Last reply 1 week ago
MS in Australia…

Hello!

I was diagnosed with Relapsing-Remitting MS (RRMS) in April earlier this year. For treatment I take Aubagio.

I have been granted a Working Holiday VISA (subclass 417) for Australia and go on 27th December. In order to get my VISA I had to have a medical which I passed without any problems.

Before I come to Australia I want to know the following:

1. Would I have to pay for my prescription once in Australia?
2. How would I sign up with a Neurologist in order to have required check-up appointments?

Does anyone have any advise?? I am so excited about coming to Australia but very anxious about the health care that will be available to me with my MS.

Many thanks,
Sophia

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

Hi @sophiamonkman and welcome.

You could try calling the MS Society Helpline on 0808 800 8000. They may know the answer as it can’t be a new question.

Or even ask the MS Society Australia (https://www.ms.org.au)……..

kylie
2 weeks ago

Hi Sophia,
I checked out you profile and can see you are from the Uk, Australia has a reciprocal agreement with you (UK) so coming on that visa you would be granted/ able to apply for a Medicare card during your stay in Aus. I believe that Augbagio is a listed drug on the PBS (pharmaceutical benefits scheme) which would mean it is subsidised by the govt so each prescription you would pay $38 and not the full amount. I am on gilenya and if this was not on the PBS it would cost me $2300 per month.
As for how to go about getting a Neuro here- I am not sure about that one- sorry. maybe your current Gp/Ms nurse or Neuro could give you some advise on this.
I would recommend getting a letter from Neuro stating that you are on this medication/ have MS or bring a copy of your medical file so when you arrive and find a doc they can write you out a prescription with no problems.
Healthcare is pretty good here in Australia- once you have Medicare care you can go to a bulk billing doc/ GP and is free. I suggest you read up on Medicare website you familiarise yourself with our system.
Hope this helps you abit. Where abouts are you going in Aus? I am on the Gold Coast

sophiamonkman
2 weeks ago

Many thanks Kylie for all your help and information. I really appreciate you getting in touch.

I am going to Sydney to start with, then doing a tour for a month that finishes in Melbourne so am going to stay their for a few days too. Then I’ll decide where I want to settle.

Thanks again, Sophia

sophiamonkman
2 weeks ago

Many thanks stumbler for your advise, I’ll take a look at both.

Sophia

brando
1 week ago

I live in Australia, as long as you get your Medicare card you will be fine.

The eastern states of australia have a much better service and care, but get in touch with the Australian MS society and they will help you out.

Just an FYI as well if heat is an issue for you Victoria, Melbourne will be way better for you.

Most neurologists will not directly see you unless you have a current GP referral in Australia.

Australia is a great place you will love it here.

Best of luck.

Brando.

misst
1 week ago

Hi Sophia, I live in Sydney and was diagnosed with RRMS last year so have had to navigate a lot of this already – once you’ve got Medicare set up it’s all pretty easy and the healthcare has been great here, but worth noting that not all services are 100% rebated through Medicare so you’ll probably have to pay towards neuro appointments or MRIs if they’re needed but it’s not a lot of money. Definitely worth bringing your medical history with you too. If you have any questions whilst you’re here then PM me I’d be happy to help – you’re going to have an amazing time!
Hannah x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.