Last reply 1 year ago
MS Support Group in Bristol NEEDS YOU!

Hello all,

My name is Ami and I was diagnosed with MS in August 2013. I have been on a mega journey of self discovery and am still learning every day what does and doesn’t work for my overall health and wellbeing. Although there are many great MS services out there, I feel that Bristol needs a regular and positive support group and I need your help to get it off the ground!

I come from a health and social care background and have retrained as a Bach Flower Remedy and Reiki practitioner and I personally believe in a holistic approach and a lot of PMA to treat my own MS. I by no means have this nailed and I’m not saying there aren’t many dark days, but I would like to create a support group which invites relevant and varied guest speakers to empower and give those attending some additional coping strategies for their daily MS toolkit. I have secured a venue through MS Research based at the Vassall Centre in Fishponds and we are ready to go, but I need your views so that the group appeals to a majority and isn’t shaped purely on what I want or feel is needed. If you live in Bristol or are able to travel to Bristol please get in touch asap if this is something you would like to see happen.
I was live on Radio Bristol on 25th April talking to John Darvall about my own MS story and the support group – if you would like to listen the link is available until 23/05/17 and here it is http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04z41fc#play and I’m about 2 hours 11 mins or so into the broadcast.

Really hoping to connect with those affected in Bristol and to hear from you. This support group won’t be able to go ahead if I can’t justify its need and I really want to put an end to the isolation and daunting nature of support groups and create a positive and inclusive space. There is strength in numbers. Love and blessings, Ami x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

ruggermad
1 year ago

Hi @honeysuckle

I’m in Bristol and I think that this is a fantastic idea. I did have thoughts of trying to do something similar a while ago but didn’t know where to start or where a suitable venue could be, etc, so put in on the back burner – lol

When is the group going to meet up?

I think your interview on the radio was great by the way.

Phil

honeysuckle
1 year ago

Hi @ruggermad

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words Phil – I’m so pleased to hear your interest. I’m also pleased the interview didn’t sound too bad as it was soooo out my comfort zone and I didn’t know what he was going to ask. There’s another interview on thebreeze.com under Bristol news too – I’ve been about a bit this week lol.

At this stage its just a case of letting me know what you want i.e. structured, guest speakers if so what kind, what days/times do you prefer, what would you like to see discussed etc etc and then if there is enough interest which even if its just me and you then that’s enough, then I will put together a focus group meeting then something more regular. MS research are sending out my story together with a survey this week to anyone on their mailing list so I’m not sure if you are on that (as I wasn’t). You can email me directly [email protected] or contact MS research or I can give you a call and we can have a chat – whatever works for you 🙂

Look forward to hearing from you – Ami

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.