stated that I had most likely had MS for years without knowing it and believing the symptoms displayed to be hypo attacks.

booh85
4 months ago

Hi @ pepper girl. Thanks for your response! I am definitely still trying to figure out how the 2 diseases act together. I was doing well with my diabetes when I was out of work while in limbo, but am struggling now that I’m back at work. I just feel like I’m constantly trying to evaluate what’s going on with my body. More so than when it was just diabetes I knew about. I guess I will figure out the balance eventually. Thank you for the encouragement!

booh85
4 months ago

Peterfrancis, looking back I probably have had milder MS attacks that I was unaware of. I had a really bad case of optic neuritis in May that led to my recent diagnosis. But there have definitely been other things previously that I brushed off that could be explained by MS. Thanks for your response. It’s a lot to muddle through & I think it just helps to talk about it.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.