Last reply 4 days ago
MS Positives?

Now I know for a that people that post on here, it’s about what MS has taken from them, how life has changed and not for the better but not many, if any positives about what MS has given them? Okay, I know it’s a crappy illness, I get that but for me, it’s given me some positives, okay so I had to deal with some really crappy things to get to this point but in hindsight, life is probably better, it’s tough but it’s better.

I found that I’m strong, I have a better relationship with my munchkins as I’ve stopped sweating about the small stuff, I’d rather safe the energy to do things with them and for myself. I’ve started a UNI course, I’ve ticked a couple of places off my bucket list, took the kids on camping trips and road trips, overcome my fear of heights, found myself again, the old me, the outgoing me. Sure I have my bad moments but being able to overcome them makes you strong right?!

So here’s to a happy, healthy, well as healthy as we’re gonna be 2019! May it be filled with love, happiness and new adventures and beginnings!

Now over you guys and girlies, tell me something positive and have MS not all be about the doom and gloom :-)!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

vixen
2 weeks ago

Great idea @chezy17. Fo me, resilience: tick. Not sweating the small stuff: tick. Weight loss through conscientious diet: BIG TICK. The biggest thing: focusing my time and effort on what I want life to look like. No more focusing on what it used to look like. Big love all round x

chezy17
2 weeks ago

Resilience is a great one chick, you definately need alot of that 😊! @ vixen
See it’s not about the negative stuff 😊. X

melmel1
2 weeks ago

@chezy17 love ur post I’ve just been diagnosed but ms has made me seen who’s really supportive and made me want to live life to the fullest.

mamawals
2 weeks ago

MS has made realize I’m not invincible and cannot do everything. Which is a good thing. I used to push myself all the time to do more, to be better. Now I try to be kinder to myself, and make myself a priority too. MS made me realize I do need to sleep and rest and not just go go go all the time.

rivka
2 weeks ago

I second @mamawals. I’m glad I worked so hard and pushed so hard to acheive what I did earilier in life, yet now I so appreciate taking my time to do less and appreciate it more. And learned to put myself first and say β€œno I can’t do that. β€œ

lightning87
2 weeks ago

Being diagnosed with MS has made me appreciate life more. Although I still try to do too much I’m learning to have my rest periods when I need them.
It also gives me the nudge to do things I’ve wanted to do for ages. Like go on a girly holiday to Turkey and sign up for a sky dive next year.
I also appreciate my MS family (shift MS) who are always there for me if I am having a wobble or have to ask anything being recently diagnosed this year.
I also appreciate the people in my life who have been brilliant since my diagnosis, especially my Mum.

d1zzy
2 weeks ago

@chezy17 – great post! Thank you. Sooo helpful to find these positives and to know how others are managing the changes in their lives. I have found it difficult, but a bit of a relief, to start saying no to something’s, or reserve the right to join in but in a way that best suits me. I think I have become more assertive, as I would have always gone with the crowd before.
I hope you have a great 2019!

chezy17
2 weeks ago

@ melmel1 A lot of people always look at the negatives at the beginning, I know I did! Just don’t google lol! Honestly, not everyone is the same, look for the rainbows. Having an understanding support network is great, keep smiling 😊.

@ mamawals I was exactly the same, did everything for everybody always pushing myself without thinking about it. I’ve learned that it’s good to take time to chill and for yourself, makes me a better mum as they don’t have the stressed and tired mum. Not easy when you’re doing it yourself but that’s what family and friends are for 😊. My daughter didn’t sleep properly till she was 5 so I appreciate the sleep now, my now ex used to say go to bed early, but then when you get time for yourself lol?! I know now, why I was always tired, explains alot of things.

@ rivka I’m a late bloomer, doing all my stuff now πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ…at the time I always thought I’ve got time but actually now I just take every day as it comes 😊.

@ lightning87 It definately makes you appreciate life more, you enjoy the little things in life 😊. Haha skydiving is on my list for next year, I’ve always wanted to do it!
@ d1zzy It’s ok to say no, haha now that took me along time to realise although I’ve always been the one that stays away from the crowd 😊.

Thank you, have a fantastic 2019 too peeps 😊.

Keep em coming guys and girlies 😊

edmontonalberta
2 weeks ago

@chezy17

Not relevant yet – just wanted to point out I enjoy reading your blog… Simple, straightforward & positive… Not asking you to do that full time – but a new post every few months would be nice… πŸ˜‰

As far as positives from MS – none for me. I consider MS separate to who I am; similar to me having to start wear glasses as a child. Not my preference yet it is not going to stop me from having fun…

I have always had a good life except for a few “speed bumps”; and life is still good. Had family over last night; some I had not seen for over a year – that was nice… Onward to the new year…

chezy17
2 weeks ago

@ edmontonalberta

Thank you, I do like writing as it helps me get off my chest what I’m feeling and it helps make me feel better. I want to help people if I can, alot of things are quite negative about MS which I understand but it’s not all bad 😊. I will try to post more, that was my intention but thank you again for your kind words 😊.

I, like you, do consider my MS separate to me, it’s just something that makes me tired on occasion but I think what it did for me was made me realise I needed to change, to stop and take everything in and take some time to focus on me and what I want and fun is always good 😊.

Awww that sounds lovely, that’s what Christmas is all about, family oh and good food and alcohol 😜.

Yes, onwards and upwards for the 2019, for me it’s definately about closing old chapters and opening new ones 🍻!

Take care 😊

grandma
2 weeks ago

@chezy18 It made me make a positive effort to do my ‘bucket’ list. 2 down, 23 left to goπŸ“―πŸ˜ I will try and cross a few more off in 2019! Best to all

jolea
2 weeks ago

Positive.
Love the stories. I appreciate what matters and able to let situation go alot more. Maintain a better life style, diet and have you guys 24/7 on website whom understand good and bad times. Who has that. ????
Enjoy New Years Eve. πŸ™†β€β™€οΈLJl.

nutshell88
2 weeks ago

When I was daignosed with MS it has shown me things I’ve never thought I’d notice or think about
First: my family care
Secondd and its an important point
Knowing my own inner strength I’ve been challenging the illness by convincing my self im strong enough to make symptoms stay out of my way

Its mental way of thinking but it really did help me very much
I just keep thinking I’ll keep living my life how it used to be
Never cared about saving I’ll spoil myself and enjoy my time going out work study travel dance
If my way of living has changed one bit i might of bedn disabled now
Im sensitive stubborn girl
Anything effect my emotions effects my MS state
So I’ve chosen to raise about any mind disturbance
Uni

It has also tought me independence
I enjoy making risks alone
It makes me stronger in the inside

And of course i learnt a hard lesson to be grateful for being fine and for getting MS even
I see my friends tired after work they go home sleep
I go shopping visit relative feel im sill stronger than them all just like before.
pardon for typing much πŸ˜‰

nutshell88
2 weeks ago

And of course thanks for the lovely thread. πŸ‘πŸ»

chezy17
2 weeks ago

@grandma Keep checking off that bucket list and keep us posted, ooooo I wonder what you will do next year?! 😘

@jolea Yes a better diet can help but I think that helps most people in general, that and exercise but I’m not one to turn down cake and coffee lol!

I think getting out, even for a walk helps me, I stick my music in my ears and just go :-)! I also think avoiding toxic people and those that bring you down, has a positive impact on your wellbeing too!

@nutshell Don’t apologising for talking, it’s my favourite past-time, I can talk for England, I have stiff competition in my house as my two munchkins can out talk me and that’s hard to do lol! It’s lovely to hear that you just get on with life, that’s all you can do, live it while you can! As for saving, tell me about it, what’s that lol! We can’t take it with us right?!

Right have an amazing New Years Eve all, supposed to be taking the munchkins on a walk but the youngest wants a pj day and the oldest one is hiding out in his newly decorated pre-teen cave!

Tis life!

grandma
2 weeks ago

Another positive thread, bittersweet, but my 2yr old Airedale is being picked up tomorrow by another Airedales, who lives 50 miles away, going on a 300 mile journey with her to deliver her to a very sad (until yesterday!) pensioner who is going to be her new mum. The chauffeur is going to be accompanied on his long journey by another Airedales who also lives 50 miles away from me in another direction. You can’t get more positive than thatπŸ€™πŸ€£πŸ˜

cameron
2 weeks ago

When I’m weighing up whether I want to keep up a friendship, embark on a particular holiday/activity or make any important decision I apply the following criterion: will this a) have no effect on the MS, b) worsen the MS or c) improve the MS. Unsurprisingly, category c) is the least common! It’s been helpful in sorting out my priorities, both with dealing with people and how to spend the money and time I have in the best way. For example, I know definitively that it’s better to stay at home than to be a budget traveller. When I do go away, the number one priority is comfort! And that time spent with people who don’t either understand me or make me feel good is time wasted. Other than that, my life motto is CARPE DIEM – Seize The Day. xx

robbie_brown
2 weeks ago

@chezy17 what a post and what a day to post this, yes MS is a really crappy illness but when I got diagnosed with it this year I actually was a bit glad, WHAT!!!!! Your probably thinking but this was closure for me, I had 3 years with things happening to me and my body which no body could explain and even got to the stage where it was affecting my mental health so my diagnosis was a massive closure.
I know what’s going on with me and what I have to do, my head is in the right place and i have become more confident, so much so I have even started a blog about my experiences to help other people with this, I’m going back to work this week so 2019 IS going to be a good year

grandma
2 weeks ago

@robbie_brown I know exactly what you mean as do several others here! Years of strange symptoms which usually disappeared after a few days, little niggles, funny eyesight, dropping things, tripping up, I was so bad that I frequently was mistaken for drunk! In fact it became a family joke “must take more water with this gin” which I hated, but the mother-in-law drank, and we all disliked her so it was a double whammy. So the feeling of relief when it was all explained by the ms diagnosis, so many things fell into place and the relief that you weren’t going nuts.πŸ‘ΉπŸ™πŸ»πŸ˜…πŸ˜

chezy17
2 weeks ago

@grandma Oh that’s great news chick, you’ve found her a home and it sounds like a lovely one where she will be happy and content 😘!

@cameron I guess I’m the opposite, I kinda just see where life takes me and don’t plan. It will be what will be but that’s just me, I have to budget so I get used to it lol!

@robbie_brown I was exactly the same, relieved because I wasn’t a hypochondriac nor was I lazy. I have a blog, I find that it helps with getting things off my chest and trying to make MS more positive as it’s not all bad.

Here’s to a fantastic 2019 peeps! X

meg_kingston
2 weeks ago

Hi @chezy17 – great thread you’ve started here, lovely to read so many people being positive!

For myself – two things. I only took up writing when I “retired” from work, cos I never had time before. And ticking things off my bucket list, instead of putting them off indefinitely.

chezy17
2 weeks ago

Thank you @meg_kingston , thought trying to find the positives with MS means it’s not all bad :-). Ooooooo writing and ticking off bucket lists are good, there’s a whole world out there waiting for us!

I find writing a blog is therapeutic.

Take care and happy New Year!

hank
1 week ago

hi, just read your post and responses , well done ! really got us all thinking about positive things, i have been thinking about what i would like to do this year that i didnt last year, 2 things spring to mind , swim and do dance with my wife , since balance problems with M.S. havent done either, but this am seeing phsyio to try and improve balance so will see where i can go.
yours
hank

cameron
1 week ago

@hank re: the swimming. It’s great to do but so too is ‘water walking’ if yours is a pool without a deep end. Apparently, it’s a treatment used for horses recovering from joint and muscle problems! And can you access any water-based classes? I find them as good a workout as the gym and so much less boring. No danger of falls, either! x

hank
1 week ago

hi cameron, funny you should suggest water walking, as i am going to see new physio on fri 11th jan to try and improve my balance, and she has suggested using their pool to try and improve balance , so should be able to try water walking as well so really looking forward to it now . have a good new year

hank

dominics
1 week ago

@chezy27 you are right on with this. There are innumerable good things that would never have happened to me.

Well said. HNY to you too!

Best,

Dominic

chezy17
5 days ago

@hank Enjoy the dancing with your wife, life is too short not to try something new right?!

@dominics life shouldn’t always be about the doom and gloom, it’s hard enough as is. Gotta be about finding the rainbows too!

2019 is gonna be our year peeps πŸ’ͺ😊

dominics
4 days ago

@chezy17 – Hear hear.

sam10
4 days ago

@chizy17
I understood reality of live.

fingersandtoes
4 days ago

In the year and a bit since my diagnosis I’ve run two marathons and two ultramarathons, climbed a mountain, kissed goodbye to my two phobias (needles and wasps). I’m determined not to let anything hold me back any more.

cammo
4 days ago

@chezy17
Positives:
1. Quiting a high stress job and dumping the corporate ladder
2. Joining a great new organisation and moving to part time to spend more time with my family
3. Exercising more
4. Having an excuse to take a nap πŸ™‚
5. Prioritizing the important things

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.